Hooks for hanging light?

WillyCornbread

Break and One
Silver Member
I have a 7ft Diamond coming in a month so I'm prepping the room :)

The ceiling is low, so I need to hang the light as close to flush as possible. My joists will not line up with the 4 eye hook anchor points on the light. I plan on making a small wooden frame from door molding, securing this to the joists and subsequently attaching the light to this frame so it will be secure.

I'm having trouble finding ceiling hooks that are both small in length and heavy duty enough that it will be secure.

Has anyone hung a light like this, or have any suggestions on which hooks to purchase?

Thanks - b

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My joists will not line up with the 4 eye hook anchor points on the light. I plan on making a small wooden frame from door molding, securing this to the joists and attaching the light to this frame.

I'm having trouble finding ceiling hooks that are both small in length and heavy duty enough .

1) why do the hooks have to be short? if they're too long they will go into the attic area, which should not be a problem.

2) if you use spreader type drywall anchors, you probably don't even need the wood frame, using 4 should easily hold the weight of the light,

Attachments

• anchor.jpg
    anchor.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 355

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Hooks for hanging light?"

These may help you, but an electrician may be cheaper and do the job faster.

tumblr-girls-on-the-street.jpeg

2strong4u

Banned
The height of the light from the playing surface shouldn't be less than 40 inches. You want the light high enough to illuminate the entire bed but not much else. You should wait and see how the light is on the table when it's there. Dropping it down a few inches can make a big difference in how it hits the table.

WillyCornbread

Break and One
Silver Member
Thanks for the responses! When I said short hooks I meant more on the hook side, because my ceiling is 80" and the light is 6.5" tall, so I'm going to be just at where I want, if I can get away with short hooks.

I don't want to put a 2x4 in because the ceiling is finished and above it is my kitchen floor - so it's either direct with some anchors, or into the frame with some kind of short but sturdy hooks..

I didn't think toggle-bolts in the ceiling drywall would hold the weight - does anyone know the weight of the 7ft diamond light? Better yet, has anyone had one up for awhile with just drywall toggles?

Thanks again - I know this isn't the most exciting topic.

b

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The ceiling is low, so I need to hang the light as close to flush as possible. My joists will not line up with the 4 eye hook anchor points on the light. I

Do you have access to the joists? Run some stringers in between the joists and attach those. If no access to joists, I would take a 1x8 or 12 board, rout the edges to make it look nice, paint it the same color as the ceiling, center it over the light/table and attach it to the joists, then attach the light to it.

1) 2) if you use spreader type drywall anchors, you probably don't even need the wood frame, using 4 should easily hold the weight of the light,

I would not recommend this. Drywall just isn't strong enough to hold (particularyly this much) weight.

DirtyJersey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Span your joists with 7/8" unistrut. Put 1/4-20 spring nuts in aligned with the holes of your light. Use w/e u want to hang from the spring nuts. 1/4-20x3/4" bolts or 1/4" threaded rod with nuts to w/e height you want.
Toggle bolts is very amusing. Better play with a hardhat if you go that route.

fish on

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The diamond light weighs 75 lbs. Assuming you have 1/2" drywall, you can hang the light with four 1/8" diameter toggle bolts(160 lbs capacity).

References: http://www.powers.com/pdfs/plastic/togglebolt.pdf http://www.diamondbilliards.com/Accessories/TableLighting.aspx

I would use the four !/4" toggle bolts with boiler washers but also use some # 10 coarse thread screws ,just drill thru the metal where studs are for added security quick easy and the right way!
The test is, pull hard on light to confirm it is not going to come down!
done!:thumbup:

DirtyJersey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Please ffs do not hang your 75 lb. light with toggle bolts. Think about what a leak in a pipe would do that overwhelming strength of sheet rock. Or choose to go this route

Last edited:

WillyCornbread

Break and One
Silver Member
Okay, so no toggle bolts or drywall anchors - too risky.

I can't open up the ceiling to span the joists with anything, so it sounds like my original plan is the correct one, I just need to identify some hooks to use.

The issue I'm running into is that any small diameter hooks also have small screws. I need a small hook (to minimize the distance from the ceiling) but with a big screw to go through my wood frame...

Thanks again for helping!

DirtyJersey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Span the joists right over top of the sheetrock. There's no need to open any ceiling...just make sure when u screw in the strut its thru the sheetrock and into the joist. Or an eye hook lag bolt and a chain link or some aircraft cable threaded thru. So many options. I'd go with 2 pieces of strut or a piece of 1x2 pine.

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Span the joists right over top of the sheetrock. There's no need to open any ceiling...just make sure when u screw in the strut its thru the sheetrock and into the joist. Or an eye hook lag bolt and a chain link or some aircraft cable threaded thru. So many options. I'd go with 2 pieces of strut or a piece of 1x2 pine.

This is what I would suggest. Like I had said a board on the outside of the drywall could blend in nicely too.

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What I did.

I stained a couple of 2x6's and screwed them through the sheet rock into the wood rafters/joyces. I used big wood screws and pre-drilled the holes. Anchor your light into some wood and be done with it.

WillyCornbread

Break and One
Silver Member
Thanks again for the replies!

Given all the feedback, I'm going to return the molding I purchased to build a frame and go with 2 shallow unistrut channels painted the ceiling color and secured to the joists.

Then I'll use 3/8" channel nuts and some short J hooks to secure the light directly to that.

That should give me a secure mount with very little vertical space dedicated to the hardware.

All your help is much appreciated !

b