Getting ready to maybe break tradition ...

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
I have always had green cloth on my home tables over the years. I've stated the reason green is the only color acceptable is because it is the "Color of Money" ;) I'm getting ready to have new rubber and cloth put on and I'm starting to think BLUE. I'm not sure which way to go and I'm wondering, although I think I know, what the AZB community thinks but tell me. Thanks in advance ... :smile:

FairladyZ

The Boss Stooge
Staff member
Silver Member
Green is fine for a pool hall. A home room, be creative.....you'll get a ribbing from the diehards, but who cares, its not their home or table. Everyone loves my wine colored Simonis860 so much!! :D

RobMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do what makes you happy! And many many tables are covered in tournament blue cloth now. Easy on the eyes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SoCal TAP

Registered
Blue

Blue is the best for contrast of the color spectrum and thus reduces optical fatigue. Ask people their favorite color and a clear majority will say blue. Much of the world is blue (skies, seas). Over the ages blue has become associated with steadfastness, dependability, wisdom and loyalty. People tend to be more productive in a blue room because they are calm and focused on the task at hand. Weight lifters can lift more weight in a blue gym - in fact, nearly all sports are enhanced in blue surroundings.

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I replaced my 860 Spruce with Powder Blue, a few months ago and am very happy with it. Pics are in the Show Me Your Home Room thread.

I decided to go with a lighter shade so there would be high contrast when dark balls are on the rail. And tournament blue was a little too bright for my taste.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
add me to the list of those who love tourney blue.

I do have vision probs and this color provides me the best contrast.

best,
brian kc

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have always had green. Pool tables are supposed to be green. I have set up tables all over the country with every color imaginable but still go back to green.

I bought a used Diamond with tournament blue on it a while back, the cloth was just a few months old so I decided to keep it. Love the table, hate the cloth. It's wore out now so it's going back to green.

I completely disagree with the optical fatigue thing some have mentioned. I play on green diamonds several hours a week and never have an issue. I am more likely to have an eye issue playing on the blue cloth.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I'm getting green next time I change mine,
For the billiard table even in simonis it's limited
Delsa blue, a bit darker than tourney blue
And green
And possibly a baige but I haven't seen any on a table

Green makes the table look old school for me, which is why I dig it more

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
Years ago I bought a Brunswich Heritage table and had a burnt orange cloth installed to match the decor and satisfy my wife.

She played a few games and never became interested in pool. The cloth remained on the table for years and I was the one who had to "suffer" with it.

I honestly think the color makes a difference in how you see the balls and has some affect on your play (always need some excuse) when playing on a traditional color such as green or the blue.

I had the table rcovered with tournament blue. My wife made a fuss that the blue would contrast with everything else. I still had it installed and never heard anything more about the contrast.

Go with the blue and you will be happier than playing on a decoration.

🎱

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
+2

It brightens the room.

I liked the old green, but have come to like the tournament blue as well.

+ 3 for Tourney Blue. I have it on my 9 foot Diamond & on my Valley bar box. It also goes with my purple basement walls. ;)

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
You don't choose the table color to go with the room - you choose the room color to go with the table. Everybody knows that. :)

I play on green tables all the time, only occasionally on tournament blue. I always look forward to playing on the blue - it's like having backlighting for the balls.

pj
chgo

fishless

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tourney Blue here as well, my factors were for the look it provides and the fact everywhere I play outside of my basement has the blue cloth and its less of a transition.

Cheers,

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
I have always had green. Pool tables are supposed to be green. I have set up tables all over the country with every color imaginable but still go back to green.

I bought a used Diamond with tournament blue on it a while back, the cloth was just a few months old so I decided to keep it. Love the table, hate the cloth. It's wore out now so it's going back to green.

I completely disagree with the optical fatigue thing some have mentioned. I play on green diamonds several hours a week and never have an issue. I am more likely to have an eye issue playing on the blue cloth.

not discounting your opinion because your experience is your experience but I vaguely recall there had been a scientific study done where the blue cloth was shown to provide an overall better contrast.

Wish I could cite the study now but I'm confident one was done.

I think. :eek:

best,
brian kc

Pacecar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My home table is gold cloth, which provides good visibility. But 95% of the tables in league play are green. I have trouble with the green tables visibility (especially with poor lighting), and don't see the object ball as well for long difficult shots. I'm considering changing my home table to green, so that my home practice relates more to the league table play.