Flying to Boston, MA tonight! Any tournaments or nice pool halls around?

filluptieu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ill be staying in lexington but will drive to check out either nice pool halls or weekly tournaments.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Also I was wondering if anyone knows a place with 9 foot diamond pro ams

Joe T

Amazin Billiards
40 Faulkner st
Malden MA
I don't think they have Diamonds in there but good Brunswicks and some excellent 3 Cushion. I think your best bet for real pool "This Ames Mr" I could put you in contact with some good players up there if you like.

filluptieu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Mr Tucker. Is This Ames Mr a pool hall? Might be a dumb question but i cant find anything on it.

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
Jillians in Boston, directly behind Fenway park, is quite possible the most amazing Pool room I've ever been in...and I've been around...both coasts.
It's practically a cathedral built to honor the game, though I doubt it's the room in Boston where you'll find the most action (if that's what you're looking for). http://jilliansboston.com/explore/jillians/

jillians-6.jpg

This website gives pretty detailed reviews of Boston area Billiard Clubs.
http://www.bostonpoolhalls.com/

Last edited:

Joe T

Yes its called Amazin Billiards. I said Ames because its just good pool, billiards and good coffee. Mazin Shooni Pro 3 Cushion player owns it.

Not to disagree with DJ but I was recently at Jillian s for Jarrods Heroes Hearts charity event and think you would be disappointed with the equipment.

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
Not to disagree with DJ but I was recently at Jillian s for Jarrods Heroes Hearts charity event and think you would be disappointed with the equipment.

No worries :). I just visited Jillian's one time as a tourist (after watching my NY Yankees spank their bean town rivals ;) ) Jillian's definitely did not seem to be a players room to me. That being said, I was still impressed with the room as far as size & style.
-Z-

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Amazin has great tables, is a membership club and they have tournaments on weekeds.

The place I play in Ayer MA called The Billiards Cafe has a Tuesday night tournament. 7' Diamond table in a private room, 12' snooker table.

Here are some pictures of the place during a holiday party for our league https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.656382701080318.1073741863.197627246955868&type=3

Snookers in Prividence RI has a great Wed night tournament with good players.

If you are bored and nothing else to do, Jillians is an option, but it's not a very good pool room.

CaptainHook

NOT Mike Sigel
Silver Member
Jillians in Boston, directly behind Fenway park, is quite possible the most amazing Pool room I've ever been in...and I've been around...both coasts.
It's practically a cathedral built to honor the game, though I doubt it's the room in Boston where you'll find the most action (if that's what you're looking for). http://jilliansboston.com/explore/jillians/

jillians-6.jpg

The building Jillian’s is in, used to be a roller rink, big game room downstairs, the pool room in the back corner was a little less congested, every time I went there was a waiting list, last time I was in Boston I played at Boston Billiard Club just around the corner from Jillian’s and Fenway, over on Brookline, one of my friends told me they closed up, what a shame, that was nice room, there are some bars in Newton with allot of bar box action, can’t remember the names though.
:grin-square:

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

jillians-6.jpg

Horrible, HORRIBLE tables. Bad pool atmosphere. I would definitely not go to jillians if you are "into" pool. Mazin's is a much better choice.

If you can stand a drive, I'd hit Snookers on Wednesday night. They have an awesome tourney on wednesdays for $20. Starts at 6:30. Its about an hour out of boston though, maybe 50 minutes.

Going north, Grand China has a good tourney on Thursday and Friday. The Friday one is bit more serious, but both are on the "fun" side of the spectrum...$10 entry. Nice 8.5' Brunswick tables that play great. Grand China is in Salem, NH right off exit 1 of RT 93

Hope this helps.

KMRUNOUT

Edit: That picture looks nothing like the Jillians in Boston. The Boston one has more of a night club feel to it, rather than a pool hall. And the tabels have disgusting red shag carpet for cloth. Yes, I said RED haha.

Last edited:

thejohnhughes

Registered
Alternative Pool Room

Stix N Stones in Abington has good tables and is closer than Snookers, although Snookers is worth a trip. There are a number of good players there as well.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
how about Johnny Flat top?

I was there once, did not much care for it. They have pool tables, that's about it as far as them being a pool hall, but they are said to have good food. Amazin is really the best place for pool along with Snookers in RI, but for a cool atmosphere I'd have to say The Billiards Café in Ayer is the best in NE. You won't find any top players there but if you want a place to hang out, that is a great one. And they have a snooker table and a 7' Diamond. Tables are not the best but clean with Simonis. Best tables in the area are in Amazin or Snookers.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
None around, but I heard there is a place with 8 footers in N.H.

Correct. The Crow's Nest in Plaistow, NH has 10 8' Diamonds. Brand new. They are set up with blue simonis and Cyclop balls. They play fantastic. Also pool is free. It would be nice to buy some food and drinks ;-)

Only problem with this option is now you're looking at a solid 90 minutes out of Boston. Its a hike! Eh...maybe its a bit less than that, but if you're driving that far you'd probably enjoy Snookers more.

KMRUNOUT

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Correct. The Crow's Nest in Plaistow, NH has 10 8' Diamonds. Brand new. They are set up with blue simonis and Cyclop balls. They play fantastic. Also pool is free. It would be nice to buy some food and drinks ;-)

Only problem with this option is now you're looking at a solid 90 minutes out of Boston. Its a hike! Eh...maybe its a bit less than that, but if you're driving that far you'd probably enjoy Snookers more.

KMRUNOUT

Kerry, are they all ages? Was thinking about heading over with my son.

It's a lot closer than 90 minutes from Boston, looks to be an hour or less.
Google maps has me at 1hr 10 minutes from me near central MA in Worcester to there and it looks to be directly North of Boston.