Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Best way to roll forward just a bit on longer shots?
Page 1 of 5 1 23 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Best way to roll forward just a bit on longer shots?
Old
  (#1)
longhorns2
AzB Silver Member
longhorns2 has a reputation beyond reputelonghorns2 has a reputation beyond reputelonghorns2 has a reputation beyond reputelonghorns2 has a reputation beyond reputelonghorns2 has a reputation beyond reputelonghorns2 has a reputation beyond reputelonghorns2 has a reputation beyond reputelonghorns2 has a reputation beyond reputelonghorns2 has a reputation beyond reputelonghorns2 has a reputation beyond reputelonghorns2 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Best way to roll forward just a bit on longer shots? - 06-11-2019, 04:49 PM

Say you have straight in shot downtable and you just want to roll forward a couple inches. You can either strike the ball slightly above center, but you have to hit the cb kinda hard so that it doesn't get too much forward roll, you can hit it center ball and have just a bit of forward roll develop, or you can hit a draw shot with less force so it turns into forward roll.

Which do you think is the most reliable? Lately I've been doing the draw type shot but seems like it gives more of a chance for masse effect if hit off center and more of a chance for a table roll

Edit: and I guess you can also just roll it slow but on the tables I play on that's not a great option

Old
  (#2)
billiardthought
Anti-intellectualism
billiardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond repute

06-11-2019, 04:56 PM

Punch the ball half tip above the center: stun run through.

The beatings will continue until volunteering improves

Old
  (#3)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
06-11-2019, 05:04 PM

I think the pro way to do it is to hit it low, at a speed that the cb just turns over before impacting ob and rolls into ob.

That said, the way you approach it really depends on the distance between cb/ob.

Old
  (#4)
bbb
AzB Silver Member

bbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

06-11-2019, 05:11 PM

find your stop shot position for your tip on the cue ball based on the speed you plan to hit it
go 1/4-1/2 tip higher for just "alittle roll forward"

Old
  (#5)
Chili Palmer
Banned
Chili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond repute

06-11-2019, 05:20 PM

I prefer the draw method or slow roll if I know that table is level.

Old
  (#6)
michael4
AzB Silver Member
michael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond repute

06-11-2019, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorns2 View Post

Which do you think is the most reliable? Lately I've been doing the draw type shot but seems like it gives more of a chance for masse effect if hit off center and more of a chance for a table roll
as mentioned above, I would do a drag draw shot for that...…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y__tA70zxas

Old
  (#7)
iusedtoberich
AzB Silver Member

iusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1470

06-11-2019, 05:35 PM

You have to know all the methods so that you can also control the speed of the OB if you are playing a shot where you are not pocketing it.

That said, Iím not good enough to say which is most reliable if you are pocketing the ball. I bet they are all about the same for a given speed player.

Old
  (#8)
ChrisinNC
AzB Silver Member
ChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond repute

06-11-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Say you have straight in shot downtable and you just want to roll forward a couple inches. You can either strike the ball slightly above center, but you have to hit the cb kinda hard so that it doesn't get too much forward roll, you can hit it center ball and have just a bit of forward roll develop, or you can hit a draw shot with less force so it turns into forward roll.

Edit: and I guess you can also just roll it slow but on the tables I play on that's not a great option
I'd guess the drag draw method is the pro's choice. Because you're striking the cue ball below center, the cue ball is kind of gliding across the cloth as opposed to rolling, so it is far less susceptible to rolling off. The cue ball stops gliding and starts rolling just before it reaches the object ball, resulting in the cue ball rolling just slightly forward after contact with the object ball. Of course this shot takes much practice to execute with consistency from different distances (cue ball to object ball) and different distances (in inches) you want the cue ball to roll beyond the object ball.

Last edited by ChrisinNC; 06-11-2019 at 05:51 PM.

A learning opportunity
Old
  (#9)
Imac007
AzB Silver Member
Imac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond repute

A learning opportunity - 06-11-2019, 05:39 PM

Take a striped ball and use it as a cue ball. Hit the ball below center and notice how it first skids, then spins backward, eventually friction stops its backspin and the ball appears to almost stop then rolls forwards on its circumference. The moment between forwards and backwards is key. If a second ball is hit at that moment, the cue ball either stops or goes at 90į to the object ball path.

The lower you hit the ball the more backspin. The more backspin, the more it acts like brakes on the cue ball. The trick is to learn what happens if you hit a stun shot using varying amounts of backspin and speeds, so that the spin evaporates half way to the object ball. On a straight in shot that you want to roll ahead a foot or so, imagine hitting a stun shot at a ball half the distance away.

Start with a medium stroke. See how far the ball rolls forward after direct contact. Now hit it with lower adjusting the force so that the backspin disappears in the same location. The different speed and backspin combos result in varying follow distances. You need to establish a base reference then adjust from there on the table based on needs.

A firm stroke with center ball often skids most of the way and doesnít develop much forward roll. Learn what you get for results with your stroke.

Old
  (#10)
MitchAlsup
AzB Silver Member
MitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond repute

06-11-2019, 06:00 PM

Drag shot is the best option.

A drag shot is hit with backspin, but only so much that the CB makes the transition to forward rolling a couple inches before hitting OB.

Old
  (#11)
Push&Pool
Professional Banger
Push&Pool has a reputation beyond reputePush&Pool has a reputation beyond reputePush&Pool has a reputation beyond reputePush&Pool has a reputation beyond reputePush&Pool has a reputation beyond reputePush&Pool has a reputation beyond reputePush&Pool has a reputation beyond reputePush&Pool has a reputation beyond reputePush&Pool has a reputation beyond reputePush&Pool has a reputation beyond reputePush&Pool has a reputation beyond repute

06-11-2019, 06:34 PM

When I need to make a shot across the table length but have the CB roll forward only a little after impact, assuming it's a straight shot, I'll just smack the CB hard. The reason I don't want it to roll forward some more is usually to prevent a scratch on perfectly straight shots. When hit at high speed, the CB usually stops in place or, if not, retains some speed but gets deflected at a small angle, thus missing the pocket. Hitting it below center with little speed would work too, but it often messes with my aim over such long distances. I rather not bother with where I hit the CB but how hard I hit it. Going center ball using cannon power usually gives me the appropriate result.

I support and respect any form of pool. But bar pool is my life

Old
  (#12)
longhorns2
AzB Silver Member
longhorns2 has a reputation beyond reputelonghorns2 has a reputation beyond reputelonghorns2 has a reputation beyond reputelonghorns2 has a reputation beyond reputelonghorns2 has a reputation beyond reputelonghorns2 has a reputation beyond reputelonghorns2 has a reputation beyond reputelonghorns2 has a reputation beyond reputelonghorns2 has a reputation beyond reputelonghorns2 has a reputation beyond reputelonghorns2 has a reputation beyond repute

06-11-2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb View Post
find your stop shot position for your tip on the cue ball based on the speed you plan to hit it
Just tried this for a little bit and it worked very well. Feel like you have to trust it a little because it feels like you're gonna get force follow from it. Seems to work when you can see the full cb because when you're jacked up at all it gets trickier to get the exact spot

Old
  (#13)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

06-11-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb View Post
Another way, if you can visualize it successfully, is to imagine hitting a stop shot on a "ghost" OB that's a little closer than the actual one, more or less closer depending on how much rollthrough you want.

pj
chgo

Old
  (#14)
JessEm
AzB Silver Member
JessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond repute

06-11-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisinNC View Post
I'd guess the drag draw method is the pro's choice. Because you're striking the cue ball below center, the cue ball is kind of gliding across the cloth as opposed to rolling, so it is far less susceptible to rolling off. The cue ball stops gliding and starts rolling just before it reaches the object ball, resulting in the cue ball rolling just slightly forward after contact with the object ball. Of course this shot takes much practice to execute with consistency from different distances (cue ball to object ball) and different distances (in inches) you want the cue ball to roll beyond the object ball.
Good explanation.

Tad Lofstrom custom
Samsara Jump/Break
vintage Brunswick by Schmelke

Old
  (#15)
JessEm
AzB Silver Member
JessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond repute

06-11-2019, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Just tried this for a little bit and it worked very well. Feel like you have to trust it a little because it feels like you're gonna get force follow from it. Seems to work when you can see the full cb because when you're jacked up at all it gets trickier to get the exact spot
Yes less angle on the OB makes it easier to hold the Q ball.

Jacked up is time for Plan B. Maybe play shape for a different shot or slow roll it.

Tad Lofstrom custom
Samsara Jump/Break
vintage Brunswick by Schmelke

Page 1 of 5 1 23 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: