Detailed cue question... ignore if you're not into cues

Alex Kanapilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I posted this in the ask the cue maker section but I'm reposting here because of the larger audience. Sorry if that's bad form...

I tried the LD shaft thing for a few months and just recently abandoned it to go back to my southwest. The shots I had hoped to get better at, long shots with english and speed, never panned out for me. In fact, I got worse with the LD shaft as I lost confidence. I never did fully get used to parallel shifting to aim vs. pivoting with back hand english (I think that's what I do).

Anyway, for my LD shaft experiment, I had an AE butt where I had Ernie Martinez extend the wrap all the way down to the butt cap. I really like this part of my experimental cue and wish I had an extended wrap on my southwest. Needless to say, I'm not going to do that to my southwest, so I'm trying to find out who else out there makes butts using a southwest pin.

I have a specific design in mind where I have an extended irish linen wrap but also a matching screw in extension for long reach shots. Please suggest a cue maker I can contact to make me such a butt. I want to pair this butt up with a southwest shaft that I'm used to using.Thanks.

Oh and reasonably priced would be great.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I posted this in the ask the cue maker section but I'm reposting here because of the larger audience. Sorry if that's bad form...

I tried the LD shaft thing for a few months and just recently abandoned it to go back to my southwest. The shots I had hoped to get better at, long shots with english and speed, never panned out for me. In fact, I got worse with the LD shaft as I lost confidence. I never did fully get used to parallel shifting to aim vs. pivoting with back hand english (I think that's what I do).

Anyway, for my LD shaft experiment, I had an AE butt where I had Ernie Martinez extend the wrap all the way down to the butt cap. I really like this part of my experimental cue and wish I had an extended wrap on my southwest. Needless to say, I'm not going to do that to my southwest, so I'm trying to find out who else out there makes butts using a southwest pin.

I have a specific design in mind where I have an extended irish linen wrap but also a matching screw in extension for long reach shots. Please suggest a cue maker I can contact to make me such a butt. I want to pair this butt up with a southwest shaft that I'm used to using.Thanks.

Oh and reasonably priced would be great.

Rick Howard is the best alternative. (Mace Cues)

Ken

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
The SW 3/8 11 with 5/16 minor is common.
Any good cue maker can make a cue with that screw .
The SW shaft has a thinner than the usual collar diameter ( around .835" ) .
Most makers make them at .840" and up.
The maker will have to match the shaft with the butt so you won't have a lip in the joint.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Cue

The maker will have to match the shaft with the butt so you won't have a lip in the joint.

You sound just like the person to do the Job, Why don't you quote the op a price ?

Alex Kanapilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You mean that sort of upside down looking pin? I think Ernie has used that pin

Not sure what you mean by that but here's a pic of a southwest pin...
SWPin.jpg

Ernie makes his own pins

SC02GTP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Contact Pete Ohman (Omen Custom Cues). He does fantastic work and offers a super nice SP for reasonable money.

Alex Kanapilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rick Howard is the best alternative. (Mace Cues)

Ken

Thanks, just found his website. Looks like he's located in Florida.

Maybe I'm wrong on this but Florida is hot and humid vs temperate and arid (and generally perfect :smile:) like it is here in Denver, won't a cue made there and shipped here tend to warp due to the dissimilar climates?

Alex Kanapilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks for the helpful info.

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
Thanks, just found his website. Looks like he's located in Florida.

Maybe I'm wrong on this but Florida is hot and humid vs temperate and arid (and generally perfect ) like it is here in Denver, won't a cue made there and shipped here tend to warp due to the dissimilar climates?
I have a Rick Howard cue that was made in the 90s. I think I'm the 4th owner. It has been all over North America, finally taking up residence in Canada. That cue hasn't moved. It is poker straight, butt and both shafts. It's perhaps the straightest cue I've owned. Rick knows how to build a cue.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

spliced

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your cheapest route might be to just have someone change the joint screw on your AE cue to a 3/8x11 and have someone build a screw in extension for the AE

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why not just get a regular shaft made for the AE? Cheaper than a new butt made for your shafts. Although if you like the shafts and don't care about the extra cost it does not matter which way you go.

Alex Kanapilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why not just get a regular shaft made for the AE? Cheaper than a new butt made for your shafts. Although if you like the shafts and don't care about the extra cost it does not matter which way you go.

I have the shaft that the AE came with. Don't like it as much as the southwest shafts.

Honestly though, I've never tried a southwest shaft on another butt, I'm just assuming that most of the playability is in the shaft.

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...snip snip...
I tried the LD shaft thing for a few months and just recently abandoned it to go back to my southwest... snip snip...I never did fully get used to parallel shifting to aim vs. pivoting with back hand english (I think that's what I do).

... snip...

Since you mentioned it, I am curious. Where did you get the idea that you needed to change to a parallel shift as opposed to back hand when playing with a low deflection shaft.

I've never heard or experienced that.

As far as I know (which isn't too far to be fair), your mechanics shouldn't have to change when using a LD shaft. Maybe the pivot point, but that would differ from shaft to shaft regardless of LD or non LD.

Just curious.

Alex Kanapilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your cheapest route might be to just have someone change the joint screw on your AE cue to a 3/8x11 and have someone build a screw in extension for the AE

Didn't know that was an option. I guess I'll check with Ernie to see if he does that kind of work. Thanks.

Alex Kanapilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since you mentioned it, I am curious. Where did you get the idea that you needed to change to a parallel shift as opposed to back hand when playing with a low deflection shaft.

I've never heard or experienced that.

As far as I know (which isn't too far to be fair), your mechanics shouldn't have to change when using a LD shaft. Maybe the pivot point, but that would differ from shaft to shaft regardless of LD or non LD.

Just curious.

I was just pivoting for a couple of months but I just tried to pivot less than with a regular shaft I guess. Then one day I was complaining about the trouble I was having to local players that are friends of mine and they told me to just try aiming at the shot with center ball, then move the whole cue over parallel to the original aim point to see if that worked. I tried that with limited success but it felt completely unnatural to me.

Last week I got frustrated and pulled out my old southwest and after about 10 minutes was much more comfortable aiming the way I had been for the past 28 years.

I'm sure the problem is with me and not LD shafts (everyone else seems to play with them just fine), I'm just not interested in fooling around with it anymore.

Last edited:

Alex Kanapilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes I know, but he will also use any pin you ask for, or at least that's been my experience with him. I would bet he'll accommodate

I guess I can ask him but when I approached him to do the wrap I asked about some other things I wanted to try and he didn't seem interested so I just figured he didn't want to deviate too much from what he normally does.

BTW, he does the best linen wraps I've ever seen.

I'm attaching a couple pics of the AE butt that I'm talking about in case anyone is curious.

AE-1.jpg

AE-2.jpg