Blind ass luck PATS don't get none today

corvette1340

www.EpawnMarket.com
Silver Member
thebigdog said:
They were good when he was 0-3 in the playoffs. They had Marvin Harrison and Edgerrin James and Peyton Manning all those years. As for the year he did win the Super Bowl, Rex Grossman had just as much to do with it as Peyton.
Remember the year he choked against the Steelers when they were supposed to be one of the greatest teams of all time? How about a couple of weeks ago losing to the Chargers minus Rivers, L.T, and Gates at home? The Colts have had the best talent in the league for most of the last decade, it is totally ridulous that they only have 1 title. The window of oppurtunity is closing on them.

lol, the Colts defense through the majority of Peyton's career has been absolutely horrible. Their offense has had to outscore the other team to have a chance. As for talent, they have had Harrison, Edgerrin (now Addai) and for the last few years Reggie Wayne. Freeney and Sanders can be seen as stars on the defense, but as far as talent goes, the Colts aren't anywhere near the top. Without Peyton, they would be average at best. The NFL is the toughest league in the world in any sport, where the worst team is capable of beating the best team on a given day. The playoffs are a microcosm of the entire season with the best teams in the league playing a sudden death format. Of course the better team is going to lose sometimes. I guess you consider Trent Dilfer better than Dan Marino since he won a Super Bowl. The bottom line is this: Eli played good on 2 drives and played well in the playoffs. He had a prayer answered by David Tyree. He isn't half the quarterback that Peyton is.

Rick S.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The patriots have had there fair share of calls. Dating back to the AFC Championship game....remember the 'tuck' rule' against the Raiders?

They were dead in the water up until that call. Then, they go on to win the superbowl.

That's when it all started.......

I'm glad the Giants won.

Rick S.

catscradle

<< 2 all-time greats
Silver Member
corvette1340 said:
.... The NFL is the toughest league in the world in any sport, where the worst team is capable of beating the best team on a given day....

You might want to take a look at some of the world's soccer league, leagues like the English Premier League. The worse Team in div 1 gets relegated each year and the top team in the 2nd division moves up, every game is important. The games are generally decided by 1 or 2 goals. I think it more likely in soccer (or as they insist, football) for the last place team to upset the first place team. Not going to happen a lot, but more often than football.

BTW, I think it would be really cool if football did the same thing, that is relegation and promotion, as soccer. Then those last place teams would have a reason to play hard instead of hoping for the 1st round draft pick.

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
corvette1340 said:
lol, the Colts defense through the majority of Peyton's career has been absolutely horrible.

Vette-man,
You are correct; that bigdog must not watch much football.

As a Colts fan I can tell you that they have NEVER had the "best team in the league". Their defense has been BAD (not just mediocre; always in the bottom 5 for most of each season). Last year (Super Bowl year), it was the WORST DEFENSE IN HISTORY.

I like Eli, but he was throwing up wounded ducks in the 4th quarter; that might happen to Peyton once a decade. No comparison between those 2 quarterbacks.

stikapos

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For those Gints fans who had to endure the 1970 season, I'm happy that they received redemption. But to say that the Pats were less than spectacular this year is just insane. It look a super human effort and the most memorable catch in SB history by the Gints to beat them by 3 points.

tim

thebigdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
corvette1340 said:
lol, the Colts defense through the majority of Peyton's career has been absolutely horrible. Their offense has had to outscore the other team to have a chance. As for talent, they have had Harrison, Edgerrin (now Addai) and for the last few years Reggie Wayne. Freeney and Sanders can be seen as stars on the defense, but as far as talent goes, the Colts aren't anywhere near the top. Without Peyton, they would be average at best. The NFL is the toughest league in the world in any sport, where the worst team is capable of beating the best team on a given day. The playoffs are a microcosm of the entire season with the best teams in the league playing a sudden death format. Of course the better team is going to lose sometimes. I guess you consider Trent Dilfer better than Dan Marino since he won a Super Bowl. The bottom line is this: Eli played good on 2 drives and played well in the playoffs. He had a prayer answered by David Tyree. He isn't half the quarterback that Peyton is.

I guess you forgot all about those home playoff games where he tanked. How about the year that they played the Jets and got blown out 41-0, Peyton even got called out by the kicker for his lack of leadership. The next year he threw 4 int's in the loss to the Patriots. How about the year against the Steelers when the Colts went 14-2 in the regular season. Peyton played like crap for the first 3 quarters of the game and the Colts lost another playoff game on their home field. How about this year when they lost to the Chargers minus their best players on their home field. Again Peyton did not step up. You're right Peyton has one a Super Bowl, but he should have won about 3 by now.
As far as not having help, Freeney didn't just get there yeserday, he's been there since 2002. Reggie Wayne has been there since 2001, and Harrison has been there the whole time. He has also had either Marshall Faulk, Edgerrin James, or Joesph Addai his whole career. Marino never had any running backs close to their caliber. He has also been fortunate enough to have the same offensive coordinator his whole career. How many guys have ever had that situation? Bottom line, he has lost too many big games. I didn't even touch his college record.

catscradle

<< 2 all-time greats
Silver Member
DrJ said:
You can't win without a kicker...the Pats went for a 4th and 13 rather than going for a 49yd FG...unless their kicker was injured, either the Pats had no confidence in him or they just didn't give the guy a chance....
No confidence and he has earned that distinction.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
read the post again

Deadpoked,

You posted quite a bit in that other thread after extending the so called olive branch. You have also read a lot into the post you just replied to here that wasn't there. There are hundreds of active posters on this forum. Of those hundreds there are maybe a dozen that I try to read every word they write for one reason or another. There are also quite a few with a full set of rep points and hundreds of posts or more that I never notice exist until they happen to get in a discussion with me.

You weren't and aren't a significant factor to me here. That isn't a slight, simply a fact. Over a thousand people have visited this forum today by noon. How many do you know by name? I truly didn't connect your post in a football thread with the smoking thread. If you think it is vile, full of animosity and obvious disdain to tell you that my world doesn't revolve around you perhaps you are the one with a problem.

I have casual encounters with many hundreds of people a year on various forums covering a wide range of subjects. Unless someone particularly impresses me for some reason they are just the same as a face in a crowd. I'm not foolish enough to think that everyone I talk to remembers me either and I certainly don't feel slighted if they don't.

Hu

DeadPoked said:
Hu I extended the olive branch to you in the Smoking thread by saying thank you for the spirited debate and to have a great week. I remained civil after our discourse.

I thought it would be quite apparent that the above post was said in jest, but you came back with this vile post which is filled with nothing but animosity and obvious disdain for me. I won't even begin to debate your "facts" because that would obviously falls on deaf ears.

Please don't get me confused though. I will call someone out if I think they are saying and/or doing the wrong things on this forum. As it should be done by everyone. I just don't understand you launching into your tirade for my post quoted above.

Maybe you are having a bad week. Hope things start looking up for you, Sir. :)

DGunter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Disagree...each team mate is responsible for their own play and the integration of those teammates is what makes a team. How exactly is a qb suppose to inspire his defense to not cough up 41 pts? How exactly is a qb suppose to lead his receivers into not dropping balls? Peyton shoulders the blame for throwing 4 ints against the Pats. Peyton shoulders the blame for two ints and incompletions that can be reasonably considered to be his fault. All that "stepping up and leading" stuff is alot of ESPN babble that has no purpose other than getting people wanting to read and article in my opinion. Of course to each his own.

