Im really thinkin about opening a Pool Hall...

Speakeasy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Number one, I have no experience in this. I do have a management degree. I live in an area where there are no pool halls in the immediate area. The closest one is about an hour and a half away. Im thinking about a bar at first then decided an all ages place would be better. I would have 2 7fts, 4 8 fts and 2 9 fts. Possibly sell beer, sodas...stuff like that. I also would liek to sell pool cues and accessories. But Im really not sure if this area has enough support for the game of Pool. There used to be 5-6 places....now there is none. I just wanted to see how it was when you first started opening. When did you first see a profit? How much did you need to start up? Im really wanting to do this, but Im afraid of failure and ending up losing everything.

TannerPruess

PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
If there were 5 halls and now there are none I would ask why the initial 5 went out of business.:cool:

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Number one, I have no experience in this. I do have a management degree. I live in an area where there are no pool halls in the immediate area. The closest one is about an hour and a half away. Im thinking about a bar at first then decided an all ages place would be better. I would have 2 7fts, 4 8 fts and 2 9 fts. Possibly sell beer, sodas...stuff like that. I also would liek to sell pool cues and accessories. But Im really not sure if this area has enough support for the game of Pool. There used to be 5-6 places....now there is none. I just wanted to see how it was when you first started opening. When did you first see a profit? How much did you need to start up? Im really wanting to do this, but Im afraid of failure and ending up losing everything.

In most cases it takes about five years to recoupe your investment so that you show profit. However, if you are afraid of failure and losing everything a pool Hall is not right for you, find something else to do with your money.

JIMO

Speakeasy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If there were 5 halls and now there are none I would ask why the initial 5 went out of business.:cool:

Thats true. I know 2 of them the owners died or were sick and thier kids didnt want to mess with it. Another one had all 9 ft tables that were custom made. A lot of people dont want 9 fts. The other ones I have no idea.

Speakeasy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In most cases it takes about five years to recoupe your investment so that you show profit. However, if you are afraid of failure and losing everything a pool Hall is not right for you, find something else to do with your money.

JIMO

Thats true. Im just at a point where I would like to do something different than what Im doing. It was just a thought Ive been working with.

highrun55

can`t make a ball anymore
Silver Member
Think it out first look around

As a room owner and in business for 18 yrs all i can say is look around any rooms near you and see how things are, Im just getting by and this could be my last summer, its terrible here. in southeastern pa.
if you can or will let them smoke you have an edge already.

highrun55

Speakeasy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As a room owner and in business for 18 yrs all i can say is look around any rooms near you and see how things are, Im just getting by and this could be my last summer, its terrible here. in southeastern pa.
if you can or will let them smoke you have an edge already.

highrun55

Smoking is out. The recently passed a law that you cant smoke in public places. They just have to outside to smoke.

cueandcushion

Cue & Cushion_STL_MO
Silver Member
Smoking rooms are pool's past. Regardless of whether you agree with non-smoking laws, they will be EVERYWHERE soon enough. In St. Louis, rooms and bars that have a temporary exemption to allow smoking are struggling. Why? Because they are SO smoky now that new customers won't enter and many non-smokers that tolerated it before are looking for cleaner surroundings. I keep hearing from league players that come in my place, they are leaving other smoking rooms because of the sticky film that is getting worse with the heavier smoke.

Build a room that represents pools future. It will be more of an "entertainment complex" than a "billiard parlor" but you have a greater chance of survival.

TurdFerguson

Registered
I have owned and run two small pool rooms, both without liquor, in communities of approximately 8500 people.The first I will describe, the second was much more of a studio, and was tailored to suit me, not the customer.

My rent on about 1400 sq ft was $1500, and I paid utilities.($350)

I used 5 oversize 8 ft tables, and charged $6.50/hr. I operated from 11 am until 11 pm.

My sales counter included pop, chips, coffee, candy bars, pizza pops, burritos, etc...

I was in the Pacific Northwest, so I opened on purpose in a July, knowing summer is slow for pool, but wanting to ease in a bit.

I barely survived until October, but Oct I did $6000 in pool.(about 900 table hours) Then I averaged $8500 in pool every month from Oct-Apr each year. May-Sept I would average $4000 in pool.

During the good months, obviously my concession sales were better as well. I grossed about $2500 each good month.

I worked it myself, for 48 hrs per week, and had part time for the rest, which was usually about 40 hours per week, and I paid $10 per hour, so about $1800 month for staff besides me.

Long and short, for 7 months of the year, I grossed about $11000 per, and netted $7000...during the other 5 months, I cleaned, planned, and broke even basically.

Keep in mind this is in a town of 8500 people. I ran into through 4 winters, and sold out before the next summer. The new owner lasted only6 months.

I know business, I know pool, and I know the pool business.

The key questions I have are:

How big is the community?
What is your basic layout plan?
( decided somewhat by space you rent or buy, but...)

If you are serious, I would be happy to give you some key thoughts and tips. Let me know.

doublej487

valleys are 2 tight
Silver Member
i know of a few good places in huntington wv that would b great... but any1 that wants to plar.y around here wants 9fts or 7fts..... u could get acs or bca leagues to come in ..... the pool bussiness has went down the hole round here..... as long as u dont screw people over and treat ur regulars right u should do fine......