Giving Back To The Game

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
Nobody here will know this man.....a jewelry salesman named Al McGee....
...his customers were stores in small town Ontario....
...so he would come through our town at least twice a year....
...he played snooker at a level far higher than anybody our town had ever seen.

He would play all the kids, ‘cause none of the players would mess with him.
...we’d line up to play him because he always paid for the table time...:)
...finally, I was 17, I pumped in an 80 run on him....my buddies were dancing...:happydance:
....well, Al was just as happy...made me feel like a million dollars....
...he said it took 20 years for some one to do that.

Couple decades later, I’m living in Toronto....Al had retired and moved to Toronto also...
....I went to the room I heard he was playing at....he remembered me...
...patted me on the head like I was still a kid....:)

Great story, PT. Reminds me a bit of the owner of our room when I first started going in at 12. He didn't ignore me like everyone else did. He actually would talk to me and encourage me. One of the most profound things anyone ever told me about pool came from him when I was around 13 or 14. It's one of the quotes in my signature here. His name was Tony Proestos. And come to think of it, yeah... he definitely deserves a shout out for giving back. So, thanks Tony, for everything you did for me and a whole lot of other people as well.

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not sure if these folks were mentioned, but...

Mike Howerton for AZ Billiards
Steve Booth for onepocket.org

And 3 ladies from the Denver area that have or are still currently doing so much for Juniors pool:

Laura Smith
Melissa Little
Samm Diep Vidal

Thanks you to all 3! <3

Dave

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
John Lewis ACS

Givers........hummm. Allot of good names so far.

Red Whaling, McChesney, Sailor from Racine, Varner, Massey, Rempe and one of the great pool room owners, DAN TULL/Olathe KS.

I saw a guy once in the 80's, Woof at Dan Tull till he had enough. Dan agreed on the game and Dan proceeded to shut em up, and beat him outta 20K.

Dans servers and bartenders, many have worked there over a decade, his employees were Great.

Jewett tho is at the top of the heap. I also enjoyed Clyde Baxters events, neat man.

There were also a few cue repair guys, following the players around, and gettin' in the mix.

Last edited:

SC02GTP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gregg Sullivan-Diamond tables and the efforts he puts in the DCC each and every year.

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So many players have made names for themselves in this game. Some locally, some regionally, some nationally, some internationally. And, yes, there are many many more players who played like h*ll but no one's ever heard of, whether by design or by happenstance. But how many people made names for themselves, not by playing ( even though a lot of them could flat out play ), but by what they gave back to the game? Or gave back and were never known for it? I can think of a few who were definitely known. Grady Mathews is one, although he was probably better-known for his play then for what he gave back. But he gave a whole h*ll of a lot back. Joe Burns and Billy Incardona are two others I can think of. And some others. Anyone else anybody can think of? I'm sure there's a bunch. Both known and unknown. But I know this. The game is better off for their efforts. And every one of us benefited from it in some way, shape or form.

I think that Michael Andrus gives back to the game.... he always seems to have great posts, and shares stories and information with others. Tap tap tap.... :wink:

Td