Sardo Tight Rack

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dont see or hear much about the Sardo Tight rack anymore. 15 years or so ago it seemed to be used alot at some major tournaments.

Is it still around? Ever used in tournaments anymore?

r/DCP

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I feel like it has the potential to be just as good as a magic rack, except a lot more clunky. However, I’ve fallen out of love with the magic rack because it takes too much of the randomness out of the break. At the professional level, I like randomly loose racks here and there. I like it when “pool” happens.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dont see or hear much about the Sardo Tight rack anymore. 15 years or so ago it seemed to be used alot at some major tournaments.

Is it still around? Ever used in tournaments anymore?

r/DCP
No. The big drawback, imo anyway, was the "setting" process. You basically had to hammer it in for it to work. Left pretty deep dents/impressions in the cloth. Haven't seen one in yrs.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
The Sardonic work well, but it was heavy, and bulky. Sold mine.

Good old Triangle works ok, Magic Rack works well.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s been dead and buried for 15 years. Then it came back to life for Schmidt’s 626. Now it’s buried again.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No. The big drawback, imo anyway, was the "setting" process. You basically had to hammer it in for it to work. Left pretty deep dents/impressions in the cloth. Haven't seen one in yrs.

You can take any good rack, beat the balls into position, then take a pos plastic rack and get the balls to freeze in place. That Sardo rack is a joke.

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
You can take any good rack, beat the balls into position, then take a pos plastic rack and get the balls to freeze in place. That Sardo rack is a joke.

This.

I remember they gave one to Bert and asked for an endorsement. He tried it and found it to be a pos as well. The spring mechanism they pushed down was just smoke and mirrors -not needed at all.

GaryB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Al of the above. Three things going for it--gave a tight rack---the Sardo brothers. Nice successful guys who loved pool.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I feel like it has the potential to be just as good as a magic rack, except a lot more clunky. However, I’ve fallen out of love with the magic rack because it takes too much of the randomness out of the break. At the professional level, I like randomly loose racks here and there. I like it when “pool” happens.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

i agree if there is a neutral racker involved. without one there is too much gamesmanship. another drawback is the time spent inspecting the rack.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any decent thin plastic rack like Magic Rack or Turtle Rack works the best.
It provides consistent dispersement on the break & the object balls lay tight.
You cannot do better than that and the rack is pretty inexpensive too.....IMO.

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember this. I fell into the Sardo hype and was not aware this needed to be done. I was never able to get it properly set and always had balls rolling out of their divots.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It died with the 9-ball rack every ma and pop rec room supply store included with this "New table package". Serious, has anyone ever preferred using a 9-ball rack?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember this. I fell into the Sardo hype and was not aware this needed to be done. I was never able to get it properly set and always had balls rolling out of their divots.

I was at a tourn. and Lou himself was there. I watched him "set" one and couldn't believe how hard he was banging on the balls to set it up.

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
They were all the rage for awhile. People were fighting for them on ebay like they fought for the Revo. I heard the Sardo's lost a million on them.