Watch Guys: suggestions needed...

HUKIT

F* ks Given...Zero
Silver Member
Ideologist suggested Jomashop.com. That is a great place to check out the different styles and brands. Good luck!! :thumbup:

I bought a Tag and a Movado from Jomashop and both broke within 6 months and the shitty part with gray market watches is they’re only warrantied through Jomashop not the original manufacturer. I won’t use them again as both watches broke “exactly” the same, the large hand fell off which is too coincidental in my opinion.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Seikos and Citizen have great watches in the OP price range.

My girlfriend bought me a Citizen Eco-Drive for my birthday one year. (My request, she knows I collect watches and I know she cannot afford what I prefer.)

Have been very pleased with it. It has exceeded my expectations in every way.

dbgordie

Thread Killer!!
Silver Member
I bought a Tag and a Movado from Jomashop and both broke within 6 months and the shitty part with gray market watches is they’re only warrantied through Jomashop not the original manufacturer. I won’t use them again as both watches broke “exactly” the same, the large hand fell off which is too coincidental in my opinion.

I did not say to buy from them, only to look at the different styles and brands. I believe your advice should be followed. :)

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member

There are lots of horror stories out there about Jomashop.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
There are lots of horror stories out there about Jomashop.

I was also only suggesting them for research although I have purchased from them with no issues. Still, I don't recommend them to novices for a frost purchase or a gift.

HUKIT

F* ks Given...Zero
Silver Member
Did their in-house warranty resolve the problems?

The Movado they fixed and the Tag said it was due to impact but there was no damage so I paid out of pocket for that one. I questioned why both had the same problem and their response was “it happens” and I’m like shit?!

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
That sucks.

I too have read mixed reviews. Their prices are tempting, but after hearing this, No way, Jose!

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Check all reviews before buying from any online stores.

I did. Princeton is an authorized dealer for every watch they sell. Bought my Hamilton Khaki from them 10 years ago. It's on my wrist as I post...

knicks

Registered
I am very pleased with the performance/durability of the CITIZEN ECO-DRIVE watches.
Like them so much, I have three.
Keep great time.

Solar Powered never have to change a battery

When not in use, the box is actually a stand.
Place facing a sun lit window, pull out crown, charges to capacity.

Some models are water resistant - 200M / 20 BAR (Scuba Diving)

Price Range $300 - $500

Had first one for 4 years now, no issues.

I will not purchase another watch with a glass exhibition case back.

Some makes have a reoccurring condensation issue, such as the Seiko Kinetic I purchased.

All the Best

JohnnyP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I opened the thread expecting to WATCH someone play. Then I see the OP has $1k to spend on his son, so I thought he was buying him a nice cue. Oh well.

dealerphil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why Choose a slow Watch!?

If a watch is the gift to mark the time of accomplishment, then give a watch that has a deeper meaning.

The Brand: slow
Half Speed: Ronda 505.24 Swiss Made
ONLY a one hand timepiece

https://www.slow-watches.com/

V V V V V V V Below is WHY! V V V V V V V

EVOLVE THE WAY YOU THINK ABOUT TIME.
slow watches were created to shift the way people read time. So rather than focusing on the second or the minute we have produced an instrument that measures the moment.

slow does not describe a speed…. It’s a mindset that most of us somehow lost. As a result of our busy lifestyles, we often forget that we actually have a choice of how to live. The slow watch (we named it slow Jo) is a subtle reminder that time is the most precious thing we have so we should enjoy everything we do and stop chasing every minute.

In order to be a true symbol of this idea, the slow watch has only one hand that rotates once every 24 hours. It actually moves at half the speed of a normal watch, but allows you to see the progress of your entire day at a glance. This slow way of showing the time is made possible by using a Swiss precision GMT movement that actually has 4 hands and a date (the Ronda 505.24 Swiss Made), but to keep you focused we simply left out the other 3 hands.

Get out of the hamster wheel!
Focus your time on what you really love to do – go for a surf, hang out with friends and family, explore the world, work on something you’re passionate about….all these simple pleasures that can be easy to forget. Of course, we realize most of us live in a world where it’s unfortunately not always possible to do those things we love, but the slow mindset is here to help you to have fun in whatever you are doing. So no matter where you are slow Jo is made to be your long lasting companion on your journey in hectic modern times.

Check out the detailed photos and we’ll let the integrity of the case design speak for itself. slow Jo’s innovative construction allows perfect symmetry on all axes and the raised extra hard glass creates a sweet vintage feel – simply an object of sophistication. That’s why it only uses the highest quality materials and is manufactured in Switzerland by the guys who do slow.

In accordance with the brand concept, purchasing a slow watch should be a stress free experience. It should be simple and not cost a fortune…that’s why slow watches can only be ordered online and will be shipped directly from our factory in Switzerland to you without a middleman increasing the price.

