Revo vs Becue

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know Hawaiian Eye has tried them both and prefers the Becue, saying
the Becue has a more solid hit. That is a big thing to me as I hate a cliicky
sound. Is that what the Revo does or not solid or what. I have not triied
either, no one around where I live has one. I have also read that the Becue
feels sticky and you need to wear a glove, and you can't get just the shaft.
Would like to here from someone who has tried both what they think.
jack

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jack

I think some of the Becue's "hit" is because it has a butt made of carbon fiber, too.

There are also two different types of shafts for the Becue. A pro taper (the Prime) with a 12mm tip and a conical taper (the 5.1) with an 11.8mm tip. I prefer the pro taper because I use a closed bridge. That is also the reason I use a glove with it. The Becue shaft is smooth but it isn't as "slick" as the REVO shaft because the Becue shaft is coated with aviation paint.

I like the Becue shaft color better than the REVO also. The Becue is snow white and the REVO is jet black. For me, it is easier to sight down the white shaft and see the black tip than it is to sight down the all black REVO with a black tip.

I'm sure other people will prefer the REVO, but they are both good shafts.

The reason I bought the Becue is because I had a chance to play both cues before I bought one. I, actually, played the REVO first and thought it was okay, but I didn't ever think about buying one. When I played with the Becue, I thought it played better than the REVO and I toyed with the idea of buying one, but I already had too many cues. When a friend of mine offered me the one I have for a price I couldn't refuse, I jumped on it and am glad I did. When I got it, the cue came with the 5.1 shaft and I bought the Prime shaft a couple months later, when it came out.

Last edited:

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jack

I have played with the Revo and I own a few BeCue shafts. Both shafts feel great, ultra smooth but what I noticed is that they both amplify every bit of chalk and dirt you might pick-up from your hands or the table, and therefore require extra wipe downs than when I was playing with wood shafts.

The difference in the BeCue is that because of the aviation paint, I am able to run over the shaft with a burnishing pad, piece of leather, paper and work the shaft like I used to the wood shafts- eventually with time, the finish gets broken in and feels even better.

I don't wear a glove and I play with the BeCue. A little powder on long turns at the table never hurts either. It isn't any different from when I played with Z2, Longoni S2, OB and Samsara shafts in the past.

The Revo comes with specific instructions not to use any abrasives on the shaft, recommending hand wipes to use to clean it.

More the sound you mentioned....acoustics is also important to me and I never did like a hollow sounding hit that I had with some cored out LD wood shafts. I also noticed the sound was amplified when using varying degrees of outside English or longer lengths of bridges.

In my experience with both shafts, the Revo has a higher acoustic range on the hit that is more amplified with a harder tip installed. Whereas the BeCue had a solid low frequency hit with either a medium or hard tip installed.

For comparison here are some videos:

Myself using the BeCue Prime shaft, Kamui black medium tip with a variety of bridge lengths, grips, and degrees of English....

https://youtu.be/fP4D2J19E_Q

Here are some videos where the Revo is tested out of the box with a soft tip, and zero background noise, so you can hear the hit....

https://youtu.be/FTdflfh4GwU

https://youtu.be/igtUqKUciIw

Here at 15:51, I believe Josh Filler had a harder tip installed on the Revo because the sound is a much higher....

https://youtu.be/8bbHVdtNeOI

Hope this helps show the acoustic differences between the two shafts. Again, these are my observations and impressions, nothing beats trying them out yourself. If you make the trek to the super billiards expo, both cues will be on display for you to give them a spin.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
I like the Becue shaft color better than the REVO also. The Becue is snow white and the REVO is jet black. For me, it is easier to sight down the white shaft and see the black tip than it is to sight down the all black REVO with a black tip.

One of the players at the room I play in in Rochester purchased a Revo shaft when it was first delivered. Tried it several times. He recently purchased the break version as well. The major problem I found was exactly as you described it. Can not see the tip! Found I touched the cue ball prematurely on way too many occasions.

