Why do you want to improve?

PocketPooler

Silver Member
I just enjoy the satisfaction in working hard and doing my best. Even the best in the world cant win all of 'em so i do not consume myself with unrealistic goals. I think you're on the right track in finding what ii is that makes you tick. From there, the rest should fall into place.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Why do you want to be better?
The reward of better performance. The satisfaction of taking it to a higher level. To impress myself that I can still learn and improve.The thrill of running balls, making that certain shot, winning that game or match..... Simply just to be a better player. Pool is a skill. A beautiful game when played right. Like anything else in life...the more you know the more you can do. I don't understand why anyone would not want to improve unless they are ball bangers.

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i havent read anyone elses responce....:eek:
but my reason to improve is
ANYTHING WORTH DOING IS WORTH DOING WELL....:)

That is very true Larry..But we've all seen hundreds of people, who have loved the game of pool all their life..They may work as long and hard as they can at perfecting their game, but they will never become more than a 'B' player..That is why people like Tiger Woods, Jack Nicklaus or Buddy Hall, will always dominate their sport, while only working maybe 1/10th as hard at it.

There is no substitute for the intangibles that comprise God-given talent. Without that, 'normal' people, like us, will hit that invisible wall..So avoid all the needless frustration..Once you reach that wall, just learn to be content with becoming the best player that 'you' can be.

PS..In fact, thats why I quit practicing about 40 yrs. ago! ;)

Last edited:

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ANYTHING WORTH DOING IS WORTH DOING WELL....:)

My sentiments, exactly.

Winning can become a frame of mind, but only after you become a winner. In my 57 years, the winner's circle was always my goal. That took some dedication, but learning was fun & profitable at times.

There are many ways to learn, watching videos, reading books, talking with someone that knows the game or you can find an instructor / coach.

In my opinion, an instructor is needed for the mechanics of the game, the coach is for the strategy & nuances of fine play.

If it's hard work for you, maybe the reward will soothe your pain & discomfort.

rdarling3

Registered
Far Too Long Of An Answer To A Straight Forward Question

This is a very difficult question to answer, and would require a book or ten to really delve into it deeply. It is my opinion that humans are ultimately social beings, and one's place in a social setting is based on many factors which can be complex and even at odds with one another. We like and want to spend time with people who have like-minded pursuits and skills similar to ours, and in this way, it is our similarities that aid in social cohesion. On the other hand, we are competitive by nature(some more than others), and contests and play are often used in order to figure out one's place in the hierarchy of your particular tribe. On top of all of this, humans are inquisitive and enjoy problem-solving and learning in varied disciplines which aids in social cohesion by our individual differences combining to make the group as a whole better off through division of labor according to competency.

So, I've attempted to establish that we want to fit in with people through similarities, yet we try to set ourselves apart from people through competition and differentiation of core competencies. Both are good, for the society as a whole and both are intrinsically hard-wired into our system as a result of much natural selection. Pool is something that can do quite well in both areas of pursuit. It is a forum for competition on the highest level, and an area where one's improvements will set them apart from their opponents which fosters the latter motivation. At the same time, we have placed ourselves within a community within our greater society of like-minded pool players, of whom which we want to fit in.

It takes very little improvement to fit in with the unwashed masses of the pool community, however, it requires a consistent level of improvement to set one's self apart with in-game skills alone. In order to fit in, we need to have a general love for the game, similarly to others like you. This love can manifest itself in many ways, but there is an etiquette about how you handle yourself that one must adhere to, or risk becoming an outcast. There are socially lubricative times where fellowship and camaraderie are far more important than skill improvement and competitive drive in where you stand in the group. In this way, we give and take from the pool community our personalities and time and share in the revelry and disbelief of the balls in their sometimes maddening paths to end up in the pockets. Fitting in necessitates, being first and foremost a friend to your fellow comarade and enjoying the setting and game itself. This provides much of the why I play pool, and one can garner quite a bit of respect in the pool community by how you handle yourself, and how you treat your fellow pool player. That type of respect only goes so far.

