How to level table with screw adjustments

livemusic

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a 1974 Brunswick Windsor table that is not quite level on one side, balls curve away from the pockets at slow roll. Each leg has a threaded bolt with two nuts. The bottom nut is thin, the one above is a little thicker. These nuts are not snug, there is about a 1/8" gap between them. Two nuts is usually a locking type of arrangement?

Which one should I turn and iwhich way if I want that leg to be lower, clockwise or counter-clockwise? The one on the top or one on the bottom?

So far, my attempts are not doing anything. I suppose the middle of the table could also be a bit low on that side?

EDIT: Photo is in next post.

Last edited:

livemusic

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a 1974 Brunswick Windsor table that is not quite level on one side, balls curve away from the pockets at slow roll. Each leg has a threaded bolt with two nuts. The bottom nut is thin, the one above is a little thicker. These nuts are not snug, there is about a 1/8" gap between them. Two nuts is usually a locking type of arrangement?

Which one should I turn and iwhich way if I want that leg to be lower, clockwise or counter-clockwise? The one on the top or one on the bottom?

So far, my attempts are not doing anything. I suppose the middle of the table could also be a bit low on that side?

Here is a photo.
IMG_3677.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dopop62

Registered
table leveler

The bottom nut looks to be attached to the plate that sits on floor. As you look at the
leg from the view of the picture, the bottom nut should be turned to the right to lower
the table. Check levelness of table and then lower (turn nut to left) top nut on to the
bottom nut. Reverse the action on the bottom nut to raise table, but turn the locking
nut as before to lower on to the bottom nut.

dopop62

Registered
table leveler..2

Adding to previous post..if the middle of the table is low, things get a little more
complicated. The frame may have swayed a little due to the weight of the slate.
The slates in the middle need to be shimmed slightly (can be done by placing a
plastic playing card or more) under the slates.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member

You better post your image on the 'Talk to a Mechanic' forum for correct answers.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
livemusic...You have an almost 50 year old home furniture style table. It will never play like a Gold Crown or a Diamond, no matter what you do to it. It's sitting on what looks like thick carpet, which doesn't help to keep the table playing level. There are plenty of used GC tables all over the country (including LA) that will play 10x better than what you have.

Have you contacted the Louisiana instructor I turned you on to yet? Getting some good instruction will be the first step to playing better...and you can learn on the table you have now.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not a mechanic, but the lower hex looks like the head of a bolt, and the upper hex is a jam nut.

If the table is on the first floor, pretend you are in the basement, standing under the leg, and looking straight up trough the ceiling into the leg. If you turn the head of the bolt counter-clockwise from that viewpoint, it will back the bolt out. Which will make the bolt length longer, and will raise the slate at that corner. If you turn the head of the bolt clockwise, it will screw the bolt in making it shorter, and lowering the slate on that corner of the table.

Before turning the bolt head, move the jam nut so its finger tight with the bolt head. This will give you freedom to move the bolt head in any direction. When you are satisfied with the level, you can then move the jam nut (clockwise from the basement viewpoint) so that it gets tight against the underside of the leg. This will prevent the bolt from moving inadvertently.

Last edited:

livemusic

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Adding to previous post..if the middle of the table is low, things get a little more
complicated. The frame may have swayed a little due to the weight of the slate.
The slates in the middle need to be shimmed slightly (can be done by placing a
plastic playing card or more) under the slates.

livemusic...You have an almost 50 year old home furniture style table. It will never play like a Gold Crown or a Diamond, no matter what you do to it. It's sitting on what looks like thick carpet, which doesn't help to keep the table playing level. There are plenty of used GC tables all over the country (including LA) that will play 10x better than what you have.

Have you contacted the Louisiana instructor I turned you on to yet? Getting some good instruction will be the first step to playing better...and you can learn on the table you have now.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Scott, thanks, but I did not contact the instructor, he is just about as far from me in Louisiana as one can be. I am in the other end of the state. If there is one in Shreveport, that's close. There is a cue builder in Shreveport, I thought I would ask him, he has a pool hall. Haven't made it down there yet.

I dunno... buying a Gold Crown doesn't seem warranted to me, seems that this table should suffice, especially since I have already posted on here that it's possible that a career development might mean I leave this town (and the table). As for the balls moving a bit on a slow shot, it didn't do that before. If it can be easily fixed, I prefer to get this table in better shape. I can have plenty of fun on it right now, as is, but it can be better.

Adding to previous post..if the middle of the table is low, things get a little more complicated. The frame may have swayed a little due to the weight of the slate. The slates in the middle need to be shimmed slightly (can be done by placing a plastic playing card or more) under the slates.

The bottom nut really is a nut, it is not attached to the round foot. When I turn that bottom nut, it is all that turns.

This table has a one-piece slate. Since it's one-piece... hmmm... can one-piece slate swag? Excuse my ignorance lol.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Not a mechanic, but the lower hex looks like the head of a bolt, and the upper hex is a jam nut.

If the table is on the first floor, pretend you are in the basement, standing under the leg,
and looking straight up trough the ceiling into the leg. If you turn the head of the bolt
counter-clockwise from that viewpoint, it will back the bolt out. Which will make the
bolt length longer, and will raise the slate at that corner. If you turn the head of the bolt
clockwise, it will screw the bolt in making it shorter, and lowering the slate on that corner of the table.

During my first marriage, as I was holding the refrigerator at a severe angle, my wife was under it turning the leg screw.
She asked me what direction to turn it and I basically gave her the same advice you just gave, which I thought and
still think was great.

She screamed at me, "Which way????/...Left or right??????"

Of course that meant nothing re the upside down of it all, so I just said, "Left?"

It wasn't too long after that that one day she was gone. hmmmm...As I look back on it, it's too bad we didn't have a pool table, she might have left earlier. :thumbup:

Jeff Livingston

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
During my first marriage, as I was holding the refrigerator at a severe angle, my wife was under it turning the leg screw.
She asked me what direction to turn it and I basically gave her the same advice you just gave, which I thought and
still think was great.

She screamed at me, "Which way????/...Left or right??????"

Of course that meant nothing re the upside down of it all, so I just said, "Left?"

It wasn't too long after that that one day she was gone. hmmmm...As I look back on it, it's too bad we didn't have a pool table, she might have left earlier. :thumbup:

Jeff Livingston

Ha ha. I thought this was going to end with a crushed wife;)

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
snip...

The bottom nut really is a nut, it is not attached to the round foot. When I turn that bottom nut, it is all that turns.

...snip

If both nuts are free to spin on the threaded bolt, then that flat piece of sheet metal touching the carpet is probably welded onto the bolt, and they are one unit. In that case, the two nuts might be meant to be jammed against "each other", in order to facilitate turning the screw. You would do this with two wrenches, and make the nuts tight against each other, with the bottom nut somewhat close to the sheetmetal. Then if you want to unscrew the bolt to lengthen it, you would put the wrench on the top nut, and turn it counterclockwise (same viewpoint as before). If you want to shorten the bolt, you would put the wrench on the bottom nut and turn it clockwise.

Alternatively, if you have any way to slightly lift one corner of the table, so that there is no weight on that bolt, you can just grab the sheetmetal plate with your hand and spin it.