Need your help to identify my Schon Unique!

al-capool

Imagine all the people...
Silver Member
Who know's the Id.-Number of my cue (like U144 as example) and his retail-price?

I allready e-mailed 6-times this request (pics incl.) to Evan and Staff of Schon Cues! Since January 17, I'm still waiting for any answer...!?
Purchased originally 2012 from Omega Cues, but it had originally a brown leather wrap! Michael Woang from Omega Cues stil knew the retail price, which was around 3'700$
But he doesn't remember anymore the U-Number (Like U144 as example)

It is a Cocobolo Cue cue with 28 Ivory points & spears. Below them are many recon. turquoises inlayed in diff. Ivory forms and it had a BROWN (not a black) leather wrap!
The Elite 59 has the same CNC-Pattern just made of different materials! My Schon Unique is made of these other materials mentioned above!

If you know the U-Number of my Schön, but you can't post or reply, so please answer direct to:
www.robertowalter29@gmail.com

Attachments

• neue Schön Fotos 001.jpg
    neue Schön Fotos 001.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 728
  • neue Schön Fotos 003.jpg
    neue Schön Fotos 003.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 604
  • neue Schön Fotos 004.jpg
    neue Schön Fotos 004.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 604
Last edited:

JoshStodola

My stroke is garbage
Silver Member
I know this cue

This was made for Terry Romine, the founder of Schon cues.
It's a copy of the E59. And yet they put the word "Unique" on it.

Hard to say a retail price since it was made for Terry I am
sure he didn't pay anything. I believe the E59 retailed for
$2,300. These cues just don't hold their value like real
custom cues.

Last edited:

al-capool

Silver Member
Thank you Josh

custom cues.

Thank you Josh for these very interresting informations!
I will try to find out from Evan or Terry some more infos!?

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

custom cues.

That is actually really close, but not exactly the same cue. There are differences in the geometric shapes in the inlays, although the points appear to be very much alike. It's hard to tell with the pictures by the OP being so small.

Here is a pic of an E59.
e59-1.jpg
e59_2.jpg

Last edited:

JoshStodola

My stroke is garbage
Silver Member
That is actually really close, but not exactly the same cue. There are differences in the geometric shapes in the inlays, although the points appear to be very much alike. It's hard to tell with the pictures by the OP being so small.

Well this will make it easier for you to see that they are identical.
It is the same CNC pattern, they just used different materials.
And those are pics of my E59 you have! See my avatar ;)
attachment.php

attachment.php

Michael-Hoang

Omega Billiards
Silver Member
I believe I was the original owner and picked this cue up Brand New from Evan several years back, as part of a large purchase of Schon cues. IIRC, I bought this cue months in advance before it was even completed.

It has a MSRP of $3700. Everything white is Ivory, except the butt cap, with a brown leather wrap. I don't remember the exact model number, but it is One of A Kind.

I sold it to Tom in 2011 or 2012. Chances are you got this cue from Jim Murphy, who sells cues for Tom occasionally.

The E59 just came out a couple of years ago, which does look similar to your cue. But if it means anything, your cue was made first. :smile:

Evan has made only a few "Unique" cues as it takes lots of time to design.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So the unique may not be unique, but both could be elite?

Ken <- finds the entire, elite, unique kinda like the Meucci Original....that isnt original.

Confused, as usual.

Ken

jmurphy

SWEET
Silver Member
So the unique may not be unique, but both could be elite?

Ken <- finds the entire, elite, unique kinda like the Meucci Original....that isnt original.

Confused, as usual.

Ken

Ken,
This Schon Unigue is a 1 of 1 that is what Schon Unique cues are. That does not mean that Schon does not have other cues of the same CNC pattern. If this Schon cue is the ONLY one made with this combination of materials then it is by definition a 1 of 1 cue "Schon Unigue"

Michael-Hoang

Omega Billiards
Silver Member
Schon "Unique" cues have always been truly "unique" in their looks/designs and are one of a kind.

This is the only time that I know of where another model has a "look/design" similar to a "Unique".

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Schon "Unique" cues have always been truly "unique" in their looks/designs and are one of a kind.

This is the only time that I know of where another model has a "look/design" similar to a "Unique".

