Best method to restretch/reuse pool table cloth??Help!!

cyberclonepc

Hello,
I just acquired an old Steepleton 8' oak table. It is 3 piece slate and was professionally disassembled. The felt was practically new at the time it was pulled off, so I am hoping to reuse it. However, most tutorials focus on new installation. The stretching method is sure to pull all previously cut pockets and bolt patterns away from their original position. So I could use some advice to help keep things lined up? Rails are good to go, I am just doing the bed. I am on a tight budget so please don't suggest a professional or new cloth.:frown:
Thanks.

dopop62

Registered
Firstly, I am no expert, but I have moved a few tables where the owner wanted to
reinstall the old felt. Have not had any major problems so far.

Depending on how tight the cloth was originally installed, it may be acceptable to
put it on exactly as it was. If restretching is required, just keep in mind that you
should try to stretch equally (or as close as you can) at the sides and the ends of
the table. This is just to keep the side pocket openings as close, length-wise, as
possible. The corner pocket openings should not be a problem. The rail bolt
holes (originals and new holes) will be hidden by the rails.

I'm assuming there is a spot at the foot end of the table, It will probably have to be
replaced so it will be in the right place. They are usually easily removed. There may
be a litttle color difference in the cloth where the old spot was. Sometimes this can
be remedied, sometimes not.

I hope this has helped some.

2strong4u

Banned
Google Simonis cloth installation to see how to staple and pull the cloth for uniform tightness. It's not difficult. Having an electric stapler is a big help. They are about 40 bucks...keep receipt and return it...

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
For the most part all of the above except that if you knowingly bought a defective stapler best double check your work – patience is the key.

Manoman2444

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Google Simonis cloth installation to see how to staple and pull the cloth for uniform tightness. It's not difficult. Having an electric stapler is a big help. They are about 40 bucks...keep receipt and return it...

So, are you telling him to buy a stapler, use it, keep the receipt and then return it?

nine o nine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You're a cheap no morals SOB.....buy and use something and and then return it. Things are bad enough for honest business people in today's economy. Mitch

cyberclonepc

Hello,
Thanks for the help, I am having a hard time finding the beeswax for the seam. I think I will just have to order it. I have used plumbers putty in the past, is this okay? My only concern is a jumping ball landing directly on the seam. I don't want to risk small pieces breaking loose and working their way to the surface. Luckily I already have an electric stapler.:wink: Though, I don't see the harm in taking one for a test spin,lol. I appreciate everyone's input, I will let you know how it works out.
Take care.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
A rule of thumb, unless your a banger, or if the table is for HS and middle school kids. Don't re-pull cloth and reinstall it, period. Reuse it for shelving or???....but if you want predictable play conditions, install new cloth and pay the man.