Pool Wars

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
The answer is: "Yes"

The type of book you describe sounds pretty damn good. Just to be safe though, maybe you should toss out a chapter of it here to get some feedback! :)

Sounds like a good idea. Stay tuned.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Okay, you asked for it! The following is the first half of the Introduction that I wrote a few years ago. Let me know what you think.

INTRODUCTION

"Over forty years ago, on a warm Summer day, I wandered by a pool room in downtown Dayton, Ohio. It was called The Red, White and Blue Recreation. From a second story window the soft sound of pool balls clicking together drifted down to the street below. The sound was mesmerizing and I crept up the stairs to get a peek at what was going on inside.

At the top of the stairs I entered a large dimly lit room, filled with pool tables. Around several of the tables, men moved about, occasionally leaning over to take a shot. By the front window a crowd had gathered, nearly surrounding one of the tables. I moved closer to get a better look.

Finding no way to see over the people, I climbed onto the nearby window sill. No one seemed to notice the young boy perched precariously in the open window two floors above the street. All eyes were riveted on the action in front of them.

I remember the game as vividly as if it were yesterday. The man shooting would walk around the table looking at the balls, then lean over and shoot a ball into the pocket. The cue ball would roll around the table, finally coming to a stop. Soon I became aware that he was causing the cue ball to move to an area of the table, from where he could make his next shot. I was totally fascinated when I realized what he was doing.

He was shooting the balls in numerical order, and when he made the final ball, he began to gather the balls from the pockets and throw them down to the end of the table. As his opponent put the balls together in the rack, the man reached up with his cue and moved a bead on the wire above the table.

I was watching my first money game. Little did I know how many games I would watch (and play) over the next four decades. And how many great pool players I would see ply their art. What I did know, even then, was that I wanted to learn how to play this game, so that I could make the cue ball roll where I wanted it to go. Forty some years later, I'm still trying to figure out how to do that."

The above is the first half of the Introduction to my new book. I'll show you the other half after I get some feedback on this part.

Last edited:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
What I like about your style is that you write as if you're telling a story. I can almost picture you standing in my living room with your arms motioning around as you tell my buddies and I the way things went down. I've never liked authors who don't write as they speak (if that makes sense).

I like your style Jay. You definitely paint a picture well.

Dave

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Okay, you asked for it! The following is the first half of the Introduction that I wrote a few years ago. Let me know what you think.

INTRODUCTION

"Over forty years ago, on a warm Summer day, I wandered by a pool room in downtown Dayton, Ohio. It was called The Red, White and Blue Recreation. From a second story window the soft sound of pool balls clicking together drifted down to the street below. The sound was mesmerizing and I crept up the stairs to get a peek at what was going on inside.

At the top of the stairs I entered a large dimly lit room, filled with pool tables. Around several of the tables, men moved about, occasionally leaning over to take a shot. By the front window a crowd had gathered, nearly surrounding one of the tables. I moved closer to get a better look.

Finding no way to see over the people, I climbed onto the nearby window sill. No one seemed to notice the young boy perched precariously in the open window two floors above the street. All eyes were riveted on the action in front of them.

I remember the game as vividly as if it were yesterday. The man shooting would walk around the table looking at the balls, then lean over and shoot a ball into the pocket. The cue ball would roll around the table, finally coming to a stop. Soon I became aware that he was causing the cue ball to move to an area of the table, from where he could make his next shot. I was totally fascinated when I realized what he was doing.

He was shooting the balls in numerical order, and when he made the final ball, he began to gather the balls from the pockets and throw them down to the end of the table. As his opponent put the balls together in the rack, the man reached up with his cue and moved a bead on the wire above the table.

I was watching my first money game. Little did I know how many games I would watch (and play) over the next four decades. And how many great pool players I would see ply their art. What I did know, even then, was that I wanted to learn how to play this game, so that I could make the cue ball roll where I wanted it to go. Forty some years later, I'm still trying to figure out how to do that."

The above is the first half of the Introduction to my new book. I'll show you the other half after I get some feedback on this part.

Beautiful Jay- Only one sentence I m not crazy about- "The sound was mesmerizing and I crept up the stairs to get a peek at what was going on"
I Like something like . The mesmerizing sound of the balls drew me upstairs. I had to get a peek at what was going on"

Anyway beside that which im probably wrong on, it looks like a fabulous book and consider my order in.

