APA 9 ball 75-0

actionplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK first and foremost not an APA banger play the masters only but has anyone ever got or seen a 75-0 in 9 ball?

to explain APA handicapped in 9 ball ratings go from 1-9
1=14 balls
2=19 balls
3=25 balls
etc
9= 75 balls

other night I got my second 75-5 score which I think is pretty good
yes my opponent was weak but what makes this stand out a 75-0 for me is the no push out rule

so literally you need a good shot on the 1 or at least be able to see it to avoid having to kick and scratch leaving your opponent ball in hand to get the elusive 1 ball

our opponents never agree to playing us with magic rack therefore makes it even more difficult

anyone seen it done or did it themselves?

youtube of svb playing klatt in this format where he gets very close to it

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
I think it's possible, but like you say, a lot of luck is involved. I've been up 40-0 and 50-0 a few times, but somewhere along the way a ball hangs up or a break goes wrong and there goes the shutout. One of my teammates had a match where everything went haywire and he couldn't even make a ball-in-hand shot, and lost 65-0 to an SL8.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i had a team mate ...just raised from a 7 to an 8 get up 60-1 vs a 6 before the 6 threw his cue down on the table and quit .

i was raised to a 6 a couple of months ago but when i was a 5 i had a few lopsided wins.

38-2 vs a s/l 3

38-3 vs a s/l 4

38 7 vs a s/l 5

during my one and only trip to vegas i had 2 lopsided matches

38-4 vs a s/l 5
38-9 vs a s/l 5

no lop sided matches since i have been raised to a 6. heck i am happy to just get a win. :D lost a few i would have won had i still been a 5.

actionplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it's possible, but like you say, a lot of luck is involved. I've been up 40-0 and 50-0 a few times, but somewhere along the way a ball hangs up or a break goes wrong and there goes the shutout. One of my teammates had a match where everything went haywire and he couldn't even make a ball-in-hand shot, and lost 65-0 to an SL8.

oh its definitely possible one of my wins when I ran 75-5 was due to a scratch on the break where I got kicked in then he ran 4 missed hooked me got ball in hand and made one then missed

im sure it has been done
I want to do it but this is my last session before I transition to BCA

going up a skill level is tough getting those few more balls is tough

like your story I heard was a guy called mark kimbro I think beat someone 75-3 and the person quit the league and pool that night haha

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I almost did it once as an 8, but it was due to fortunate racking shenanigans.

We were playing on an old Dynamo bucket box, with a badly worn rack spot. The balls would not freeze and I told my opponent that I needed the first three balls touching.

They racked half a ball up on the spot and I was dropping 2-3 balls per break, the 1 every time.

I ended up missing the skunk in my last rack due to kicking at the locked up 2 and jawing it. They got 3 balls.

I was sad.

I agree that it is REALLY hard. No jump cues were allowed either.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Congratulations on the wins. To me, APA 9-ball scoring is more like straight pool, than what we commonly refer to as 9-ball (Texas Express). You don't win games, you win by pocketing balls. So, if you ran 1-8, and blew ball in hand on the 9-ball. You would get 8 points, and your opponent would get 2 points (game winning ball) and the break.

The scoring scenario you imagined is already accounted for in the team scoring. For any individual match, the most you can score is 20 points, any team that scores 51 points or more wins the night. So, keep up the good work. As a SL 9, they can't raise you any higher.

Last edited:

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was down vs a 2 who needed 1 ball and i needed 26. Don't ask why I got so far behind...i got my 26 before she got her 1.

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did a 75-1. I played a safe on the two ball in the last rack and he kicked it in and that's all he got. Won the nine ball nationals with only a couple of guys getting into double digits. On guy got to 27. The secret is in APA is to make a ball on the break and be able to see the next ball in order.