Yes, I'm old. Yes, my eyesight isn't what it used to be. Perhaps changing to a colored tip might help. Then again, I'm about the only player NOT using a "low deflection" shaft in the room. My 25 year old Schon shaft still plays good enough for this old fogy! When I get to SBE next month, one of my projects is to find a retailer for BeCue and try one.

Lyn

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
When I get to SBE next month, one of my projects is to find a retailer for BeCue and try one. Lyn

Hey Lyn,

I just emailed BeCue and asked them if they were going to be at SBE. I included a link to the SBE website. Fingers crossed. I'll hit you back with whatever their response is. Thanx for mentioning BeCue, as I had never heard of them before. I checked out their website and it does seem they have invented a better mouse trap...then again, it just may be someone has invented better sales marketing.

http://www.becueofficial.com/

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
I'm pretty sure becue will be at the expo just like last year. I just couldn't find them last year, heard they were behind the jerky stand.

I haven't been able to hit with the Becue yet but the drag from the paint is probably going to be a no go for me.

I've been playing with a 12.4mm Revo since April and I switched from regular maple shafts with ivory ferrules. Was an easy adjustment and I've actually been shooting a bit better. The color adjustment wasn't an issue for me, however when I take one of my customs out for a run on occasion, I actually hate the wood shaft look now. I quickly revert back to my Revo shaft.

I also use the rush as my breaker and I have severe back issues and can't really use a power break. You don't need to with the rush either. It transfers energy very well and explodes the rack even at slow speeds. 99.5% of the time I only play 8ball on bar boxes, and the 8 is always heading for a pocket on the break. I do use 2nd ball break and a Ryo rack.

As far as maintenance on the Revo, I shoot tourney on Tuesday and league on Thursday. I use great white chalk only and don't feel the buildup ever, nor do my hands get dirty. I wipe the shaft down after each night with a dry microfiber cloth then the silkish cloth supplied with the Revo shaft. Every 2nd use I use the wipe and it lasts to wipe down the shooting and break shaft in 1 wipe.

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The color adjustment wasn't an issue for me, however when I take one of my customs out for a run on occasion, I actually hate the wood shaft look now.

As far as maintenance on the Revo, I shoot tourney on Tuesday and league on Thursday. I use great white chalk only and don't feel the buildup ever, nor do my hands get dirty. I wipe the shaft down after each night with a dry microfiber cloth then the silkish cloth supplied with the Revo shaft. Every 2nd use I use the wipe and it lasts to wipe down the shooting and break shaft in 1 wipe.

I was mentioning the color issue just the other day.

I have some of the cleanest, straightest grain wood shafts to be had, but when I use them after using the Becue they look "yellow". Also, the tiny bit of grain in the wood makes the shaft look "wiggly" because the Becue is solid white.

I use rubbing alcohol on a paper towel to clean my shafts once in a while. Other than that, I only wipe them with my microfiber towel or a damp paper towel.

The Becue hits the ball so straight with LD, I've been using it to break with lately, too. I haven't laid into it with a super-hard power break yet, but I've been hitting them pretty smartly and haven't had any issues.

I have been playing with the cue at 19oz for the time I've had it, but a couple weeks ago I added a bit more weight and I think it may play a bit better to me. I don't know if I'll ever use all the different combination of weights that came in the weight bolt package, but it comes in handy and only takes a second to change the weight of the cue.

chancen it

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
becue/ revo

I have had both.There is something different about that becue.I shot great with it.My problem was the paint.I shot in a crowded bar for leagues and the shaft got tacky quick.I think I could have got use to the conical taper but prefer a pro taper. The revo is a great shaft but couldn't get a 12.4 size.Color of the shaft didn't bother me ,shaft was always smooth.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have played with the Revo and I own a few BeCue shafts. Both shafts feel great, ultra smooth but what I noticed is that they both amplify every bit of chalk and dirt you might pick-up from your hands or the table, and therefore require extra wipe downs than when I was playing with wood shafts.

The difference in the BeCue is that because of the aviation paint, I am able to run over the shaft with a burnishing pad, piece of leather, paper and work the shaft like I used to the wood shafts- eventually with time, the finish gets broken in and feels even better.

