What's a room to do? (Video) Words of wisdom from a pool room owner

POVPOOL

POV Pool
Silver Member
I went to Stiix Billiards to interview Jerry Matchin aka 'Baby Huey' and here's what came out of it.

In the coming weeks I will have other, unrelated pool stories and wisdoms from Jerry to show you. In the meantime, please enjoy this video and leave us a comment both, here and on YouTube, if you will.

Send Jerry Matchin a message at: https://www.facebook.com/StiixBilliards

Watch the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9IL1d9IpFY

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
sounds like you were asking him questions from inside a tunnel. real hard to understand them. maybe just me. are your ppv videos like that. ive never bought one.
sorry but you asked for comments. and i hope it was constructive and not personal.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I went to Stiix Billiards to interview Jerry Matchin aka 'Baby Huey' and here's what came out of it.

In the coming weeks I will have other, unrelated pool stories and wisdoms from Jerry to show you. In the meantime, please enjoy this video and leave us a comment both, here and on YouTube, if you will.

Send Jerry Matchin a message at: https://www.facebook.com/StiixBilliards

Watch the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9IL1d9IpFY

That was a very positive, useful message. Thanks for making the video and posting.

POVPOOL

POV Pool
Silver Member
The audio was done that way on purpose. I do it this way so that the viewer can focus less on me and more on the subject. By the way, I don't do PPV's anymore. I prefer to promote pool, not MILK it.

Last edited:

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is nice to hear concerns for your customers. I hope other room owners take your suggestion about it being a good opportunity to make any improvements now during the shutdown.

I hope your customers appreciate what you mean to them.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
He's going to be a survivor because he runs a really nice operation and has dedicated customers. It was a good idea to do this Daniel, gives us a good idea of what pool room owners are facing.

Last edited:

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Great advice.

I hope there is a video like this from WPA about pro pool players and pool promoters.

Crisis either bring people together, or pull them apart.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The audio was done that way on purpose. I do it this way so that the viewer can focus less on me and more on the subject. By the way, I don't do PPV's anymore. I prefer to promote pool, not MILK it.

hi danny and thanks for *another* great vid-
I like your idea of using audio to differentiate the documentarian from the subject
but agree that the audio is still a bit muffled, and difficult to hear
maybe you could still keep that difference in sound
but clear it up a bit, so both audio tracks are at the same level?
I like where you black out the screen for your questions, and let each one breathe..
in that moment, how about having the question written out at the bottom as you ask it?

thanks again for the vid- best wishes to you and jerry/stiix!

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
hi danny and thanks for *another* great vid-
I like your idea of using audio to differentiate the documentarian from the subject
but agree that the audio is still a bit muffled, and difficult to hear
maybe you could still keep that difference in sound
but clear it up a bit, so both audio tracks are at the same level?
I like where you black out the screen for your questions, and let each one breathe..
in that moment, how about having the question written out at the bottom as you ask it?

thanks again for the vid- best wishes to you and jerry/stiix!

To save time, just hand write the questions and show while filming. It looks more authentic then risk colors overlapping or adding a text background.

Its a time drain all the post production.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
It doesn't sound like California is going to reopen pool halls anytime soon based on the San Luis Obispo County briefing today. Ventura County will have to fight for it, probably no chance. California will make an announcement Thursday for regulations in effect Friday. They will continue to be strict, curb side pick up for stores, no in restaurant dining, no salons, etc.

Last edited:

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Daniel saw your videos yesterday while couch surfing. This needed to be addressed for all. Your questions/interview/videos were excellent as usual.

Was nice to see pool room owner Jerry aka 'Baby Huey' speak about how he and his wife have handled shutdown, the 'opening' and how it will effect owners as well as patrons.

Jerry is a very intelligent, thoughtful businessman/pool lover and fortunate for his wise choice of professions when he was young.

Concerned about our smallish local room/bar where I play. Rent is not cheap. Don't know how long they can hold and if we come back how they will make $$$ with distancing guidelines. Hope they can make it they are wonderful owners with a nice room much like Jerry.

