Willie Mosconi's autograph

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
I thought he signed most cue balls straight across....on the eBay page, it looks like some of them have his name signed first on top, last on bottom.
I wonder if that was as he got older and harder to sign in straight line.

All those with the two line sig, the ones that are "certified", look different, particularly the letter M.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
unless he signed balls for some retail seller no way did anyone who went to his exhibitions would have a ball to sign.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
unless he signed balls for some retail seller no way did anyone who went to his exhibitions would have a ball to sign.
I have heard that he signed many boxes of balls in his later years.

As for the value of his autograph, it depends on timing. I got a dated inscribed 1948 autograph in a copy of his red book for $12 recently.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have an autographed photo says says "To Hank Dietle's. Willie Mosconi." I wish I had asked him to say "To Jennie" instead.

jimmyquinella

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I approached him at BCA convention in 91 or 92 this is how the exchange went.

Me : " Hello Mr. Mosconi, if you could make the signature out to Jim please"

Mosconi : "hmmpf" he grumbled as he started to sign a black and white BCA sponsored 8x10 photo.

Me : Looking a little nervous and defiantly out of my league deciding to take a shot and speak to the man...

- " Mr. Mosconi, I just want to tell you how great an influence you have been over my life in and out of pool... thank you so much for all that you have done! "

He then slowly handed me the photo as he locked eyes with mine. Here was 80 years of extensive pool knowledge in front of me, and I could tell that my little speech had really affected him deeply.

Mosconi: "Next"

As I briskly walked away, I happen to glance down at my personally autographed BCA sponsored black and white 8x10 with the inspiring inscription ---- "To Kim"

For the rest of the day I went by the name "Kim" :)

A few other times I had the chance to meet and chat with him, but this will always remain in my memory bank.

Last edited:

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I approached him at BCA convention in 91 or 92 this is how the exchange went.

Mosconi : "hmmpf" he grumbled as he started to sign a black and white BCA sponsored 8x10 photo.

Me : Looking a little nervous and defiantly out of my league deciding to take a shot and speak to the man...

- " Mr. Mosconi, I just want to tell you how great an influence you have been over my life in and out of pool... thank you so much for all that you have done! "

He then slowly handed me the photo as he locked eyes with mine. Here was 80 years of extensive pool knowledge in front of me, and I could tell that my little speech had really affected him deeply.

As I briskly walked away, I happen to glance down at my personally autographed BCA sponsored black and white 8x10 with the inspiring inscription ---- "To Kim"

A few other times I had the chance to meet and chat with him, but this will always remain in my memory bank.

Allegory -
As a literary device, an allegory is a metaphor in which a character, place or event is used to deliver a broader message about real-world issues and occurrences.

Your post might be one of the best allegories for pool I've ever seen. It gave me a laugh. Thanks for sharing.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Very funny, your story made me smile.

I have Willie's autograph (the only autograph I have ever asked for in my life) from an exhibition he did over in Oakland, CA back in the mid 70's.

So here's my Mosconi story covering the now infamous theft of his CB:

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=82386

Lou Figueroa

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t know how anybody could estimate the number of autographs Willie provided during his lifetime. I attended a charity event raising funds for a community playground in 1992 where he was the main attraction. Everybody (me included) wanted autographed pictures with him and he obliged each us. At least in those days, it was rare to find a person regardless of their background in pool who did not recognize his name.

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agree

I thought he signed most cue balls straight across....on the eBay page, it looks like some of them have his name signed first on top, last on bottom.

I thought the same thing straight across .

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had Willie sign a ball when he was at Hard Times Bellflower..
same thing.. "Mr. Mosconi, I...."
"OK, that's it... hmmf "

I had Fats sign a ball, same thing.. " OK, kid.. it's signed..."

Alrighty then....

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think there is a practical reason for the two-line signature. I believe at some point he was signing a lot of balls. If you leave them in the box, there is a lot less handling but you probably need to sign on two lines. Also, there is less chance of smudging if they stay in the box.

DappleHillJim

Registered
I had the same experience with the great photographer Ansel Adams at his Yosemite Workshop in June 1977. I bought one of his books and asked him to sign it “To Jim”. After he walked away and I recovered from being in the presence of the great man, I looked at the inscription: “To Tim”.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Through the mail I think some were signed by his wife. I forgot that I had an in person and mailed for one. Signature I got on the 5 x 7 black and white was definitely different.