I don't wear a glove and I play with the BeCue. A little powder on long turns at the table never hurts either. It isn't any different from when I played with Z2, Longoni S2, OB and Samsara shafts in the past.

The Revo comes with specific instructions not to use any abrasives on the shaft, recommending hand wipes to use to clean it.

More the sound you mentioned....acoustics is also important to me and I never did like a hollow sounding hit that I had with some cored out LD wood shafts. I also noticed the sound was amplified when using varying degrees of outside English or longer lengths of bridges.

In my experience with both shafts, the Revo has a higher acoustic range on the hit that is more amplified with a harder tip installed. Whereas the BeCue had a solid low frequency hit with either a medium or hard tip installed.

For comparison here are some videos:

Myself using the BeCue Prime shaft, Kamui black medium tip with a variety of bridge lengths, grips, and degrees of English....

https://youtu.be/fP4D2J19E_Q

Here are some videos where the Revo is tested out of the box with a soft tip, and zero background noise, so you can hear the hit....

https://youtu.be/igtUqKUciIw

Here at 15:51, I believe Josh Filler had a harder tip installed on the Revo because the sound is a much higher....

https://youtu.be/8bbHVdtNeOI

Hope this helps show the acoustic differences between the two shafts. Again, these are my observations and impressions, nothing beats trying them out yourself. If you make the trek to the super billiards expo, both cues will be on display for you to give them a spin.

I don’t understand what your talking about grit and chalk dust. My Revo 12.4 feels smoother than any wood shaft I’ve ever used. I hate using powder and don’t use a glove, don’t need one with the Revo. I play in New Orleans so it’s not dry here. I think I wiped the shaft down twice in four months with a slightly damp paper towel. I don’t think it needed it, I don’t know why I did it.

I never tried the BeCue but if the largest diameter is 12, I wouldn’t be interested. Black vs white, I don’t know. The black just doesn’t bother me. It looks cool to me.

wrickyb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Lyn,

I just emailed BeCue and asked them if they were going to be at SBE. I included a link to the SBE website. Fingers crossed. I'll hit you back with whatever their response is. Thanx for mentioning BeCue, as I had never heard of them before. I checked out their website and it does seem they have invented a better mouse trap...then again, it just may be someone has invented better sales marketing.

http://www.becueofficial.com/

Hi this is Ricky Bryant, USABecueOfficial@gmail.com I will have the Becue at the Professor Q Ball booth #775 and a table at the booth for people to try the cues. I will have both shafts, extension and the Dark Matter break cue with 2 tip types, Samsera tip and one with phenolic. Plus there may be some new items :)

Ricky Bryant

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry could not meet

Hi this is Ricky Bryant, USABecueOfficial@gmail.com I will have the Becue at the Professor Q Ball booth #775 and a table at the booth for people to try the cues. I will have both shafts, extension and the Dark Matter break cue with 2 tip types, Samsera tip and one with phenolic. Plus there may be some new items :)

Ricky Bryant

I wanted to meet with Ricky last week when he was in TX but it didn't work
out. A side by side comparison would be great. The color of the Becue is
more appealing to me and if it has a more solid sound like Hawaiian Eye
describes that would for me be a huge factor. The thing I don't like is not
being able to purchase the shaft alone. Hawaiian Eye said when commenting
on how solid the Becue hit that maybe since the butt was also CF that
had something to do with it. I understand that the Becue shaft is not sold
separately, you must purchase the whole cue. Is that correct ? If so you
don't have much to choose from. With the REVO , Predator has a lot of
cues to choose from or as long as you have a butt with the correct insert
you're okay.
jack

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
everything about becue company outside their actual products is pretty bad, marketing, distribution, website, etc.....

I can see them selling out soon enough to another company that can run with their technology

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
everything about becue company outside their actual products is pretty bad, marketing, distribution, website, etc.....

