What Happened to the 2019 West Coast Challenge?

WGDave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Normally at this time of year we in the SF Bay Area have had the pleasure of seeing the West Coast Challenge up at California Billiards in Fremont.

Great one pocket and 10 ball competitions that would draw great pros from around the country and world.

Has this come to an end?

The Cole Dickson tournament was played in SF, but no stops after that at Cal Billiards, and then Freezers like last year.

Please do not say it is no more.

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Normally at this time of year we in the SF Bay Area have had the pleasure of seeing the West Coast Challenge up at California Billiards in Fremont.

Great one pocket and 10 ball competitions that would draw great pros from around the country and world.

Has this come to an end?

The Cole Dickson tournament was played in SF, but no stops after that at Cal Billiards, and then Freezers like last year.

I think I heard Daniel say that they aren’t having the west coast swing tour this year.

Td

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
They are having a bunch of tournaments in Vegas, both at Griffs and the Rio Hotel. Check the CSI calendar for July and August.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Has this come to an end?

I don’t think it’s over forever. There was a lot of conflicting dates with the Vegas tournaments and they could find a good opening to have it.

Baby Huey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wouldn't blame anyone for not having a tournament on the West Coast. Last couple of years, California Billiards added 10K to their event and only had fifty or so players show up.

WGDave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks guys.

The Cal Billiards tournaments fell on the 4th of July week the last few years. And yes, the player turnout was not great, but there were some monsters that we rarely see here in the Bay Area.

Maybe Chris at Cal Billiards did not want to add the $20,000 ($15k 10 ball & $5k one pocket) for such a low turnout?

The Diamond Open does not start in Vegas until the 17th, so no conflicting dates. Maybe that was not the case in the planning stages if the dates were up in the air?

The great part about these events is that Daniel streamed them for free. The Vegas stuff is not free.

The Chohan vs Orcollo one pocket for $100,00 a few years ago was classic, and linked to this event.

The west coast loses if all the big events are now only going to be in Las Vegas.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks guys.

The Cal Billiards tournaments fell on the 4th of July week the last few years. And yes, the player turnout was not great, but there were some monsters that we rarely see here in the Bay Area.

Maybe Chris at Cal Billiards did not want to add the $20,000 ($15k 10 ball & $5k one pocket) for such a low turnout?

The Diamond Open does not start in Vegas until the 17th, so no conflicting dates. Maybe that was not the case in the planning stages if the dates were up in the air?

The great part about these events is that Daniel streamed them for free. The Vegas stuff is not free.

The Chohan vs Orcollo one pocket for $100,00 a few years ago was classic, and linked to this event.

The west coast loses if all the big events are now only going to be in Las Vegas.

I wouldn't be surprised if the money and low turnout was a factor but I've never heard anyone involved mention that as a reason.

I miss it especially this year as, opposed to previous years, I would have had time to hang out there all weekend.

POVPOOL

POV Pool
Silver Member
Just to dispel any rumors...

...the West Coast Swing was held back this year (2019) due to the roster of events which, were scheduled during our desired time slots. There was also a delay in securing a 3rd venue (Freezer's was on the fence after laying off Scott Frost). During this delay, we noticed other dates being thrown out there by other entities and things began to look pretty tight.

As far back as November of 2018 we received calls from our sponsors almost twice a week asking if we were going to release a schedule and announce the 'Swing' but we had to hold off until we were sure exactly who was hosting which events. That said, once we noticed dates and events springing up in the summer and without the 3rd venue fully confirmed, we made the decision to scale back. Up until April of 2019, Chris Swart of California Billiards still intended on holding another big event to take place after the Cole Dickson but wanted to avoid the 4th of July weekend; aimed his sights on July 10-14 but Just as we were drawing up our plans he discovered that the Mid West Billiards Expo in Des Moines was also announced.

All in all, it's not a big loss for us to step back on this year's 'Swing'. At the end of the day, if pool is growing and dates are becoming an issue for big events, I consider that a 'WIN' for pool in general. As far as our relations with sponsors and the rooms involved; everyone is getting on great. There is drama to speak of. Nobody is cancelling anything just because it's too much money on July 4th. In fact, for what it's worth, last year's July 4th weekend at California Billiards went very well and the only reason we wish to avoid the 4th in the future is because players requested us not to slate the dates; we wanted to satisfy this request.

The West Coast Swing will be back in action in 2020! We are currently looking at all the cards in the deck in order to fit into everyone's schedule/s. We are not announcing rooms, events or dates as of yet but, I can assure you all we have no intention of backing down from this rather prestigious series of high quality events.

Thanks everyone and 'Keep Loving Pool!'

WGDave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just to dispel any rumors...

...the West Coast Swing was held back this year (2019) due to the roster of events which, were scheduled during our desired time slots. There was also a delay in securing a 3rd venue (Freezer's was on the fence after laying off Scott Frost). During this delay, we noticed other dates being thrown out there by other entities and things began to look pretty tight.

As far back as November of 2018 we received calls from our sponsors almost twice a week asking if we were going to release a schedule and announce the 'Swing' but we had to hold off until we were sure exactly who was hosting which events. That said, once we noticed dates and events springing up in the summer and without the 3rd venue fully confirmed, we made the decision to scale back. Up until April of 2019, Chris Swart of California Billiards still intended on holding another big event to take place after the Cole Dickson but wanted to avoid the 4th of July weekend; aimed his sights on July 10-14 but Just as we were drawing up our plans he discovered that the Mid West Billiards Expo in Des Moines was also announced.

All in all, it's not a big loss for us to step back on this year's 'Swing'. At the end of the day, if pool is growing and dates are becoming an issue for big events, I consider that a 'WIN' for pool in general. As far as our relations with sponsors and the rooms involved; everyone is getting on great. There is drama to speak of. Nobody is cancelling anything just because it's too much money on July 4th. In fact, for what it's worth, last year's July 4th weekend at California Billiards went very well and the only reason we wish to avoid the 4th in the future is because players requested us not to slate the dates; we wanted to satisfy this request.

The West Coast Swing will be back in action in 2020! We are currently looking at all the cards in the deck in order to fit into everyone's schedule/s. We are not announcing rooms, events or dates as of yet but, I can assure you all we have no intention of backing down from this rather prestigious series of high quality events.

Thanks everyone and 'Keep Loving Pool!'

Thank you!

That clears things up. Hope to see you next year.

Guess that apostrophe in Freezer's wasn't all it was made out to be.

WGDave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wouldn't be surprised if the money and low turnout was a factor but I've never heard anyone involved mention that as a reason.

I miss it especially this year as, opposed to previous years, I would have had time to hang out there all weekend.

If you get the time to attend during the next West Coast Challenge, I would be honored to buy you a beer, or whatever your beverage of choice happens to be.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you get the time to attend during the next West Coast Challenge, I would be honored to buy you a beer, or whatever your beverage of choice happens to be.

I’d be honored to accept. Sounds like a plan!