However, the other side of the coin, is differentiation. Respect in this vane comes from what kinds of skills and knowledge do you bring to the community. It comes from who you have beaten and what tournaments in which you have won or placed. It comes from what sets you apart from others. You can repair cues, or tables, or make cases, or many other periphery associated activities within the pool playing community, and earn respect through that sort of differentiation. You can pass knowledge along to others by being an instructor or a mentor for players looking to improve... And last but not least, you can improve your game and put your hat into the ring and battle it out, with respect and accomplishment being on the line even more importantly than the dollars in play. It is this last reason why we want to improve for its social implications. We want respect for pool-playing ability, on top of the other things we bring to the table. We want respect for the trajectory of our games. We want the accolades and acknowledgement from our friends and foes for what sets our games apart from others and for what we have accomplished. We want to succeed and be valuable members of this society. Improving your game, contributing in various way other than play, and being a good steward/ambassador for the game will all make your time in the pool community very rewarding and being social beings, these are core and important motivations for where to put effort into our lives in general.

All of this blathering, doesn't address the last aspect of why one should improve. For whatever reason, pool is fun for us. It allows us to engage our mind, escape our workaday lives, and it is complex enough to spend a lifetime pursuing improvement, and simple enough that a few kids who have never played can spend a good time with one another at the table. Every hour spent improving your game does allow a deeper enjoyment of nuances of the game and a greater knowledge and skill-level which in and of itself carries with it a sense of accomplishment. It also increases the likelihood of verifiable success, also known as winning. However, it also comes with increased expectations that we place on ourselves, which can be a source of frustration and disappointment that can actually rob a player from a lot of the pleasures and fun to be had in the game. Working so much towards improvement and allowing the competitive juices to cloud one's social judgement to the point where you aren't balanced in your pool life, can backfire dramatically.

Improvement in pool is relatively slow and comes in fits and starts and plateaus and valleys. There are imperceptible and marginal increases in a skill here or there that add up to quite large increases in one's game in the long run. We benefit from improvement in so many ways, all documented above, but this is a cautionary tale... because it is only one part of our pool journeys, and that part may or may not be what is most important to your particular situation. That is an individual question, that only you can answer for yourself. I enjoy the game, love the people in the scene, and I am thankful for what it has brought me. Improving is very important at times to me, and enjoying my time at the table and in the community is very important at other times. I want to steadily improve over time until I peak, and then hope to enjoy what I've acquired through the process when my skills begin to fade. I don't want it to feel like work, but nothing worth working for is easy, so balance is the key for me. Improvement and what it takes to make a noticeable jump is very difficult and more difficult as you move further up the ladder or down the learning curve. How much you want to put into it, will greatly decide what you get out of the game. Hopefully in the end it will result in a hell of a lot of great stories and great friends and great times.

Last edited:

boyersj

Indiana VNEA State Champ
Silver Member
I want to thank everyone who has thus far posted. It is fantastic to see the variety of perspectives we have as pool players and our motivations.

I am also one of those overly competitive guys. I have worked hard to get better and have achieved some pretty cool results. I have also allowed a results-oriented emotional reactions to cause myself unnecessary grief. Think back to the superbowl and Cam Newton's reaction. Virtually everyone said he needs to grow up and learn how to act etc. He wasn't trying to be an a-hole, he expected to win the Superbowl. They were being picked by most experts and betting odds had them a 5 point favorite.

I got him. I understood his mindset because I do the same thing. He wasn't satisfied with being in the Superbowl, an accomplishment in itself. He wasn't satisfied with being league MVP. He expected to win the Lombardi. Unfortunately he lost some people's respect by his actions. I also can relate to that.

So this post was the beginning of me trying to fix that. I want to understand myself, and that is a reason why I reached out to fellow pool players. The best way to understand oneself is to observe others with similar tendencies. Many of us struggle with this (I have watched many, many in person other than myself) problem and thought maybe someone else can gain from my desire to address this "demon" (Thanks for the term, Randy G).

Please keep sharing your reasons for improving because I believe that in order for me to truly have success in this game, I need to be able to find the joy in the game and not the results.

Str8PoolMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Because it drives my wife crazy(er)...

But really it is the same reason that I want to get better at anything that interests me -- the sense of accomplishment that comes with improvement.

Like in golf, I can't describe the elation that I felt the first time I broke 100, and then again when I broke 90. I read (or heard) somewhere that 80 or 90% of golfers never break 100. I find this hard to believe because everyone I meet shoots in the high 70's or low 80's. :rolleyes:

Like golf, pool provides a limitless challenge. No matter how many balls you run, you can always run more. And I just love this game. I love the feel and the variety and complexity. It makes me want to be as good as I can be.

Most people who play this game will never run 100 balls (I haven't -- yet). Many can't even run a rack. I may never run 100 balls, or even 50. But I will continue trying as long as I can drag myself up to a pool table. Because the game of pool fills me with joy.