Diamond tables don't seem that great.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There goes glen again. Another poster who is way better than me says dismonds don’t work well for the bread and butter shots and glen shoots him down.

You’ve been doing the same thing for 10 years on here. Anyone who says diamonds don’t play right, instead of trying to get to the root of the issue, you try to shut down the player making the claim. After a while of this, people don’t feel like engaging you anymore.

The fact is and yes a fact Diamond rails have never been right that's why they keep changing them , you can take any banking system that's worked for decades and throw it in the trash when your on a Diamond table I saw Chang who might be the best player in the world trying to hit a simple short bank bank back into the corner and couldn't make it after several tries ,in fact he stopped trying and I've yet to see him make one in his matches ,, but hey it's probably because he doesn't have the skills to adjust,

9 Ball Fan

Darth Maximus
Silver Member
I expected this thread to be a touchy subject, but you guys talk like someone just stole the Holy Grail.

Man, y'all love those Diamond tables!!! They can't be absolutely perfect, even if they are the best tables ever made. Perhaps they are the best tables ever made? Every product ever made receives at least a little bit of criticism.

Enough pros love them, to demonstrate that they are great tables.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I expected this thread to be a touchy subject, but you guys talk like someone just stole the Holy Grail.

Man, y'all love those Diamond tables!!! They can't be absolutely perfect, even if they are the best tables ever made. Perhaps they are the best tables ever made? Every product ever made receives at least a little bit of criticism.

Enough pros love them, to demonstrate that they are great tables.

Honestly, I feel like I simply stopped by the dentist over some concerns, and while sitting in the waiting room, somebody killed the lights and I got my teeth knocked out!

gypsy_soul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd hate to hear what you'd say about all the other commercial quality tables out there if you've got this many complaints about Diamond's!

Yeah me too but he probably doesn't bet a dime so who cares what he thinks. Playing for fun is great but put a little cash on the game and see what table he likes best for his cash 💰 !!!! Diamond tables or the ones you have at your pool room Chris . I forgot the name of the tables you have it's been 10 years since I've played at your place .

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For all those listening. I just got off a call with Glenn. 2 hours and 45 minutes to be exact.

You know I consider myself a fairly intelligent person. But, after talking to Glenn (and no bullshit) the man has a tremendous amount of information. We have had our differences but I agree with his intent. I think we have a better understanding of each other. It’s difficult for Glenn to get out what he feels he needs to express in short bursts like a forum. I have had my issues but I believe that’s over and we are moving forward. I also have a better understanding of tables and how they came to be.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
so It’s official and we’re all in agreement. Diamond is not necessarily a better table than all the others, it’s just tougher and takes a more exacting practitioner of the arts to appreciate it.

When I’m playing well I go to the room with the diamonds, when I’m not I go to VA and play on the GC or triple 9 where they have an assortment of old tables, all easier on the Richter scale than a diamond. So as to still have a chance to win

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
so It’s official and we’re all in agreement. Diamond is not necessarily a better table than all the others, it’s just tougher and takes a more exacting practitioner of the arts to appreciate it.

When I’m playing well I go to the room with the diamonds, when I’m not I go to VA and play on the GC or triple 9 where they have an assortment of old tables, all easier on the Richter scale than a diamond. So as to still have a chance to win
The thing that makes a Diamond tougher, imo, is the deeper shelf. Balls that fall on every GC just sit and look at you on a Diamond. Once the Blue-labels came out i don't find it any tougher to bank balls on one. Still, set-up is key regardless of table type/brand.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
The thing that makes a Diamond tougher, imo, is the deeper shelf. Balls that fall on every GC just sit and look at you on a Diamond. Once the Blue-labels came out i don't find it any tougher to bank balls on one. Still, set-up is key regardless of table type/brand.

This.

Absolutely no joy to watch an obvious missed shot fall on a Gold Crown. It must be worse the other way around.

So glad I learned to play on Diamonds.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member

Yup. At all pocket sizes the diamond plays harder because of that shelf. I watched hat tourney on 3 7/8” pockets the other night on POV Pool. The table was tough but nothing insane when you think of 3 7/8”...had that been a diadem with the same sized openings it would have been like playing that Russian game. MFin pyramid

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This.

Absolutely no joy to watch an obvious missed shot fall on a Gold Crown. It must be worse the other way around.

