When using a Spring loaded case do you still need to use JP'S

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Need Help - New case Spring Loaded , Joint Protectors won't fit

Hello ,

I just bought this new case , https://www.pooldawg.com/brand/outlaw/pool-cue-cases/outlaw-2-butt-2-shaft-horseshoe-hard-case

I got a sweet deal on it , I am a big fan of Joint Protectors as I have seen butts hit the floor pin 1st and do some damage. So I have used Jp's for years. This case is Spring loaded and it does not seem to have the extra room for the Joint Protectors sticking up. This is my 1st Spring Loaded Case , Do you guys who have them just not use Joint Protectors . I really like the look of the case , but feel un safe not using the Joint Protectors. The Butt goes in Pin 1st and shaft tip 1st. What is the general consensus. Or am I the only one who has ran into this. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum section. Thanks for any help or suggestions .

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Surly someone has ran into this before
Not me. I have a butterfly case so I don't have to worry about such things.

Seems like your case designer should have made it longer -- bad engineering strikes again. Having springs in there doesn't remove the utility of joint protectors. If you needed them before, you still need them.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Originally Posted by PoolFan101
Surly someone has ran into this before

No, not really.

If your shaft and butt are equal length, JPs should not add more than 1/4"-1/2" to the overall length.

You have a poorly designed case and/or poorly designed JPs.

Last edited:

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
51 years of playing and I have never damaged a joint or seen one damaged by accident.

Never used a joint protector.

I often wonder what type of setting some players frequent. My cue lays on my table at home. About 3 times a week I put it in a case and take it to a pool hall, legion or wherever. I arrive and take it out of the case and screw it together. When finished I unscrew it and return it to the case.

Cue never used as a garden stake, weapon, chopstick, car jack, crowbar or anything other than a billiards cue.

My 13 year old cue is as good as when new.

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cut the joint protectors off. They only need to be 1/2 inch long to protect the joint so shorten them as needed. The pin is steel and it would take a lot to damage it especially if most of it is covered. Just measure how much needs to be cut off to fit in the case.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Cut the joint protectors off. They only need to be 1/2 inch long to protect the joint so shorten them as needed. The pin is steel and it would take a lot to damage it especially if most of it is covered. Just measure how much needs to be cut off to fit in the case.

It seems to me that the shorter the joint protector the better it is for the joint. A longer protector gives more leverage for whatever force is acting on the joint.

I had a cue in a soft case and made the mistake of not watching when going down some stairs. The pin was bent but it bent back and I didn't have any trouble with it later. I vaguely recall that was a Rich cue. 1967. I don't run with scissors anymore either.

In a hard case I think the protectors are only useful to keep crud off the threads but not very useful.

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seems to me that the shorter the joint protector the better it is for the joint. A longer protector gives more leverage for whatever force is acting on the joint.

I had a cue in a soft case and made the mistake of not watching when going down some stairs. The pin was bent but it bent back and I didn't have any trouble with it later. I vaguely recall that was a Rich cue. 1967. I don't run with scissors anymore either.

In a hard case I think the protectors are only useful to keep crud off the threads but not very useful.

Please, no details on the scissors...

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have owned a lot of cues over the last 30 years, and a lot of cases. Some joint protectors are truly stunning, but I have never used any, never had a single thing ever happen to my pin or joints, maybe its just me, but I feel joint protectors are more for aesthetics than protection.

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
“I got a sweet deal on it”.

Now you know why you got a “sweet deal” on it.
I also never use a case where the joint pin is placed downward in a case,
maybe not the best design.

Will Prout

NINEBALLART

NINEBALLART
Silver Member
It says in the description it hold's up to 31" shafts.....If you have a 29" shaft it should fit with joint protectors???