Do you use a safe?

poolpro2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi all,

I am curious about how people keep their high end pool cues protected from thievery.

If someone broke into my house, all they would have to do is find the right closet and they could clean me out.

I have looked at a couple of gun safes. Is that what people use?

Are there actual cue safes? (Maybe a new business idea?)

Safety deposit boxes?

Do you have to worry about climate and humidity if they are sealed, (locked) in a safe? Do I want an air tight safe?

I would appreciate any suggestions.

thank you,

John

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi all,

I am curious about how people keep their high end pool cues protected from thievery.

If someone broke into my house, all they would have to do is find the right closet and they could clean me out.

I have looked at a couple of gun safes. Is that what people use?

Are there actual cue safes? (Maybe a new business idea?)

Safety deposit boxes?

Do you have to worry about climate and humidity if they are sealed, (locked) in a safe? Do I want an air tight safe?

I would appreciate any suggestions.

thank you,

John

If you have the space, make a small walk in closet and put an exterior type door with a deadbolt.

Just make sure the walls are reinforced. Its not very expensive to do it if you xan do the work your self.

Of course, it depends on how much room you need

Also, consider that you can install a vent for heat/air to control the air.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Safe deposit box works well for rifle bolts, pistol slides and revolver cylinders, but they are too small for a cue. Typically 22"-24" long. The bank vault can also be cold.

You can control the climate of a home safe with an electric dehumidifier, such as Goldenrod brand, that will keep the humidity at 50% and the temp at 70°.

Bolt your safe to the floor and wall and conceal it the best you can. Even the best home safes can be breached.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yes I have a gun safe and a large steel locked cabinet for my good cues.

And all over the house in every room and closet I have inexpensive cues.

Most of my cues I haven't checked them or seen them in fifteen years.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Home alarm system, Locked Gun safe inside a closet, bolted to the walls, and a .357 in case I am lucky enough to be home when some low life decides to break into my home! If they do, you won't have to worry about that guy stealing YOUR cues!

SJpilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My boss has 6 Schon unique's on the display rack by his table. I asked him about it and he said that burglars would probably just take the safe, and guns were easy to replace.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rjb1168

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Gun safe is what i used along with good cases Fellini, Thomas, george style.
Mine is 30" x 24" x 60"

poolpro2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
True, you would have to be a burglar kind of "in the know" to take cues.

I think if one "knew" and tried to sell a high end cue, the population that would buy it for what it is, is relatively small. Unfortunately, it would probably go to someone who had no idea of it's worth.

But, it has also been shown in the art world, ancient artifacts and other places that there are collectors who pay premium prices just to treasure the item as theirs, knowing no one else can have it.

I have some of those desirable objects that is why I am asking. jk.

Really like the reinforced closet idea. Not too much effort. Just hide it.

Had a buddy, he bought a safe and put it in his closet. The thieves picked it up and walked out with it!

Would anyone put it in a climate controlled storage unit?

TommyT

Obsessed
Silver Member
If you look around your house you will find plenty of hiding places. Upstairs, downstairs, basement etc. Sometimes a little construction may be needed.

The important part is to tell someone you trust where or leave instructions on the location in another safe or safety deposit box.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Shop for the proper safe if you get one. Most are easy to break into. The best safe is one that nobody knows about. Interesting...my 1 st marriage was slightly fk'd up...come home one day and (more than) a few items were not there. My Doc Frye was in a safe. Still have the cue because of the safe. Someone tried to enter it and could not. Here's an interesting video for choosing a safe. Be sure to bolt it regardless of how heavy it is...2 people bring it in...2 can carry it out. .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltK-bDbADa8&t=47s

Last edited:

Rimfirejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Home alarm system, Locked Gun safe inside a closet, bolted to the walls, and a .357 in case I am lucky enough to be home when some low life decides to break into my home! If they do, you won't have to worry about that guy stealing YOUR cues!

Bolted to the wall? That’s not a gun safe. That’s a beer can masquerading as a gun safe!

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Build yourself a phony Vent, that your cues are stored in. Just cut a hole in the wall or ceiling, store your Cues & put a long vent over the hole. Voila, a hidden place for your cues.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bolted to the wall? That’s not a gun safe. That’s a beer can masquerading as a gun safe!

Yes most gun safes have holes in the back and floor of the safe that you can use to BOLT the safe to the floor or walls of your home - reason is as others stated- if thieves knew you were away they could potentially just carry the safe out into a waiting truck- has happened many times- that is why you install an alarm system AND a BOLTED safe- nobody is going to stick around long enough to break into the safe at that point when the alarm is triggered. We are talking about FULL size gun safes that would normally hold rifles/shotguns/ semi-autos

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Shop for the proper safe if you get one. Most are easy to break into. The best safe is one that nobody knows about. Interesting...my 1 st marriage was slightly fk'd up...come home one day and (more than) a few items were not there. My Doc Frye was in a safe. Still have the cue because of the safe. Someone tried to enter it and could not. Here's an interesting video for choosing a safe. Be sure to bolt it regardless of how heavy it is...2 people bring it in...2 can carry it out. .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltK-bDbADa8&t=47s

There are many, many gun safes on the market that:

A.) Are simply too large and heavy to be carried out by ANY two people. When my son-in-law's gun safe was brought to his home, they had to wheel that huge turd in on a motorized dolly and they STILL had trouble manhandling that beast. Then...when you get it loaded with various items it becomes much heavier still. Plus all that, his safe is bolted to his floor with 4 very large bolts.

B.) There are literally hundreds of gun safes out there that one cannot easily breach. A typical smash-and-grab junkie? Absolutely not. A professional thief? Probably, but my home would never be the target of that type of criminal...and I bet a lot of other pool player's homes fall into the same category.

Maniac

Last edited:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There are many, many gun safes on the market that:

A.) Are simply too large and heavy to be carried out by ANY two people. When my son-in-law's gun safe was brought to his home, they had to wheel that huge turd in on a motorized dolly and they STILL had trouble manhandling that beast. Then...when you get it loaded with various items it becomes much heavier still. Plus all that, his safe is bolted to his floor with 4 very large bolts.

B.) There are literally hundreds of gun safes out there that one cannot easily breach. A typical smash-and-grab junkie? Absolutely not. A professional thief? Probably, but my home would never be the target of that type of criminal...and I bet a lot of other pool player's homes fall into the same category.

Maniac

Currently I hide everything in the hamper:D

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I have a safe for guns, a heavy document safe. It would be easier to break into it than carry away most likely but either would take some time and effort. And first you'd have to find it which will take some real effort. It's mainly to keep them out of the hands of shady contractors, kids and others for safety reasons. They aren't super high dollar guns but I suppose add up to over $10k. I'm not going to spend $4k for a better safe that will still just slow a thief down a little more. There's probably 3 times that in watches up in my closet or guitars in the basement but it's too much hassle locking them up because I wear/use them all and besides, they as well as the guns are insured. I do move them to the safe when away for more than a day or so.

For cues, if we are talking tens of thousands $$, it's probably time for a real safe. I have a dozen or so on the wall of my home room, some mine, some for visitors but nothing over a $600 each and most no more than a few hundred. If I had a collection more in the $3-8k total value range I think I'd be more inclined to hide them. A safe screams "you probably want what's in here", a well worn box marked "xmas tree" among the other tubs and boxes of decorations in the basement storeroom will probably be left alone.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That's genius. Nobody's gonna pick through a bunch of dirty undies and smelly t-shirts looking for something valuable. :thumbup:

Maniac

Thanks Maniac. Keep my wallet & cards on the bottom. Wife had no idea where my stuff is. :grin: