2nd break considered the 2nd shot?

r9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Our league has some odd rules. League is not affiliated with any type of organization like BCA, etc.

We play call pocket, open after the break, 8 on break without scratch is a win, with a scratch is a loss, must drive 4 balls to rail on break or pocket an object ball.
If no legal break, opposing player has option to play them or rerack and break.

The leagues self made rule is that if original breaker makes illegal break and the opposing player takes the option to rerack and break, that is the 2nd shot of the game and he must call a ball and pocket on the break to continue shooting. If he makes the 8 ball, it is a loss.

The organized league rules seem to treat the 2nd breaker as a normal break, which I agree with.
Anybody had something similar?

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
Our league has some odd rules. League is not affiliated with any type of organization like BCA, etc.

We play call pocket, open after the break, 8 on break without scratch is a win, with a scratch is a loss, must drive 4 balls to rail on break or pocket an object ball.
If no legal break, opposing player has option to play them or rerack and break.

The leagues self made rule is that if original breaker makes illegal break and the opposing player takes the option to rerack and break, that is the 2nd shot of the game and he must call a ball and pocket on the break to continue shooting. If he makes the 8 ball, it is a loss.

The organized league rules seem to treat the 2nd breaker as a normal break, which I agree with.
Anybody had something similar?

That rule must be made up from somewhere in Illinois... Macomb maybe? ;-)

Last edited:

r9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, Macomb...... It took forever just to get them to adopt ball in hand. Surprising they don't burn witches here!

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Do all the same rules still apply to the break then? They shouldn't if they consider it a second shot and you should break straight pool safe until they get rid of that rule lol. You have the choice of either taking the table as it lay which is probably pretty bad in most cases, or getting punished for your opponents mistake. I dont like it.