For all you gamblers out there...

ktrepal85

Banned
When you decide you want to gamble do you give yourself a limit before you quit? If you do set a limit, what percent of the limit do you usually start betting with? For example, if you would quit after losing $200, would you normally play $50 sets(25% of limit)? Or $20 sets(10% of limit)? or $100 sets(50% of limit)?

I'm just curious what other people's mindsets are...

Banks

Banned
When you decide you want to gamble do you give yourself a limit before you quit? If you do set a limit, what percent of the limit do you usually start betting with? For example, if you would quit after losing $200, would you normally play $50 sets(25% of limit)? Or $20 sets(10% of limit)? or $100 sets(50% of limit)?

If i have a few hundred, am i going all in on a 40% game or an 80% game?

There's more to the question. It would also depend on how long i plan on playing.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd rather play more sets for less money, but I don't play pool to win money or put aside a bunch of cash to play with. To me a "cheap" set is $5-10, to others it's $20-50.

A "normal" set for me is $20 and I'd probably play 2-3 if losing before I quit.

Although you did say for the gamblers out there, which is definitely not me.

Only time really I play for money is during a semi-regular partners game that is usually a $10 bet for a race to 5 or when someone for some reason wants to challenge me to show others that they are better. Which is odd because I never walk around telling people what a great player I am so I have no idea how people get the idea they need to challenge me to show how they play LOL.

2strong4u

Banned
I've always been a window wide open pool gambler. I'm playing 100 to 300 a set typically. I try to get people to commit to 3 sets minimum as its fair for both. I play long sessions no matter where I stand money wise. I believe if you stay busy you make more. I only need to win 60 percent of the time to make good paydays. You got to feed the fishes ( lose some). I spot most players I'm betting with and I got cash so I just try to be the boss. Losing from rolls is tough so I try to play called shot called pocket for bigger money but that doesn't happen even 20% of the time. Hardest part lately is dealing with deadbeat players who have no money. I'll take IOUs but it's stupid of me to pay when I lose. Very few people gamble right. Sometimes I feel like I'm teaching players how to gamble. All said I have a few good customers left but it's getting tougher to find good action.

ktrepal85

Banned
I've always been a window wide open pool gambler. I'm playing 100 to 300 a set typically. I try to get people to commit to 3 sets minimum as its fair for both. I play long sessions no matter where I stand money wise. I believe if you stay busy you make more. I only need to win 60 percent of the time to make good paydays. You got to feed the fishes ( lose some). I spot most players I'm betting with and I got cash so I just try to be the boss. Losing from rolls is tough so I try to play called shot called pocket for bigger money but that doesn't happen even 20% of the time. Hardest part lately is dealing with deadbeat players who have no money. I'll take IOUs but it's stupid of me to pay when I lose. Very few people gamble right. Sometimes I feel like I'm teaching players how to gamble. All said I have a few good customers left but it's getting tougher to find good action.

So let's say you're playing $300 sets and you lose all three. Are you just done for a while or do you just keep playing? Obviously you might try to adjust the spot but at what point do you quit if it's a fair match but you just keep losing the gamble?

2strong4u

Banned
So let's say you're playing $300 sets and you lose all three. Are you just done for a while or do you just keep playing? Obviously you might try to adjust the spot but at what point do you quit if it's a fair match but you just keep losing the gamble?

Good question.

Just like playing blackjack , when I up the bet I always fire 3 barells. If I were to lose 3 sets to someone I never played or I'm just way off I would adjust or quit. Otherwise I'm just pressing the action. I play well tired. I don't drink booze and eat light. I win big all the time by upping the bet and winning the last 3 or 4 sets. Like a championship boxing match it's not how you start, It's how you finish.

I play long sessions because I know I can play 10 to 16 hours and outlast 90 percent of guys even 1/2 my age. I love the grind. Locally we can play until sunrise if there's action.

Last edited:

eddie0776

Bishop Cues
Silver Member
Good question.

Just like playing blackjack , when I up the bet I always fire 3 barells. If I were to lose 3 sets to someone I never played or I'm just way off I would adjust or quit. Otherwise I'm just pressing the action. I play well tired. I don't drink booze and eat light. I win big all the time by upping the bet and winning the last 3 or 4 sets. Like a championship boxing match it's not how you start, It's how you finish.

I play long sessions because I know I can play 10 to 16 hours and outlast 90 percent of guys even 1/2 my age. I love the grind. Locally we can play until sunrise if there's action.

Where do you play at?