Have a great time and be slow…

Attachments

• slow watches.JPG
    slow watches.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 159

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
When not in use, the box is actually a stand.
Place facing a sun lit window, pull out crown, charges to capacity.

The Eco-Drive does not need to be placed facing a window to charge. Any light will charge it, as in wearing it. You can throw it in a dresser drawer for up to 6 months and it will keep time.

And please do not pull the crown on any watch to store it. This opens a seal which can allow humidity and/or dust to enter the movement.

I will not purchase another watch with a glass exhibition case back. Some makes have a reoccurring condensation issue...

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
If a watch is the gift to mark the time of accomplishment, then give a watch that has a deeper meaning.

The Brand: slow
Half Speed: Ronda 505.24 Swiss Made
ONLY a one hand timepiece

https://www.slow-watches.com/

V V V V V V V Below is WHY! V V V V V V V

EVOLVE THE WAY YOU THINK ABOUT TIME.
slow watches were created to shift the way people read time. So rather than focusing on the second or the minute we have produced an instrument that measures the moment.

slow does not describe a speed…. It’s a mindset that most of us somehow lost. As a result of our busy lifestyles, we often forget that we actually have a choice of how to live. The slow watch (we named it slow Jo) is a subtle reminder that time is the most precious thing we have so we should enjoy everything we do and stop chasing every minute.

In order to be a true symbol of this idea, the slow watch has only one hand that rotates once every 24 hours. It actually moves at half the speed of a normal watch, but allows you to see the progress of your entire day at a glance. This slow way of showing the time is made possible by using a Swiss precision GMT movement that actually has 4 hands and a date (the Ronda 505.24 Swiss Made), but to keep you focused we simply left out the other 3 hands.

Get out of the hamster wheel!
Focus your time on what you really love to do – go for a surf, hang out with friends and family, explore the world, work on something you’re passionate about….all these simple pleasures that can be easy to forget. Of course, we realize most of us live in a world where it’s unfortunately not always possible to do those things we love, but the slow mindset is here to help you to have fun in whatever you are doing. So no matter where you are slow Jo is made to be your long lasting companion on your journey in hectic modern times.

Check out the detailed photos and we’ll let the integrity of the case design speak for itself. slow Jo’s innovative construction allows perfect symmetry on all axes and the raised extra hard glass creates a sweet vintage feel – simply an object of sophistication. That’s why it only uses the highest quality materials and is manufactured in Switzerland by the guys who do slow.

In accordance with the brand concept, purchasing a slow watch should be a stress free experience. It should be simple and not cost a fortune…that’s why slow watches can only be ordered online and will be shipped directly from our factory in Switzerland to you without a middleman increasing the price.

Have a great time and be slow…

I get it, but stuff like that is a hipster fueled joke to watch guys. They are the wristwatch equivalent of an aluminum cue with the Budweiser Logo screen printed on it. Stick with Hamilton, Citizen, Seiko, Longines, Tissot, Fortis, Orient or Oris.

Last edited:

dealerphil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
logical: "I get it, but stuff like that is a hipster fueled joke to watch guys. They are the wristwatch equivalent of an aluminum cue with the Budweiser Logo screen printed on it. Stick with Hamilton, Citizen, Seiko, Longines, Tissot, Fortis, Orient or Oris."

Then it is logical that you truly don't get it.

I am a watch guy. I peruse the wrist of all the gentlemen I encounter. I have embellished my wrist with Breitling, Tag Heuer, Rolex, Tissot, U-Boat, Panerai, etc. Would I double take a black-faced Submariner? Nope. Would I drool over a Citizen or Seiko? Def nope.

Do you know what I received when I graduated college from my Dad? I was forced to partake and help landscape the yard at my house with him and my Mom. Would I have shed a tear if I had received a better thought out keepsake that expressed a deeper understanding towards life? Absolutely.

Call it hipster. Call it what you wish.

There is more to life than seeking old-school, tired and over-worn, established brands of wrist bling.

Last edited:

robertod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do not know of too many "young" Millennials that wear a watch. the smartphone pretty much is killing the watch IMO.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Then it is logical that you truly don't get it.

I am a watch guy. I peruse the wrist of all the gentlemen I encounter. I have embellished my wrist with Breitling, Tag Heuer, Rolex, Tissot, U-Boat, Panerai, etc. Would I double take a black-faced Submariner? Nope. Would I drool over a Citizen or Seiko? Def nope.

Do you know what I received when I graduated college from my Dad? I was forced to partake and help landscape the yard at my house with him and my Mom. Would I have shed a tear if I had received a better thought out keepsake that expressed a deeper understanding towards life? Absolutely.

Call it hipster. Call it what you wish.

There is more to life than seeking old-school, tired and over-worn, established brands of wrist bling.

It's simply my opinion, but a strong one. I have no shame that I prefer classic watches over what are (to me) gimmick products. I think a gift like this should be a time-tested and classic design.