Any D series McDermott fans out there?

JAlan

Gerbil Jeff
Silver Member
Evening all,

The D series will always hold a special place for me, as a D-2 was the first good cue I remember having back when I was in college. Later I bought a D-15 new off the rack which I've always regretted selling.

I always wanted a D-19, well I finally got one in trade a few days ago. Here are some pics with it next to a D-6 that used to belong to Brian Atchley that I got years ago.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• IMG_1226.jpg
    IMG_1226.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 2,419
  • IMG_1227.jpg
    IMG_1227.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 2,454
  • IMG_1211.jpg
    IMG_1211.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 2,263
  • IMG_1212.jpg
    IMG_1212.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 2,236
  • IMG_1216.jpg
    IMG_1216.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 2,313

crawf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am right there with you. My first nice cue was a D-7, still have it. I also own a D-2, a D-5 and a D-17. The D-17 is my favorite of the D series. I feel the D series is a great hitting production cue. Enjoy your D-19!

John

bflgvs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You only think you collect McDermott D series

Here you go!! I snipped this from a post by Jerry Price ('JerrysCues') some time ago. If you're interested you may try to contact Jerry about any extras of his D series. I heard a rumor that he's thinking about selling off some his collection.

This is a complete set of D series pool cues 16 of them are brand new the rest have been refinished by Mcdemott

Image005[1].jpg

Last edited:

Drawman623

Box Cue lover
Silver Member
I'm selling a D24 and D25. Love the playability of these old McDermotts. D-16 will always be a favorite.

JoshStodola

My stroke is garbage
Silver Member
I really love my D-15, which was in mint condition until I accidentally put a ding in the shaft last night during leagues. Oh well, I am proud to say that a cue older than myself is still being used regularly, and still running racks. I love the D-series with sharp mitered points, they don't make them like this any more.

DrOnePocket

Banned
I regret selling my D17. It was pristine and played good too. The white with green spec wrap matched the box inlays perfectly. The custom ordered D1 I had played even better. It's still around here

lagrjajo

Registered
I have a D16 that was stored for over 20 years. I recently got it rewrapped.

Attachments

• McDermott%20Cue%20001.jpg
    McDermott%20Cue%20001.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 2,169
  • McDermott%20Cue%shaft20005.jpg
    McDermott%20Cue%shaft20005.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 2,346

MCP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mcd. D14

Here is a D14 restored Mcdermott in 2011

Attachments

• Mcd. D14 Butt.JPG
    Mcd. D14 Butt.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 2,102
  • Mcd. D14 joint.JPG
    Mcd. D14 joint.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 2,062
  • Mcd. D14.JPG
    Mcd. D14.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 2,046

JAlan

Gerbil Jeff
Silver Member
Nice cues guys! I've really been enjoying playing with the D-19 this week, I'd forgotten how well these old D cues play.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
My first good cue was a D-1 smokey grey stain with an irish linen wrap. I loved that cue. Loved it.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My first good cue was a D-1 smokey grey stain with an irish linen wrap. I loved that cue. Loved it.

Cool.

I still have my D-2 from the eighties. I still love the cue.

Your D-1 had linen? They were only "officially" available with nylon. Was it special ordered or changed?

JAlan

Gerbil Jeff
Silver Member
Cool.

I still have my D-2 from the eighties. I still love the cue.

Your D-1 had linen? They were only "officially" available with nylon. Was it special ordered or changed?

Howdy Chop,

You could special order linen, cork or leather on any of the D series. Occasionally though McD would send them out like that and just have the price marked up accordingly if I remember right. Many of the dealers then too would order some with linen, as most people didn't like the nylon. I myself am not crazy about nylon, it will wear like iron but it makes too much noise for me!! Kind of like a set of rough wound guitar strings :)

PS Chop: I miss my tube case :(

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Howdy Chop,

You could special order linen, cork or leather on any of the D series. Occasionally though McD would send them out like that and just have the price marked up accordingly if I remember right. Many of the dealers then too would order some with linen, as most people didn't like the nylon. I myself am not crazy about nylon, it will wear like iron but it makes too much noise for me!! Kind of like a set of rough wound guitar strings :)

PS Chop: I miss my tube case :(

That's why I asked. "Officially" (as advertised by McDermott) the lower D-Series cues were only available with nylon but occasionally they turn up with other original wraps. I don't remember what level cue the wrap options officially started with, but it was something mid level.

I was wondering how his particular example came to have linen. Just a passing curiosity really.

I don't particularly like the nylon on mine and have often thought of changing it. For a long time I primarily used it for a break cue but occasionally played with it. It does play well.

I have the original brochures and catalogs around here somewhere.....

sourhed87

Registered
That's why I asked. "Officially" (as advertised by McDermott) the lower D-Series cues were only available with nylon but occasionally they turn up with other original wraps. I don't remember what level cue the wrap options officially started with, but it was something mid level.

I was wondering how his particular example came to have linen. Just a passing curiosity really.

I don't particularly like the nylon on mine and have often thought of changing it. For a long time I primarily used it for a break cue but occasionally played with it. It does play well.

I have the original brochures and catalogs around here somewhere.....

Doc,
Here is the quote from their website.

"*Note the Value appreciation is based on upon a 98% condition
The McDermott D Series pool cues featured nylon wraps on the D1-13 and leather, cork or Irish linen on the D14-26. The line used many exotic woods such as Birdseye maple, bubinga, rosewood, Bolivian walnut, ebony and cocobolo. It remains one of the most popular series of pool cues in McDermott history and its collector’s status appreciates every year."

JAlan

Gerbil Jeff
Silver Member
Out of curiosity how much would it cost to restore MD cue?

I think McDermott charges around $165 plus shipping for a refinish and rewrap in Irish Linen. That's a bit high in my opinion but a lot of die hards prefer McD to do the actual work on their cues, and they do a good job.

Scott at Proficient Billiards will refinish with one shaft for...I think it's $85? and then I believe he will charge $40 for an irish linen rewrap. His work is top notch and he has had hundreds if not thousands of satisfied customers.

If you just need a refinish and rewrap, I'd go with Scott. However if you need more work, like new shafts, buttcap replaced, etc., I'd go with McDermott. I'm sure Scott and many others can do that type of work as good or better than McD, but in my opinion having the original maker doing major work helps to preserve the cue for collectors. To me, a refinish is in line with a rewrap....I'd call it normal maintenance.

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A McD refinish done by MdD does tend to be expensive from what I hear, but there is something to be said for using the original maker. If it needs a butt cap/logo I would say that becomes especially true. Also, they charge more for matching the rings if you get a shaft made for a vintage cue. It honestly probably does not cost them anything more, but they do charge more for those shafts.

Scott has a stellar reputation as does Ryan. There are numerous others but they have the biggest reputations I think. All the work I have seen done by them is amazing...and their prices are great.

The cost depends on what you need done regardless of where you send it. A basic refinish is one thing, but if it needs more work than that then the price goes up fast.

IMHO almost any D-Series that is reasonably whole and in reasonable condition is worth having re-done.

lagrjajo

Registered
Appreciate the feedback on the refinshing, actually the D-16 I have is in very good condition, if anything needs to be done would be to get the butt and joint polished or whiten. Thanks again.