Baxter

Out To Win
Silver Member
I try to make sure I have 5 barrels. Whatever that amount is. If I'm willing to lose 100, then I'm looking for 20/set or game. 5 barrels gives me enough leeway to keep playing if I think I can win but lose a set or two to circumstances outside my control, or if I think I can hit a gear and pull ahead.

m79a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always have a number in mind I'm willing to gamble with. I like to at least have 4 or 5 barrels. I like to give myself a fair chance to turn it around if I get off to a bad start. A lot of it depends on the opponent also. If it is someone I gamble with regularly and he is playing out of his mind you have to know when to pull up. But then there are the days you just go on tilt. Those days suck lol. I never gamble with money that is for paying bills. IMHO when you do that you need to evaluate if what you are doing is for fun or do you have a problem?

2strong4u

Banned
Where do you play at?

Central NY but I travel a little. Pool will hibernate for the summer sadly. By September it's time to get it going again.

It's tough to get good action. You gotta hold people accountable, control the room and know what you won't tolerate. Otherwise they eat you alive like a prison *****.

eddie0776

Bishop Cues
Silver Member
Central NY but I travel a little. Pool will hibernate for the summer sadly. By September it's time to get it going again.

It's tough to get good action. You gotta hold people accountable, control the room and know what you won't tolerate. Otherwise they eat you alive like a prison *****.

It is tough when everyone in your area knows how you play and won't play unless it is a lock for them. You are right though it is pools hibernating season. If you travel to Ga let me know and we can hook up.

thintowin

thin2win
Silver Member
it all depends ... if i know the player and their speed the i might play for $100 a game but if the player is an unknown then you adjust, maybe start out $10 - $20 a game untill i can assess their game and mine this particular time and place. as far as how much i would lose of the $200, well that depends too ... a local player that i will be apt to play again then i would lose the entire $200 but if the player is an unkown and one that i probably won't ever play again, then i cut my losses between $50-$100.

there are not set rules except, pay when you lose and collect when you win. if you abide by these two rules then you will most likely get all the action you could ever want.

good luck and happy hunting!

DJ14.1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If you set limits, you're limiting your risk, but also limiting your potential winnings. That said, only play for what you can afford. If you feel yourself starting to hurt, or you're thinking about the money, you're probably playing for too much.

Personally, I don't set any limits. The skill to develop is your judgement in making the right game, and to understand why you're winning or losing. You need to make games where you have an edge, period. Anyone who says otherwise is lying to themselves. But your edge can't be so great that everybody thinks you're robbing them, or you'll never get a game again.

Just my opinion, but if you're convinced you have an edge, play until you're convinced otherwise and ignore the money.

If you're losing, make sure you know the difference between being off your game, and being simply overmatched. Most opponent's best games don't come cheap. We've all paid tuition.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Not at all, never. I asses the game as i play it. If I like the game (and I try to be honest with my self) I am not quitting. Having said that, I would not play with less then 10 barrels. You need to give yourself a chance to win and maybe raise the bet if need be.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
When I was a kid, Russ Maddox gave me some good advice.

By the game....9-ball....bet a tenth of your bankroll
Snooker or one-pocket....bet a sixth

By the set...short...bet a third
Long...bet half

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I liked the game, I always played until I ran out of money or quit, or you did. I preferred to play by the game or long races.

When I say "ran out of money", I don't mean I threw my life savings out on the table and said "go for it". I have played $2 games and $100 games. What we played for and for how much was usually determined by the setting. If I knew the players, I usually knew what the maximum amount someone was willing to lose based upon previous matches (not necessarily with me). If I played someone I didn't know, I was always good for a few hundred just to get a feel of what you had to offer.

I always preferred long sessions because I was capable of running packages fairly consistently along the way and I didn't always start out "hot". The longer I played, the better I usually got, which is the opposite for many people. I've literally played sessions that lasted for more than 24 hours without a break.

The key to winning is to play "your" game and plan. If you start all the "double up" BS every time you lose, it becomes a game of "who has the bigger bankroll" and not a game of pool skill.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
I don't really set limits when I play other than the amount of the set. I'm not going to play many sets for more than 50 a set, unless I've won a tournament that day or something and have some extra money to play on.

I don't mind playing 100 dollar sets, but I tend to gamble with people I'm friendly with. Playing for more takes away some of the enjoyment it seems.

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't gamble seriously anymore. However, when I was in my teens, I was a heavy gambler.

I can honestly say I booked more winners than losers, but my problem was not knowing when to unscrew. So when I lost, I lost everything I had in my pocket (and sometimes more). There were very few folks that did the same in return.

The smartest gamblers I knew would only stick for two or three bets...no matter what. That takes a lot of discipline, as well as being able to swallow your pride / ego.

DJ14.1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I was a kid, Russ Maddox gave me some good advice.

By the game....9-ball....bet a tenth of your bankroll
Snooker or one-pocket....bet a sixth

By the set...short...bet a third
Long...bet half

This is pretty decent statisically. Alot to do with betting amounts relative to your risk-of-ruin. You see language like this for similar questions about gambling in poker books.