Kamui Black Tips

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
I just tried my first Kamui Black tip and I have a question. Are these tips made from leather or are they some kind of composite material? I've been playing with Moori slow tips and Sniper tips for the last couple of years and it's going to take some getting used to in order for me to feel comfortable with the Kamui tip.

James

Josh Palmer

I'll take the 6 :)
Silver Member
I don't know what they are.. I got one by mistake.. thought I was getting a regular Med. Kamui... ended up with the black... it looks like a Top Hat right now, and I need to take it down a little..

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
I don't know what they are.. I got one by mistake.. thought I was getting a regular Med. Kamui... ended up with the black... it looks like a Top Hat right now, and I need to take it down a little..

I have a cue lathe and I installed my own tip and it cut like it was something other than leather. I could be wrong, but it didn't act like leather when I was trimming it. It could just be a very firm leather that's been dyed black, but i'm not sure. I was hoping that someone on the forum would know and could tell everyone what they are made from.

James

pooljunkie75

Bruce Johnson
Silver Member
I have a cue lathe and I installed my own tip and it cut like it was something other than leather. I could be wrong, but it didn't act like leather when I was trimming it. It could just be a very firm leather that's been dyed black, but i'm not sure. I was hoping that someone on the forum would know and could tell everyone what they are made from.

James

Straight from Kamui:

"Kamui Black Tips are specially selected 10 layered pig skin.The leather is tanned by a special moisture proof tannin. Giving the Kamui Black the black color and making it "humidity resistant". Kamui Japan found the way to apply this process without interfering with the porosity, adding more elasticity to the KB tip and protecting the tip from the environment."

They are hemispherical sealed. They will play the same no matter what the humidity level is. I have installed a ton of tips, and the Kamui Black Soft is by far my favorite!! They shape easily because of the way they are possessed. I have played with mine now for three months and have hardly shaped it at all... and it plays like it did when new.

-Bruce

Rickey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've played with and installed just about every tip out there.And i'm one of those people that if my ferrule is dirty,chalky,or whatever the case may be it drives me absolutely nuts.If my tip is not pefectly burnished in and tight all the way around or doesn't hold the perfect radius,it will cause problems with my game.I bought a kamui black hard about a year ago,i guess.At first it seemed a little hard for my taste and feel,but I got accustomed to it.If you like a Moori hard,get a kamui black medium.It's hard to bite the bullet and pay $20 for one but it is worth it.When I first put mine on I decided to leave it full height just to see if the sides were gonna need burnishing again after a few games.After a session of about 75 games or so,it did not budge.I recently ordered a kamui black medium to put on another shaft to see how it plays compared to the hard.My $.02...

tingen

Registered
I've played with and installed just about every tip out there.And i'm one of those people that if my ferrule is dirty,chalky,or whatever the case may be it drives me absolutely nuts.If my tip is not pefectly burnished in and tight all the way around or doesn't hold the perfect radius,it will cause problems with my game.I bought a kamui black hard about a year ago,i guess.At first it seemed a little hard for my taste and feel,but I got accustomed to it.If you like a Moori hard,get a kamui black medium.It's hard to bite the bullet and pay $20 for one but it is worth it.When I first put mine on I decided to leave it full height just to see if the sides were gonna need burnishing again after a few games.After a session of about 75 games or so,it did not budge.I recently ordered a kamui black medium to put on another shaft to see how it plays compared to the hard.My $.02...

What ya mean, get kamui black hard if ya like moori medium?
For me(some other agress too) the Moori medium feels as hard as kamui black hard.
Currently playing with Moori medium(was factory intalled on my new cue) and will so change do kamui black medium due the fact the tip feels very hard.

WoodyJ

Sacred Cow=Best Hamburger
Gold Member
Silver Member
What ya mean, get kamui black hard if ya like moori medium?

I think he means just the opposite: Kamui black med. = Moori hard.

I used to play with a Moori med. and had a Kamui black med. put on. It's much harder than the Moori was.

Last edited:

DJKeys

Sound Design
Silver Member
Kamui Black

I used Moori Hard and have gone to Kamui II Hard then to Kamui Black Hard. I have been using the same tip for 8 months and it has not lost its shape (it has compressed down a little) never needs any type of maintenance, and is the best tip I have ever played with. I play very close to center ball and can get all of the action I need for any type of position. I am not sure what the tips are impregnated with, but they play and look great.

metallicane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I find the Kamui's much harder than the Moori's as well. I have the soft black Kamui and it holds it shape great.

atthecat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep, I use the Super Soft and it feels like a medium to me. Absolutely love it though.

8power8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a black ss put on and for some reason just did nt like it, i hear people say it hits like a sponge... well i would have liked that, i find i get more feedback from a sniper. not sure if the tip i had just was nt one of the best or... anybody else find the super soft was nt so soft?

Ponytail

...it's about consistency
Silver Member
So what are people charging to put these bad boys on these days? 60? 70? 75?

If they're around 20 bucks for the tip alone.

Just curious.

cbi1000

It is what it is...
Silver Member
I tried the blacks, didn't like them. Went back to the Kamui II browns, love them!

Majic

With The Lights ON !!
Silver Member
I recently put a Kamui H Black on one of my shafts to see how it would compare to the Talisman WB I usually play with. The K Black seems to have a firmer hit and feels a lot like a Morri. It held chalk very well then the chalk adhesion became an issue. Not a serious issue, but noticeably different after the first week. I shaped the tip, and it was fine again for a day or too. Could it be the chalk itself? If it is, then the Black would not be worth the xtra money over the regular if they hit the same.

Dakota Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
James,

They are made of pigskin, and I have heard that they machine a little weird. Where a normal leather tip tends to "Curl" as you cut it (I mean the leather you trim off the tip curls), a K Black tip tends to almost turn to dust. This is just what I've heard, but I've heard it from a few sources.

The tip does have a different feel to it for sure. I don't know if it's because I like firmer tips or what, but the Kamui Black Medium is THE TIP for me. Nothing plays better in my book.

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
I've been playing with a Moori II Slow tip for a long time and i've tried a Sniper tip also and a couple of my friends were really big on Kamui Black medium tips. I decided to give them a try and it's going to take some time for me to get used to the way they play compared to the Moori and the Sniper. One of my friends said he had trouble getting used to the KB tip at first and he was about ready to cut his Kamui tip off and go back to what he was used to, but he decided to give it a little more time and now he loves the way they play.

Thanks for all of the information and opinions on the Kamui Black tips.

James

berlowmj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just had the original tip on my Universal Smart Shaft replaced witha Kamui Black medium & I am quite satisfied. Professional installation only cost $6.