APA Needs to STOP Re-Ranking Players During Touraments

APA Operator

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let me get this straight, you feel you did your LO a favor by playing in a tournament your team didn't actually qualify for, and THEY screwed YOU? Ok.

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
I agree. I have idea that might work: If the tournament directors in Vegas determine that a team is sandbagging, they let the team continue and whatever prize money they win must be paid directly by the local League Operator. This way, the League Operators will do their best to detect sandbagging prior to the tournament.

Somewhat brilliant.

Get the players ranked properly BEFORE tournaments. Instead of subjecting people, and entire teams, to a huge letdown.

Any ranking deficiencies found during a tournament can then be applied AFTER the tournament.

CaleAYS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think players get moved up too easily in Vegas for sure. I’ve been twice. 2015 and this year. Both times we had a player raised after one single match where they did not play over their heads by any means. 2015 we had 3 players raised during the tournament. Finished 17th. No we don’t sandbag. We just stayed somewhat sober and we play our league nights on oversized 8fts with semi tough pockets. We make balls easier on 7s with buckets obviously. One of our players lost her first two matches, then beat a 3 19/1 cause they were pretty damn drunk and couldn’t make a ball. She got raised after that match with her 40% lifetime winning percentage. Didn’t make sense.

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
Let me get this straight, you feel you did your LO a favor by playing in a tournament your team didn't actually qualify for, and THEY screwed YOU? Ok.

Our participation in the tournament was mutually beneficial. Pretending it wasn't is disingenuous.

And trust me, to a person, we would've preferred simply going about our original Memorial weekend plans, than breaking them, only to show up and get ranked out of the tournament after the first match.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Somewhat brilliant.

Get the players ranked properly BEFORE tournaments. Instead of subjecting people, and entire teams, to a huge letdown.

Any ranking deficiencies found during a tournament can then be applied AFTER the tournament.

It’s all a mess. People want to play pool and the apa is big and spread all around. Sometimes it’s the only thing. Some people say “something’s better than nothing” but if the something is just barely good enough to get by then it’s hard to get the drive to actually make a change that would ultimately lead to more satisfaction. It’s sort of like our current 2 party system or a stale relationship that you’re just so used to it’s not worth it to stir things up.

Handicaps are the real problem here but what can you do? The equalizer system is no good in real life it seems. I like the BCA way of setting up matches between players but the 1 rack a piece thing makes me itch.

The more I think on it though I think the apa just is what it is. A league geared towards beginners and social players, that happens to attract serious players because they want to play too damnit, then they get burned lol. You’re not supposed to win, you have to let your opponent beat themselves.

newcuer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The answer to all of this is to make the teams/players truly earn it during the regular session. Kind of like the UBL does (but without the goofy ball in hand rules).

This would require limiting who would is eligible to make the tourney to play for Vegas. But the LO's fear they would get people quitting during the year when they determine they can't make the tourney. And the LO's don't want to lose that money.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
I have to ask, what is your take on how APA teams "earn it" for a trip to Vegas?

The answer to all of this is to make the teams/players truly earn it during the regular session. Kind of like the UBL does (but without the goofy ball in hand rules).

This would require limiting who would is eligible to make the tourney to play for Vegas. But the LO's fear they would get people quitting during the year when they determine they can't make the tourney. And the LO's don't want to lose that money.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Somewhat brilliant.

This would be great, but the rating system depends on the information submitted by the
players. How do you go about getting solid information? What do other leagues do?
What would you suggest?

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
I've had this happen during cities. Girl on my team beat another girl bad in 9 ball. The loser goes to the LO and complains about how bad she got beat. She didn't mention that she gave her BiH 3-5 times per rack. They raise her up. She goes on to lose every match she has for the next session and a half. I email them requesting her to be brought back down. They ignore it and she eventually quits.

newcuer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to ask, what is your take on how APA teams "earn it" for a trip to Vegas?

Stop giving away spots to the citywides to every other team. Stop ignoring the rule that says if you win in the summer you must finish in the top 50% in the next sessions. Stop cutting deals with captains giving them spots in the citywides.

If you make it so that its difficult to reach citywides then players can't afford to be sandbagging.

The choice is the APA's I don't care what they tell you.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Sounds like your area is not well run.

Stop giving away spots to the citywides to every other team. Stop ignoring the rule that says if you win in the summer you must finish in the top 50% in the next sessions. Stop cutting deals with captains giving them spots in the citywides.

If you make it so that its difficult to reach citywides then players can't afford to be sandbagging.

The choice is the APA's I don't care what they tell you.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
I had a 4 one year who played a 7 and beat him, without ever pocketing a ball. He did get to break though.

Every game changing mistake that seven could do, he did. (Scratch on 8, early eight)

My 4 went up to a 5, pointed out to the LO at the tourney that the scoresheet indicated how he won. He admitted their error in entering the info, but was not going to change a thing.

Sank our teams chances for the rest of the event, as we were a bit top heavy to begin with.

I've had this happen during cities. Girl on my team beat another girl bad in 9 ball. The loser goes to the LO and complains about how bad she got beat. She didn't mention that she gave her BiH 3-5 times per rack. They raise her up. She goes on to lose every match she has for the next session and a half. I email them requesting her to be brought back down. They ignore it and she eventually quits.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see people in the league here that somehow "win" a spot to go to Vegas and they can't run three balls.

The APA is more of a social gathering, where pool happens to be at and occupies the time between them missing and then sitting on the sidelines BSing until it is their turn to miss again.

us820

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s a banger league where half your roster basically can’t even play pool.I love watching posts from 2s coming back from Vegas where they “finished 20th place in the world”.

I believe at least half the entire league in one way or another is trying to manage handicaps.

The quote I hear all the time is “ I don’t want to go up”

Just a cheap night out but a joke.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This I can’t argue with.. Tap’s red flag rule to me is more fare for sure and makes sense.

I Got Lucky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So basically, if I you get to vegas, leave your A game at home because if your team rises to the challenge, the APA will screw you. Why in the world would I even bother to go?????

Sorry to hear that, but not surprised. I quit the APA over 20 years ago. Nothing has changed. The money machine's "equalizer system" can't prevent sandbagging and never will be able to.
Can't a league player just play safe a lot?
Like make a ball, play safe and try for ball in hand, then play safe again by trying to roll one of his balls in front of a pocket.
And keep on doing that until all his balls are gone?
Looks like that would drive an opponent into getting mad and losing his concentrartion. Which would be a good thing.

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
These APA bashing threads are BS. Learn the rules. Abide by them. I’ve played in the leagues for 20 years without incident. Anyone with the IQ of a potted fern can read the rule book. If you aren’t smart enough to learn how to work within the confines of their league rules, you should probably get Ubers to the pool hall. I don’t want you operating heavy machinery.

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
So basically, if I you get to vegas, leave your A game at home because if your team rises to the challenge, the APA will screw you. Why in the world would I even bother to go?????

Play Masters. No worries about handicaps going up. It’s open. Several guys that play are 700+ Fargo.

Sooooo tired of people bashing something they don’t even understand.