Thanks Jay

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Beautiful Jay- Only one sentence I m not crazy about- "The sound was mesmerizing and I crept up the stairs to get a peek at what was going on"
I Like something like . The mesmerizing sound of the balls drew me upstairs. I had to get a peek at what was going on"

Anyway beside that which im probably wrong on, it looks like a fabulous book and consider my order in.

Thanks Jay

Consider yourself my new editor! :thumbup:

mdavis228

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm down for whatever book you write, Jay. Loved "Pool Wars". Especially like the idea you have of a book full of battle tested instructions, tips, tricks.
Give momma & the baby kisses... and get busy;)

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
And here's the second part of the Introduction, where I get into what the books is about.

"What I have learned in the interim is that we are all students of the game, constantly learning something new to make us better players. What I'm about to share with you is what I've learned in forty years as an observer, player, coach, mentor and confidant to pool players.

Before I tell what this book is about, I will tell you what it is not about. This is not the typical instruction manual that tells you how to hold a cue, place your feet and stroke the ball. There are already many good books out there that do this. I may slip in some instructional material here and there, but I begin with the premise that you already know how to play pool.

My purpose is to help you refine your game and show you some powerful ways to be a better player. It's my feeling that there is no one right way to hold a cue or stroke the balls. There are as many different styles as there are pool players. I take exception with those who propose to know the correct way to stand, stroke and play the game.

Pool players come in all shapes and sizes, and your game must be molded to fit you. This starts with the selection of your cue stick. An excellent cue for me may not be a good cue for you, because of our different physical stature. I'm relatively short (5'7"), so a 57" cue feels about right for me. If you're a six footer, you'll probably be more comfortable with a 58" cue. My hands are small, so I like a narrow grip. If you have large hands, a thicker butt may suit you better. Same goes for weight, taper and so on. The "right" cue is the one that feels right for you, not one that is identical to what some top player uses.

This book is also not some airy-fairy, rah-rah pep talk designed to motivate you to play better. You will have to motivate yourself, because without self motivation anything I say won't make any difference. What I will do is share with you some insights on how I've been able to motivate myself. The rest is up to you.

What this book is about is truths of the game that I've learned over the years. Tried and true techniques, methods and actions that will work for you, just as they have for countless others. All you need to do is read and heed. I promise you that you will come out the back of this book a little more knowledgeable about pool than you were going in."

Last edited:

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And here's the second part of the Introduction, where I get into what the books is about.

"What I have learned in the interim is that we are all students of the game, constantly learning something new to make us better players. What I'm about to share with you is what I've learned in forty years as an observer, player, coach, mentor and confidant to pool players.

Before I tell what this book is about, I will tell you what it is not about. This is not the typical instruction manual that tells you how to hold a cue, place your feet and stroke the ball. There are already many good books out there that do this. I may slip in some instructional material here and there, but I begin with the premise that you already know how to play pool.

My purpose is to help you refine your game and show you some powerful ways to be a better player. It's my feeling that there is no one right way to hold a cue or stroke the balls. There are as many different styles as there are pool players. I take exception with those who propose to know the correct way to stand, stroke and play the game.

Pool players come in all shapes and sizes, and your game must be molded to fit you. This starts with the selection of your cue stick. An excellent cue for me may not be a good cue for you, because of our different physical stature. I'm relatively short (5'7"), so a 57" cue feels about right for me. If you're a six footer, you'll probably be more comfortable with a 58" cue. My hands are small, so I like a narrow grip. If you have large hands, a thicker butt may suit you better. Same goes for weight, taper and so on. The "right" cue is the one that feels right for you, not one that is identical to what some top player uses.

This book is also not some airy-fairy, rah-rah pep talk designed to motivate you to play better. You will have to motivate yourself, because without self motivation anything I say won't make any difference. What I will do is share with you some insights on how I've been able to motivate myself. The rest is up to you.

What this book is about is truths of the game that I've learned over the years. Tried and true techniques, methods and actions that will work for you, just as they have for countless others. All you need to do is read and heed. I promise you that you will come out the back of this book a little more knowledgeable about pool than you were going in."

No editing here-Excellent!

