First Thread - Three ball

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rack three balls with one of the balls on the spot and two balls behind it.

Break from behind the head string counts as a stroke

Count how many strokes it takes to clear the table

Add a stroke for scratching, resume behind head string

A single player continues until the table is cleared.

Next player racks the same gets a shot at three new balls

Low score wins the round.

One ties all tie

Normally a gambling game if a tie everyone puts in again and the pot is raised.

Winner gets the entire pot.

Winner of each game shoots first the next game, and and the order of players (if more than 2) stays the same.

Generally played no-call (slop).

If a player decides not to ante up for an additional inning after a tie the money wagered so far stays in the pot.

This game is great as weak players and stronger players can all interact without a spot.

Generally played by groups of three or more.

Good for locations with only one table.

Thanks Donny for the additional thoughts.

Last edited:

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
3-ball! Yes!

One ties all tie

It's a great game for gambling or just having fun. One rule you neglected: the winner of each game shoots first the next game, and and the order of players (if more than 2) stays the same. Generally played no-call (slop). I like this game: I stuffed my hip pocket with 60 Hamiltons in a 3-ball game in a DC bar in 1994!
Donny L
BCA/ACS Instructor
Gainesville, Fl

Chagy

Registered
Great fun game to play I normally play for quarters like 50 cents in and if you scratch you put in another quarter and your turn is over can get pretty fun and make some money when you have 6/7 people playing.

puppytoungue

3-ball-15

I have played it to a 15 point game for the winner. A good two person game or more. First Player in turn breaks, one free shot is the break, then shoots until a miss or scratch, keeping one point for each ball made until 15 balls made is reached. A scratch forefits a turn and one point deducted. A miss forefits the turn. A run of the three, by slop play, and including doubles, clears the table for the next break by prevailing player who shoots until miss, scratch, or game won at 15 points. One bonus point added for doubles (making two balls in one shot) so a two ball pocketing earns three points. A player, if no makeable shot to pocket ball, can extend his run by hitting (billiard) two balls using at least one rail to complete both hits, but cannot get a point for this and can only do it one time during the current run. Basically a safety or set up billiard shot, and shoot again.

A miss, or scratch, leaves remaining balls, if any, on the table "as is" and the Player 2 gets ball in hand to shoot those balls, or break if none.

money is played either by point spread..i.e. 15-7= 8 for game winner, or just by winning at 15.

A good game because of the strategy. One can play the billiard shot if needed, and can also play a safety if needed by freezing balls leaving the opposition a tough shot during an intentional miss. Its a cheap game to play on coin tables and quick enough so both players get shots on the table frequently..maybe!

Snookerhabit

Inconceivable!
Silver Member
3 ball money

Great game for bars. No limit on players and all levels can compete. Where I am we play slop. Save the quarters if you can't beat the score!!

Mr. Wiggles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Four or less to win!

One ties all tie

Winner of each game shoots first the next game, and and the order of players (if more than 2) stays the same.

Generally played no-call (slop).

If a player decides not to ante up for an additional inning after a tie the money wagered so far stays in the pot.

This game is great as weak players and stronger players can all interact without a spot.

Generally played by groups of three or more.

Good for locations with only one table.

Thanks Donny for the additional thoughts.

You pretty much got it. But we play five doesn't win. Four or better. Which makes more ties and big pots. Some play three in a triangle!?!? Not good IMO. Three in line is much tougher. 1$ is normal play but last game of the day is always fun for $5. Nice pots.