Say hey to Geraldine for me...and take care of yourselves. We will get through this.

Blessings,
-Kat,

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice to hear a thoughtful response to intelligent questions. Like to shake his hand...even though we can’t.

My wife is an RN for decades. She has no answers at this time. Best to use the proverbial common sense. Listen to health professionals instead of anecdotal advice from friends...we tend to just reinforce what we want to hear.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Good interview. Thanks for sharing it.

Jerry is obviously an asset to pool and he cares about his customers. He is resigned to the economic realities of the moment, but is wisely using some of his time to improve his place of business and to engage in some strategic planning for the future (such as reconsideration of how he'll buy his supplies).

On another level, though, Jerry is like every other small business owner, looking for the green light to re-open and thinking about how to receive and renew relationships with his customers.

Wishing Jerry and all at Stix Billiards better times ahead.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Before today we were anticipating opening with a 50 to 25 percent capacity.

Under the New York plan today they are opening non-essential businesses in phases starting 5/16. 4 phases, every 2 weeks they advance if numbers support it. Pool hall is a phase 4 business. So instead of opening the room on 5/16 it will be no sooner than the end of June. Closed 15 weeks!

For that I get 5300 in grant money not counting payroll protection to give my people on unemployment more money. I'm not going to pay over 3 days a week and knock them out of 800 a week unemployment.

Will pay 3 or 4 months rent, utilities and insurances while making zero dollars. That's all about a 30k swing. Brutal.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Before today we were anticipating opening with a 50 to 25 percent capacity.

Under the New York plan today they are opening non-essential businesses in phases starting 5/16. 4 phases, every 2 weeks they advance if numbers support it. Pool hall is a phase 4 business. So instead of opening the room on 5/16 it will be no sooner than the end of June. Closed 15 weeks!

For that I get 5300 in grant money not counting payroll protection to give my people on unemployment more money. I'm not going to pay over 3 days a week and knock them out of 800 a week unemployment.

Will pay 3 or 4 months rent, utilities and insurances while making zero dollars. That's all about a 30k swing. Brutal.

Is here any chance you will just close the business and reopen as a different entity?

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
if you rent a house to live in you need to pay rent as you are fulfilling your agreement with the landlord.

with a commercial building the landlord is not fulfilling his end which is to provide you with a store that you can operate out of. so in this case the landlord should suspend rent or at least come to an agreement with their tenant. and i am a landlord.
this is a natural disaster. say a tornado wiped out your store. the landlord cant expect to get rent until he rebuilds for you.
and why would he want to lose you as a tenant as it would take him a few months or more to re rent it.
unless you have some great cheap long term lease that the landlord wants out of. then you need to keep paying rent so as to not break it. and your fault for not including in the lease a clause to cover things like this.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if you rent a house to live in you need to pay rent as you are fulfilling your agreement with the landlord.

with a commercial building the landlord is not fulfilling his end which is to provide you with a store that you can operate out of. so in this case the landlord should suspend rent or at least come to an agreement with their tenant. and i am a landlord.
this is a natural disaster. say a tornado wiped out your store. the landlord cant expect to get rent until he rebuilds for you.
and why would he want to lose you as a tenant as it would take him a few months or more to re rent it.
unless you have some great cheap long term lease that the landlord wants out of. then you need to keep paying rent so as to not break it. and your fault for not including in the lease a clause to cover things like this.

I could pay rent for 6 more months ... Wouldn't want to though. I built the room knowing how many don't make it. We did all the work ourselves and my original equipment was bought for peanuts when the original Salt City Billiards closed due to fire

80 percent of April and May rent were covered0 by government disaster and PPP grants. Come June I'm gonna take my landlord up on his offer to delay payment. Lord knows, but if the late June opening gets delayed ito July I'm going to ask that those 2 months come out of my deposit. I laid down 5 months rent deposit because I'd never owner a business. He was impressed and it helped my rent negotiations. I've been there 3 years on a 5 year gauranteed renewal lease. Taking 2 months of my deposit would be reasonable. I've paid on time every month and tremendously improved his rental space that was an armpit 3 years ago.