Who are the top five players in your state?

LastTwo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For California there are so many top players, here are some I can remember:

Jose Parica
Ernesto Dominguez
Keith McCready (do u still live here?)
Mark Tad
Santos Sambajon (moved to Chicago)
Max Eberle
Ismael "Morro" Paez
Bernardo Chavez
Tony Annigoni
Rafael Martinez
Tony Chohan
Tang Hoa
Amar Kang
George Michaels
Ronnie Allen
Billy Palmer
Dave Hemmah
Bryce Avila
Marshall Jung

thebigdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mark Tad?

Last two is Mark Tad playing again? I asked about him in a thread a few months back and nobody seemed to know anything about his whereabouts. Last I heard he had given up pool and poker and was a born again Christian, if he is back playing then everybody better watch out. When he quit playing in the early 90's probobly only Efren and Parica were better all around players.

thebigdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A story about Mark Tad

I saw Mark Tad play Johnny Archer at the Bicylce Club before the players meeting. They had agreed to play some 8 ahead for 8k, Mark getting the last two. Right before the game begins a guy in the stands starts piping up saying he wished he'd known about this game earlier and that he would have taken 2k of Johnny's action. Without hesitation Mark tells the guy "I'll flip you for two grand right now!" .... The guy agrees and they flip the coin, Mark wins and takes the two grand and while walking away says "I'm only playing for $6,000 now!".
Johnny then beat Mark pretty bad took about 1 hour to go 8 ahead, I don't think he ever missed a shot. Johnny then left the room and Bill Incardona comes in a starts woofin at Mark to play some $500 a game one pocket, Mark plays and proceeds to win about 7-8 games in a row before Incardona quits. Rumor had it that two weeks prior to that tournament Mark ended up taking 2nd place that tournament to Kim Davenport, He also played at the Los Angeles Open that summer which ran a similar format to DCC with a 9-ball, banks, and One Pocket tournament. BTW he won all three of them and all the top players were there.

Jimmy M.

Insomniac
Silver Member
thebigdog said:
BTW he won all three of them and all the top players were there.

He actually came in 2nd in the one-pocket, but still, 2 1st place finishes and 1 2nd. That's pretty damn strong. And yes, they were all there.

LastTwo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mark Tad is still playing. I heard he's in Utah alot, my friend ran into him at a poolroom out there. Mark asked my friend if he's a player, and my friend said "i'm not very good, can you show me a few things?" So Mark throws 15 balls out on the table, and just starts firing balls in effortlessly, stroking the cueball perfectly. He told my friend, "You just gotta learn to hit 'em like that. Once you learn that hit, the game becomes easy."

thebigdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm glad to hear that Mark is playing again. He is a very exciting player to watch. I would like to see him match up with some of these guys from norcal, players like Chohan and Amar. If Mark is back on his game there might only be about 5 guys on the planet who would like an even matchup with him in any game.

1 Pocket Ghost

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey JimmyM and bigdog....

I don't remember that 3 way L.A. Open tournament that you guys were talking about and I was wondering if you could report a little more about it....Like, how many and which years did they have it - where was it held and who ran/put the tournament together, and do you remember who all came in 1st through 4th in each game ?....Thanks, Ghost

matthew

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What about Hawaii and Alaska.

I guess Rodney Morris doesn't live there anymore. Who else outside of the continental US can play ?

hemicudas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
matthew said:
What about Hawaii and Alaska.

I guess Rodney Morris doesn't live there anymore. Who else outside of the continental US can play ?

"Hawaiian" Brian Hashamoto (sp).

thebigdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1 Pocket Ghost said:
I don't remember that 3 way L.A. Open tournament that you guys were talking about and I was wondering if you could report a little more about it....Like, how many and which years did they have it - where was it held and who ran/put the tournament together, and do you remember who all came in 1st through 4th in each game ?....Thanks, Ghost
I only remember that tournament running one year, they had it at a hotel by LAX around '93 or '94. I can't remember who the top finishers were in the tournaments other than Tadd. If I remember correct Jay Helfert was the TD, I can tell you that guys like Efren, Parica, Cornbread Red, Ronnie Allen, Jimmy Fusco, Cecil Tugwell and many more were there. All I really remember was how Mark Tadd totally dominated the event.

sizl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pooljunkie4ever said:
Yeah Sizi, thats him, have u heard or seen him?

That's SIZL to you "junkie"!lol Brian was well on his way to becoming one of the top players in the country. Unfortunately he passed away in the early 90's.(leukemia I believe) It was very sad, not only was he a great player but he was a great person, I never ever heard one bad word about him.

He lived in my hometown for a while and he practiced all of the time. He would practice on a 5x10 tight-pocket snooker table, with regulation pool balls. You think that will make you shoot straight?

I think of him often and I know I am not the only one, he was a good person!

dooziexx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
dooziexx said:
Illinois

Dallas West (Is he still alive??)
Marco Marquez
Jeff Sergent
John Abruzzo
Buddy Hall (When he lived in Metropolis)
Henry Brodt
Ike Runnels
Gil Hernandez
Sarah Rousey

Forgot to list JESSE BOWMAN... man can this kid play!!!

P

pooljunkie4ever

Tks SIZL, lol, just noticed what i did. I remember last time I saw him Brian was travelling with Buddy Hall, and Johnny Archer. It was a tournament at CJ's. He was a great person.

sizl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pooljunkie4ever said:
Tks SIZL, lol, just noticed what i did. I remember last time I saw him Brian was travelling with Buddy Hall, and Johnny Archer. It was a tournament at CJ's. He was a great person.

I know Brian and Johnny were good friends and used to travel together.

Before Brian passed away he was top 5 in ALOT of states!

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LastTwo said:
For California there are so many top players, here are some I can remember:

Jose Parica
Ernesto Dominguez
Keith McCready (do u still live here?)
Mark Tad
Santos Sambajon (moved to Chicago)
Max Eberle
Ismael "Morro" Paez
Bernardo Chavez
Tony Annigoni
Rafael Martinez
Tony Chohan
Tang Hoa
Amar Kang
George Michaels
Ronnie Allen
Billy Palmer
Dave Hemmah
Bryce Avila
Marshall Jung

Santos Won the Swanie Tourney in San Diego last month and Marshall Jung came in 3rd/4th with Aaron Aragon ( the wheelchair champ). There were many on your list there amongst the 190+ entrants.

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jimmy M. said:
He actually came in 2nd in the one-pocket, but still, 2 1st place finishes and 1 2nd. That's pretty damn strong. And yes, they were all there.

I believe that Jose Parica won (at least one of the games).