LynnStratton

Registered
I just read the first part of the best pool book EVER

I can't help but write after reading some of these comments about pool books on this site. Bobby Cotton sent me the first five chapters of his book and I can't believe how I got caught up in it. I could NOT stop reading. I remember so many of the people he talks about from the Chicago area and there are other parts where he describes situations he found himself in that made me wonder how he's still alive today! I was on the road a few times with players of lesser renown than Bobby and it was no picnic, but it was always interesting, sometimes funny and sometimes scary--just like this book. Reading those chapters made me want to read the rest of the book and I can't WAIT to keep on. It's exciting and funny--I was laughing out loud--and I'm really glad he wrote it because it needed to be done. If you get a chance, pick it up when it comes out and if you're like me, you'll get a kick out of remembering people in the book and remembering some of the action. Big time fun reading.

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jay

I travelled with Robert Leblanc in Chicago years ago. But he never let ANYBODY call him Bob or Bobby. Only Robert. He also went by 'Charlie Wade'. We hit every pool table there was whenever he came to town. His bar game was incredible. He didn't play the big tables because he didn't want people to know how good he was. But his big table game was awesome, too. I know. I did more racking than shooting when we practiced. The man could play pool. Great pool.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Write on!

That would be one hell of a book, "Cotton" is a good friend of mine and heard some of his road stories, some pool, and some other spots he was in over the years, man what a book that would be. with Cottons tails and Jays writing that would be amazing.

Been a pool player most of my life - Been a bookworm even longer.
Got to have this book - i can't help it - bring it on!

Loved POOL WARS.We are from the same era,i was in most of the places
mentioned in the book.
Knew Blackie from the 7-11.Walked into Ye Olde Den and he was getting
the 8 from Ed Kelly (broke even). We smiled at each other 'cause it was official - We were bonifide coast to coast ROAD PLAYERS.
Thanx for the memories

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just to set the record straight. Bobby "Cotton" Leblanc is writing this book on his own. I'm not involved in any way and I don't know who is helping him with it. I wish him luck as he will discover it is no easy task to write, to publish and to market a new book.

12310bch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
old dog , new tricks

I literally have a file full of notes. I had no way to organize it all. Now I have a better idea how to accomplish this. Does this sound like something you'd be interested in reading? I sure hope so because it may take me another year to complete it.

Jay,at 67, after 50 years playing pool, my basics , for better or for worse, are pretty much cast in concrete. What I want is what you describe. Tips, secrets, the ," Inner Game," as it has been put. But , dammit , I don't want to wait a year, so get your ass in gear. I need it now! :help:

LynnStratton

Registered
Bobby/Robert/Charlie lived with my cousin for nearly four years after I introduced them in 1975, and I've spent a lot of time with him. Never saw him spit on the floor or do any of those things you've mentioned!! Maybe you affected him badly! LOL I had to laugh when I read that. And he never did ask me to call him one thing or another; actually I call him Robert most of the time, but Bobby Cotton is what the girls used to call him, because of his hair I believe. You really should check his book out, which gives a little more insight than the remarks you've been making.

tomgearhart

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jay...I am in for at least three books. But, please start now so we don't have to wait a year to read it, okay?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bobby/Robert/Charlie lived with my cousin for nearly four years after I introduced them in 1975, and I've spent a lot of time with him. Never saw him spit on the floor or do any of those things you've mentioned!! Maybe you affected him badly! LOL I had to laugh when I read that. And he never did ask me to call him one thing or another; actually I call him Robert most of the time, but Bobby Cotton is what the girls used to call him, because of his hair I believe. You really should check his book out, which gives a little more insight than the remarks you've been making.

Robert LeBlanc is his correct name. We have been calling him "Cotton" forever. He always had white hair, even in his 20's. Bobby could be aggressive if the situation called for it, but even then he would do it in a polite way. Most of the time.:rolleyes:

Bobby was a pool hustler and being timid is not part of the job description. Number one you had to attract attention and number two you often needed to intimidate your opponent a little. Shrinking violets need not apply for this position. When I think back on some of the things I said and did back then, I wonder how I pulled it off. I guess I had a lot of confidence in myself at that time. I could play and I was armed. Sorry if that offends anyone but it's the truth.

Bobby and I played a couple of times. I finally got to play some Banks with him at Fatboy's house. Fatboy was raving about how good Bobby played Banks. Have a nice day! That's all I have to say. :wink:

Last edited: