That's No Billiards Movie! The Top 15 Worst Offenders

jasonamoss13

8 Ball on Silver Screen
Silver Member
We have all experienced it.

A movie that looks like it will be about billiards, based on the compelling poster. But, when we watch the film, we find out it has little or nothing to do with the sport.

:angry: It's time to end the #NotABilliardsMovie deceit. Here's my list of the Top 15 worst offenders. :angry: What's on your list?

http://www.billiardsmovies.com/billiards-movies-2/top-15-notabilliardsmovies/

41dSLm4sT3L.jpg

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
None of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre movies have any pool in them either, yet there is a ton of action in Texas. Go figure..... :eek:

large_gx7FCIOFGxqNyplF3t7qtmUv55g.jpg

LIAKOS27

NOT banned (yet)
Silver Member
None of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre movies have any pool in them either, yet there is a ton of action in Texas. Go figure..... :eek:

large_gx7FCIOFGxqNyplF3t7qtmUv55g.jpg

I think I played with that guy the other day. He didn't have the chainsaw thingy and didn't really talk much. Lots of grunts. He played bad and lost a couple sets.

When it came time to pay, I let him go because I felt bad:)

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We have all experienced it.

A movie that looks like it will be about billiards, based on the compelling poster. But, when we watch the film, we find out it has little or nothing to do with the sport.

:angry: It's time to end the #NotABilliardsMovie deceit. Here's my list of the Top 15 worst offenders. :angry: What's on your list?

http://www.billiardsmovies.com/billiards-movies-2/top-15-notabilliardsmovies/

41dSLm4sT3L.jpg

Jasonamoss, your posting assumes a movie poster must match it's content, sir.

A movie poster is merely a tool to provide certain pieces of information about a movie,
e.g. general advertising, release date(s), players (actors), movie rating(s), and perhaps a review or two.
The plot and theme is by no means always evident from a movie poster.

Case in point: take a look at the posters for The Hustler (not the stills from the movie, mind you).
I believe there are a few posters that were made.
Most of the posters do NOT have nary a pool table,
cue stick or anything else that might lead you to believe it's about pool.

Please don't judge a move poster prima facie.
You will undoubtedly be disappointed.
It works the other way as well.

Hope that sheds a little light on why some movie posters utilize certain devices only so as to
assist in the movie's advertising.
These devices and a movie's content are sometimes mutually exclusive.

Last edited:

Kris_b1104

House Pro in my own home.
Silver Member

A movie poster is merely a tool to provide certain pieces of information about a movie,
e.g. general advertising, release date(s), players (actors), movie rating(s), and perhaps a review or two.

Case in point: take a look at the posters for The Hustler (not the stills from the movie, mind you).

Hope that sheds a little light on why some movie posters utilize certain devices only so as to

Way to be a buzzkill.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member

I saw this (to my eternal shame).....
It was kind of about pool, in sort of the same way that the movie "Ted" was about a Grizzly Bear attack, but the movie was just about every kind of awful you can think of.

Now, to be clear, I like Whoopie Goldberg as an actress, she can be funny, but this movie sucked everything it could from floor to ceiling.
It was slightly below the horror movie "Microwave Massacre" (and that's a pretty low bar).

jasonamoss13

8 Ball on Silver Screen
Silver Member

To the contrary, I do not assume a poster must precisely match its content. That is too literal an interpretation of the role of a poster. But, I take offense -- in a tongue-and-cheek way, of course -- when the poster shows content that is entirely unrelated to the movie.

To use your example from "The Hustler," most the posters associated with the film either showed the actors or a cue stick and billiard balls illustration. Very appropriate.

hustler.jpg

the-hustler-movie-poster-1961-1010416146.jpg

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member

You missed the mark by a MILE.

There's not a person in the world that wouldn't assume this movie wasn't about 9ball
Jason

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My buddy hands me a dvd and says, "You have to see this pool movie. It's amazing." It looked good. Ving Rhames and Freddie Prinze Jr...Shooting Gallery

It starts out with Ving in Prison for a long time...Eventually after an hour I feel like I'm doing time. I kept thinking he is going to get out of Prison and meet up with Freddie and they will pull off a hustle together. Nope. another half hour of more prison time.

Turned out he had given me a double dvd Ving Rhames tribute where one half of the dvd was the movie, "Animal" which was a bad movie about Ving in Prison. The other half was Shooting Gallery which was not nearly as bad but definitely bad in comparison to The Hustler and TCOM.

I still can't believe how long I kept believing it would turn into a pool movie. lol.

CaptainHook

NOT Mike Sigel
Silver Member
I have a small collection of pool movies, some suck, others I like, never did come across the one with Efren in it called Pankers.

Attachments

• poolmovies.jpg
    poolmovies.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 659

Str8PoolMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?

I have a small collection of pool movies, some suck, others I like, never did come across the one with Efren in it called Pankers.

How did you like Virgin Pockets? I just saw that recently and thought it wouldn't have been a bad movie if it weren't for the cliched plot, bland dialogue, and poor acting. Other than that, it was pretty good.