I can see them selling out soon enough to another company that can run with their technology

Dealing with them is impressive - some of the best customer service I've experienced.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wanted to meet with Ricky last week when he was in TX but it didn't work
out. A side by side comparison would be great. The color of the Becue is
more appealing to me and if it has a more solid sound like Hawaiian Eye
describes that would for me be a huge factor. The thing I don't like is not
being able to purchase the shaft alone. Hawaiian Eye said when commenting
on how solid the Becue hit that maybe since the butt was also CF that
had something to do with it. I understand that the Becue shaft is not sold
separately, you must purchase the whole cue. Is that correct ? If so you
don't have much to choose from. With the REVO , Predator has a lot of
cues to choose from or as long as you have a butt with the correct insert
you're okay.
jack

Jack,

You don't need a lot to choose from. The "Naked" cue is all anybody needs. It is the same as the others, but isn't painted real fancy. It actually looks kind of "high tech" with the carbon fiber grain showing on it.

And I think the carbon fiber butt probably makes the shaft hit better than it would with a wooden butt on it.

LWD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually, you CAN purchase the shaft alone without the butt. The problem is that they use a proprietary pin so you cannot just use the shaft with an existing butt. The pin is not all that exotic. It is just a standard 10mm 1.5 thread pin. In fact, I made myself a set of joint protectors for my BeCue just using a standard bolt from my local Ace Hardware and a standard 10mm 1.5 tap.

Also, I am fairly sure that if you ask them they will probably sell you an uncored shaft so you can have whatever pin inserted that you need.

I will just tell you that buying the shaft without the butt and using it with a traditional wooden shaft defeats half the purpose of the cue design. It won’t hit the same without the carbon fiber butt. The fact that the whole cue is carbon fiber and not just the shaft is the big advantage the BeCue has over the Revo.

BTW, they have some of the most friendly and accommodating customer service I have experienced in the billiard industry.

Last edited:

Tony Longoni

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jack

i have both, and use both. here is my opinion. The Becue has a much better feel to it. I think it hits a lot more solid and grabs the ball better. However, i do believe the Becue has slightly more deflection. its not a lot, i only notice it on longer shots using a lot of english. the finish on the Becue is not as smooth as the Revo, but i dont find it to be an issue and i dont wear a glove. If you are located anywhere near South Jersey i would be happy to help you shoot with both to test them out. i can also help you order a becue with a bit of a discount if you choose too, as i am a reseller for them. - Tony

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think some of the Becue's "hit" is because it has a butt made of carbon fiber, too.

There are also two different types of shafts for the Becue. A pro taper (the Prime) with a 12mm tip and a conical taper (the 5.1) with an 11.8mm tip. I prefer the pro taper because I use a closed bridge. That is also the reason I use a glove with it. The Becue shaft is smooth but it isn't as "slick" as the REVO shaft because the Becue shaft is coated with aviation paint.

I'm sure other people will prefer the REVO, but they are both good shafts.

The reason I bought the Becue is because I had a chance to play both cues before I bought one. I, actually, played the REVO first and thought it was okay, but I didn't ever think about buying one. When I played with the Becue, I thought it played better than the REVO and I toyed with the idea of buying one, but I already had too many cues. When a friend of mine offered me the one I have for a price I couldn't refuse, I jumped on it and am glad I did. When I got it, the cue came with the 5.1 shaft and I bought the Prime shaft a couple months later, when it came out.
So Becue only offers a 12mm and an 11.8mm tip? Seems like they would offer a shaft/tip option something more in the 12.5mm range for those of us that prefer not such a skinny shaft/tip?

Last edited:

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member

This fella does a demonstration and compares it to graphite by saying it doesnt get sticky and feels like wood but its not, then says it moves out of the way just like wood and has that flex to it. Whats the selling point here, the fact it dont get them little dents and dings and you dont have to clean it as often lol?? Has anyone came to a final conclusion as to what the absolute advantage of the Revo over a wood LD shaft is, when it comes to pocketing balls? Surely people arent spending $600 on these because they want to avoid maintenance and the fact theyll stay dead straight forever.

Last edited:

Pacecar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A "low-deflection" shaft is really a shaft that produces low squirt of the cue ball. It's a mistake to call shaft performance as LD. Low squirt shafts actually deflect more than the old maple shafts, but this greater shaft deflection causes less cue ball squirt.
I wish we would quit using the term LD, because it confuses so many.