Hail Mary Shot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sounds kinda bizzarre, but do you know that most of the PAT's wins and tie-to-win came from a FG kick, including the ones that counted the most? I believe the FG kick was intrumental to the PAT's 2 SUPERBOWL titles, the one that I remembered was the one against the RAMS with Marshall Faulk in their lineup. a tied score that was decided by a FG kick by the PATS in the remaining 2 secs.

jimmy-leggs

A GREAT DAY
Silver Member
I knew that PATS were going to lose when it was 4th and 14........AND THEY WENT FOR IT.LOLOL.BONEHEAD MOVE.:eek:

thebigdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Williebetmore said:
Vette-man,
You are correct; that bigdog must not watch much football.

As a Colts fan I can tell you that they have NEVER had the "best team in the league". Their defense has been BAD (not just mediocre; always in the bottom 5 for most of each season). Last year (Super Bowl year), it was the WORST DEFENSE IN HISTORY.

I like Eli, but he was throwing up wounded ducks in the 4th quarter; that might happen to Peyton once a decade. No comparison between those 2 quarterbacks.

So you are saying they didn't have the best team in 2005? The year they went 14-2 and much of the year they were being compared to the best teams of all time like the Pats this year? How about last year, they weren't the best last year either? I know what you are saying about their defense, but there defense was not bad in the playoffs last year, they were actually very good in the post season. I don't know about you, but that looks like they had the best team in the league 2 of the last 3 years right there. This year they had a lot of injuries, had they not had all the injuries they would have had the most talent in the NFL again. I don't know why, as a Colt fan, you don't admit this. Bottom line, Peyton is 7-7 in his post season career, he has had some terrific talent around him but has had some miserable playoff performances. His brother has stepped up and played better in the big games.
I do believe Peyton has much more talent than any other QB in the league. He also has the benefit of only having one offensvie coordinator his whole career, which is totallly unheard of. He has also had Marvin Harrison his whole career, and Reggie Wayne since 2001. His has some excellent TE's as well. He also had Marshall Faulk, Edgerrin James, and Joesph Addai in the backfield. Not to mention he has always had an outstanding O-line and has rarely been sacked thru his career. All these factors should have equated to more than one Super Bowl by now. Peyton and Harrison aren't getting any younger and they've blown some great chances up to this point, I don't know how many more chances they will have.

corvette1340

www.EpawnMarket.com
Silver Member
thebigdog said:
So you are saying they didn't have the best team in 2005? The year they went 14-2 and much of the year they were being compared to the best teams of all time like the Pats this year? How about last year, they weren't the best last year either? I know what you are saying about their defense, but there defense was not bad in the playoffs last year, they were actually very good in the post season. I don't know about you, but that looks like they had the best team in the league 2 of the last 3 years right there. This year they had a lot of injuries, had they not had all the injuries they would have had the most talent in the NFL again. I don't know why, as a Colt fan, you don't admit this. Bottom line, Peyton is 7-7 in his post season career, he has had some terrific talent around him but has had some miserable playoff performances. His brother has stepped up and played better in the big games.
I do believe Peyton has much more talent than any other QB in the league. He also has the benefit of only having one offensvie coordinator his whole career, which is totallly unheard of. He has also had Marvin Harrison his whole career, and Reggie Wayne since 2001. His has some excellent TE's as well. He also had Marshall Faulk, Edgerrin James, and Joesph Addai in the backfield. Not to mention he has always had an outstanding O-line and has rarely been sacked thru his career. All these factors should have equated to more than one Super Bowl by now. Peyton and Harrison aren't getting any younger and they've blown some great chances up to this point, I don't know how many more chances they will have.

So, Indy supposedly had the best team 2 of the last 3 years, correct? In one of those years they lost to the ultimate Super Bowl champion and the other they won the Super Bowl. New England had the best team this year and they didn't win it. I think San Diego had the best team last year and they didn't win it. The Rams had the best team for 3 years straight in the early part of the decade and they won it once. The playoffs are filled with good teams and parity. The fact that Indy won it once in the two years you say they were the best is pretty damn good, and mostly was because of Peyton.