Tony Longoni

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had two 75 point runs during my apa playing days. One was off the lag so 75-0, the other was on my first turn at the table but my opponent already had 36 balls. I believe i seen 1 other 75-0 score too but i cant say for sure.

accustatsfan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK first and foremost not an APA banger play the masters only but has anyone ever got or seen a 75-0 in 9 ball?

Congratulations on your fine play that is a fine match.

I've heard for years that the difference between a good player/team and a great player/team in any sport was a great player or team will win a lot against most competition, but against weaker players/teams they will destroy them.

actionplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Congratulations on your fine play that is a fine match.

I've heard for years that the difference between a good player/team and a great player/team in any sport was a great player or team will win a lot against most competition, but against weaker players/teams they will destroy them.

Yea that could be true
I know usually get at least 17 points against my opposition granted my division not very strong

Will find out more at masters in Vegas in August

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a 75-2 in the spring session. But I got lucky. Missed five times, but two were not having the object ball quite reach the pocket. Others were me trying to make something happen. But each time I missed, I left my opponent jacked up and stretching. Did I mention I was playing a 2? They swerved the cue ball each time. I got lucky.

This session best I've done is a 75-9 against a 6. This was also the week after I had a 4 put a two pack on me and I lost 31-40.

TWOFORPOOL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
APA 9 Ball 75-0

Best I did was 75-3 against an APA 5. The only way to do this is to make a ball on the break and be able to see the lowest number ball on the table everytime.

CElliottH18

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think a guy named Gabe Apollos has done it a couple times. He plays out of JOB's right outside of Nashville. APA national champ two times.

BogeyFree

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched him play a match in the Mini's against another 9 back in May at the APA Singles Nationals I was competing in. He's a beast. You wonder how some of these guys ever lose.

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
I've never seen 75-0 but for sure it's been done many times over. The bottom 32 on the 9 board at nationals is stuffed with players who are capable of just such a score. Gabe Apollos is definitely one of those players, and he's one of the nicest guys you will ever play too.

Best I ever did was 75-4 against another 9 here in Miami. As others have said, if your not making a ball and getting a look at the next shot, forget about it. In fact, if you are unable to do just that, you might lose. I played a match in minis in Vegas against another nine where I made a ball on the break every time, didn't miss a ball I attempted to pocket, hit every ball I kicked at and still lost.

Despite bar table 9ball being such a runout game, I still feel at apa nationals that 9b is a more equitable game where even when you lose, you have had good opportunities at the table. The 8 ball event, race to 5 reminds me of flipping coins to determine winners. I saw soooooo many 4 packs and out in Vegas that it really just didn't seem like the loser got a good opportunity. Play all year, win regionals, travel to Vegas and then break dry and your opponent runs the set out. Brutal.

BogeyFree

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a 7 in 8 ball and an 8 in 9 ball and shoot ok for the most part but I can't begin to compete with some of the 7's and 9's at the APA events in the Mini's no matter what kind of spot I would get.

BogeyFree

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last August at the APA team event I played a 9 from Japan named "Jungi". He was a cute and giggly little chubby guy who laughed and even bowed to me as we shook hands. I figured I'm getting 10 balls so let me dust off this guy real quick and then grab a fast beer before my next match. Lol...NOT. In his best broken English he asked me if I wanted to rack our own I said yea sure. He won the lag and all of a sudden the giggling stopped and I didn't get out of my seat until the score was 51-0. I had nothing to shoot at and finally lost 75-9. Well there went a fast $20. I said to myself how does this guy ever lose so I watched him in his next round against some Mexican dude from Florida who beat him. I just shook my head and walked away. I'm a decent 8 but I just can't compete at that level no matter how many balls I would get spotted.

Rjmoncrief

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think a guy named Gabe Apollos has done it a couple times. He plays out of JOB's right outside of Nashville. APA national champ two times.

Gabe put a 75-2 in the finals couple of years ago. In our regional finals last October he put a 75-0 in the finals. Ran 45 balls, got a little out of line, dead hooked his opponent, got BIH , and ran out rest of the set. He can be a world beater on the bar box at times.