Game That Teaches The Most Skills?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
If you could only practice one pool game (rotation, 8-ball, straight, 1pocket, etc.) but you want to play all of them, which one would you choose to practice?

Which game demands/teaches the most important commonly needed skills?

Which commonly needed skill(s) does it lack?

Which game demands the most unique skills?

pj
chgo

Last edited:

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think 10 ball. It's call shot, an accidental pot can get you in trouble and there are a good number of balls on the table. Around here all money games are 10-ball.

Julian

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
If you could only practice one pool game (rotation, 8-ball, straight, 1pocket, etc.) but you want to play all of them, which one would you choose to practice?

Which game demands/teaches the most important commonly needed skills?

Which commonly needed skill(s) does it lack?

Which game demands the most unique skills?

pj
chgo

9 ball.

The secret to this game is Whitey. 9ball teaches HAVING to play shape on the next ball no matter WHERE it is. You have no option. Imho, no other game ( discounting the other rotation games ) teaches this massively important mind-set.

Others will pounce on this. Regardless, those pounces will be their opinion. This one is mine.

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
9 ball. Why, because I love to ride the cheese and it’s one of the main reasons I play pool. Don’t take that away from me.

Not joking.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
8 ball
Skills: pattern play, safety play, banks, cueball control, breakouts, caroms and combos.
Lacks: Big stroke shots( like in 9ball)
Most unique: one pocket

realkingcobra

Silver Member
None, there is no one game that bridges all the knowledge needed in order to play other games of pool at a top competitive level.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I hope it is obvious to all that one pocket has the widest variety of shots. It requires precise placement of both the object ball(s) and cue ball. There are many shots at one pocket that really don't make any sense at other games. There are many shots that are frequent at one pocket that are played in other games but are rare. One example of a skill that is essential at one pocket as in no other game is precise kicking.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I hope it is obvious to all that one pocket has the widest variety of shots. It requires precise placement of both the object ball(s) and cue ball. There are many shots at one pocket that really don't make any sense at other games. There are many shots that are frequent at one pocket that are played in other games but are rare. One example of a skill that is essential at one pocket as in no other game is precise kicking.

AND....1P teaches patients like no other game does, Damnit, I'm finally going to have to agree with you on something:thumbup: I must be getting old!

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
None, there is no one game that bridges all the knowledge needed in order to play other games of pool at a top competitive level.

Dude i was gonna say the exact same thing

Ive played 3c straight rail n such extensively for yrs
14.1 amd 1pkt for just as many
8ball since my teens
10/9ball and bar box most recently

Not a damn one helps another game

The only thing that helps is playing the hell out of the game you want to get better at and getting the competition experience

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Well couldnthink just said 8 ball lacks big stroke shots like are common in 9 ball, not that they’re similar.

1 pocket would be my choice, though I don’t think it’s best in the strict sense of having to play all games yet only practice 1 game. It has everything that other games have and then some but if I go weeks playing 1 pocket it takes a day or two to get back to fairly decent 9 ball

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Playing all the 14.1 i have over the last 2 yrs didnt help me play 8/9ball better

Playing 1 pocket dont help em either

Straight rail dont help 3c and vice versa

They are all different and all require different strategy anf shot making

SlickRick_PCS

Pool, Snooker, Carom
Silver Member
Playing all the 14.1 i have over the last 2 yrs didnt help me play 8/9ball better

Playing 1 pocket dont help em either

Straight rail dont help 3c and vice versa

They are all different and all require different strategy anf shot making

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Ohh no you didn't say that.... :shakehead::nono:
Shall I give you the birds-and-the-bees talk, Richard? lol :D:D

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Well couldnthink just said 8 ball lacks big stroke shots like are common in 9 ball, not that they’re similar.

1 pocket would be my choice, though I don’t think it’s best in the strict sense of having to play all games yet only practice 1 game. It has everything that other games have and then some but if I go weeks playing 1 pocket it takes a day or two to get back to fairly decent 9 ball
The single biggest draw back to 1P that hurts all other games, is that 1P will hold back a players ability to get in the "zone" of a faster paced game, like ALL other games of pool....LOL