Several uniques shown on this site over the years have been variations of other cues, typically Elites. Though, the occasional LTD makes the cut. Uniques get different woods and tons more ivory, but almost always the same CNC program.

JoshStodola

My stroke is garbage
Silver Member

So if they make a new cue just like this one, replacing the
turquoise with malachite, do you think that is "truly unique"?
No. It's not unique, just like remaking the RoboCop movie is
not unique. It's template recycling, and it's an easy way for
a production cue company to make highly profitable cues
without having to come up with new designs.

al-capool

Silver Member
Still need your help to identify my schön unique

Here you got some bigger and sharper pics of my cue!

Attachments

• neue Schön Fotos 001.jpg
    neue Schön Fotos 001.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 831
  • neue Schön Fotos 004.jpg
    neue Schön Fotos 004.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 661
  • neue Schön Fotos 003.jpg
    neue Schön Fotos 003.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 647

Michael-Hoang

Omega Billiards
Silver Member
Several uniques shown on this site over the years have been variations of other cues, typically Elites. Though, the occasional LTD makes the cut. Uniques get different woods and tons more ivory, but almost always the same CNC program.

Perhaps you mean to say other Elites/LTD's have been variations of Uniques. That I cannot comment on. But to say "Uniques have been variations of other Elites" based on what you've seen here, I would have to disagree.

From all the Schon cues that I have seen and owned -and I have seen/owned a few- the Uniques have always been "unique" in their designs when they first came out. That has always been my experience.

Michael-Hoang

Omega Billiards
Silver Member

You missed my point.

What I was trying to say is that the OP's cue was the first that came out with that look/design. It was unique when it came out. The Elite that you have -which obviously looked similar- came out years later. Most, if not all, Schon Uniques have always been truly unique in design when they first came out. That's from my limited experience.

Michael-Hoang

Omega Billiards
Silver Member

As for the implied knock on production cue company, I will continue to stay away from that debate. But let me ask you this question, do you consider Ernie Gutierrez, Tad, or Eric Crisp, a custom cue maker or a production cue company?

Another point I'd like to touch that you greatly mention in the last part regarding "having to come up with new designs": There is not a single artist (cuemakers) that can constantly come up with new designs on their cues. They would have to charge an arm and a leg to survive because of the time involved.

rigmaster

my puppy is on the left!
Silver Member
And I thought Bob Runde and Evan Clark started Schon in 1981 just the 2 of them! I have 2 S Series cues from that period. S6 and S9
Bob still makes nice cues low production and Evan has CNC high production cues.

al-capool

Silver Member
In memory of Terry Romine

And I thought Bob Runde and Evan Clark started Schon in 1981 just the 2 of them! I have 2 S Series cues from that period. S6 and S9
Bob still makes nice cues low production and Evan has CNC high production cues.

As I know, it was Terry Romine with Bob Runde who foundet Schön Custom Cues 1981. Bob started making Schön Cues in a room of Terry's Poolhall.

In memory of Terry Romine Sr. who left us last year!

P.S. Please excuse my bad and Swiss influenced English.

al-capool

Silver Member

custom cues.

Dear Josh,
I really have to excuse me that I had so many doubts, about the things you said concerning my cue!

But to me it wasn't also easy at all to know, to who I should believe to. When I had 18 replies in this thread about the Identity of my cue!
Actually you were the only one who was absolutely right! Even about 3 things, concerning my cue:

1. It really was made for Terry Romines himself!
2. Because of that my Schön Unique has no Number at all! (Like U144 as example) like some other Uniques!
3. Sadly I also must admit it has exactly the same pattern, as the Elite 59. Just made of other materials!
I'm even not sure anymore that the Unique came first. Because it has been made in 2011 and I don't now in which year the Elite 59 came out. So I don't know which one has been made earlier! Tell me please if you know in which year the Elite 59 came out!
KR, Roberto

Just yesterday, I finally have got (after 2 months of waiting) an answer from John Fuhrman of sales@schoncues.com concerning the Identity of my Schön Unique.

ORIGINAL TEXT:
That cue was not given a number. It was made for the owner Terry Romines in 2011. At some before he passed it was sold off.

JoshStodola

My stroke is garbage
Silver Member
It's a nice cue

Glad you got the info you were looking for.
Enjoy the cue, it's nice! I bought my E59 in
late 2011 so who knows which came first.