So glad I learned to play on Diamonds.
In a GC's defense they were designed to be commercial money-making tables. Room owners wanted to see customers make balls, have fun and come back. Combined with the slow, nappy cloth they weren't EASY to play on but your Joe Public could make balls on them.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
the top pros in most sports have and like different equipment than amateurs do.

that is to be expected. many amateur players also admire pros and want their equipment the same.

for weaker players easier equipment is usually preferred. so that is why many like other brand of tables besides diamond.

in golf for instance few will play from the very back tees or go to the hardest course around to play except for an occasional game. yet some will all the time, and use the same top brand titelist balls and whatever clubs the current winners use.

diamond tables are top notch but less fun to play on if you tend to miss often because you are not precise.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Pool tables, like golf courses, every one is different. Pool tables vary table.to table much less.

What they have in common is that they are exactly the same for you as they are 2 minutes later for your opponent. My Gold Crown II banks consistently, has what some would call giant pockets, 5 inches at the mouth of the corners with a modestly deep shelf, rolls very true on well maintained Simonis 860. I am not a pro and am not trying to trick my mind into the pockets on some other table feeling big so when I last set it up I chose not to tighten it up. It is what it is and my guests and I enjoy it immensely.

I have only played a few Diamonds and they are definately a different animal but so is a shimmed or factory Tournament Cold Crown. If a Diamond is newer or has had the older rail issues corrected I would be just as satisfied having it as a home table. I might even prefer a Diamond if I took the game more seriously or played in a league that used them.

But I don't so I went with what I'm nostalgic for which is a Gold Crown. I seriously question the real intent of the OP here, two months ago he was posting about wanting to buy a Diamond.
32f7865aa190770aabbea76d90c9bcc1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
. I seriously question the real intent of the OP here, two months ago he was posting a out wanting to buy a Diamond.k[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-rvQsqKVOgZw/UJVO867ctrI/AAAAAAAAE4Q/dVEAmU9e5kQ/s1600/LOL+Meme+(25).gif

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, can you make a comparison? Look at the other 2 posts besides yours, this supports my theory that people are just going with the trend and don't objectivity know what makes a Diamond good over any of the others. I think that Diamond rails are nicer than many I've played on (Blue or Red), but that is about the only thing that stands out about Dismond that seems consistently good.

Yeh I too grew up on those tables as well as National's (I'm in the midwest so National had a larger footprint here), and I know some were just in bad shape, but generally that was due to poor maintenance more than design

I'd be glad to here what about a Diamond table is exclusively superior.

My table is a National, it's showing it's age. Everyone that played on it commented on how great it played. That's when I would tell them all 3 pieces of slate are warped and had them run their hands across the seams that were popped. Then to proceed gambling on the table. They would miss balls left and right with the popped seams and warped slate on their mind. lol

My next table will definitely be a Diamond.

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The National is poorly built from the floor up. I know nothing about tables, but a table mechanic pointed out why the slate warped. Lack of enough sub rails and among other things. I basically got the table for nothing years ago and held onto it. I'll be giving it away or taking it to the landfill.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
The National is poorly built from the floor up. I know nothing about tables, but a table mechanic pointed out why the slate warped. Lack of enough sub rails and among other things. I basically got the table for nothing years ago and held onto it. I'll be giving it away or taking it to the landfill.

My brother and I got the slate from an old bar box someone had growing up and we set it in the woods to put our giant burn barrel on. We had great bonfire parties around that thing. Then one time it had been raining and I guess the slate soaked up the water, the barrel was super hot and heated the slate to where it exploded. It was great. It mostly just cracked but it was pretty loud and everything fell into the hole that was our previous fire pit.

Your comment just made me think about that...good times.

simco

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When my friends and I play on any of the diamond tables in our local room,we are
happy to get to play on such nice pool tables.Sounds like some people have never
played on or with really crappy equipment.:grin-square:

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My brother and I got the slate from an old bar box someone had growing up and we set it in the woods to put our giant burn barrel on. We had great bonfire parties around that thing. Then one time it had been raining and I guess the slate soaked up the water, the barrel was super hot and heated the slate to where it exploded. It was great. It mostly just cracked but it was pretty loud and everything fell into the hole that was our previous fire pit.

Your comment just made me think about that...good times.

Buddy of mine and I were talking about the good times last night drinking some beer. There use to be about 200 hundred of us get together up in the mountain and have good time. Outbuilding with a pool table and poker tables in another room, pig roast with several kegs of beer.

I was shooting pool with a friend of mine that just started dating this girl the week before, they set a tent up to camp out there for the weekend. He looked out as a guy was walking out of his tent with his girl. He said what the &%$#! The buddy I was drinking with said there's been guys going in and out of that tent all night long. Crazy old times. lol

I'm surprised my slate hasn't blown up just sitting there yet. One advantage to playing on crappy equipment and moving to perfect or almost perfect playing conditions is you can loosen up a lot more. If a player complains about a little table roll, the little table roll won't bother me.