Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > 14.1 Pool
Reload this Page Schmidty back at it, this time in CA
Page 4 of 7 « First 234 56 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#46)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

05-17-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maldito View Post
Yrs ago someone told me that Mosconi was not in a match with anyone when he made his high run but got on a table that had given him some problems and started shooting and the rest is history.
That may have been the private practice run that Charlie Ursitti saw. I think it is not eligible for any kind of record. It would be in competition with Cranfield's practice run.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#47)
alstl
AzB Silver Member
alstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

05-17-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klone View Post
Search for ďMr400 SchmidtĒ on YouTube.
490 not on there yet. I'm looking forward to watching that.

Old
  (#48)
mikemosconi
AzB Silver Member
mikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond repute

05-17-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm View Post
Not sure whether to take this post seriously or not, as John hasn't outclassed his own generation at 14.1 in competitive play.

Competitively, in this generation, John has fewer credentials than guys like Hohmann, Feijen Souquet and Ortmann at 14.1. Hohmann is, by a country mile, the best of this generation in competitive play, but I think Willie would have beaten him easily, and Sigel would have been too much for Hohmann, too.

What about right now? Even in the high run portion of the 2019 Derby City event, John ran fewer than each of Filler, Orcullo and Melling, not one of whom you'd call a serious 14.1 player. He then lost in the quarterfinals to Mika Immonen.

John is a very fine 14.1 player whose pedigree will be remembered for a long long time, but Mosconi mass produced 150 and out games in competition. To my knowledge, John hasn't done it even once, although I've not attended every single 14.1 event in which John has participated, so I could be mistaken.

John, defined by his obsession with practice runs rather than with competitive excellence, is the Babe Cranfield of this era, not the Willie Mosconi. In fact, in this generation, nobody, Hohmann included, is the Mosconi.
You summed it all up in your last sentence. As your first sentence states- any post comparing Schmidt to Mosconi cannot be taken seriously.

Old
  (#49)
pt109
WO double hemlock

pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

05-17-2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by measureman View Post
Babe Cranfield was one of the great practice players.
Not that great in competition.
I think he had a little dog in him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm View Post
Not sure whether to take this post seriously or not, as John hasn't outclassed his own generation at 14.1 in competitive play.

Competitively, in this generation, John has fewer credentials than guys like Hohmann, Feijen Souquet and Ortmann at 14.1. Hohmann is, by a country mile, the best of this generation in competitive play, but I think Willie would have beaten him easily, and Sigel would have been too much for Hohmann, too.

What about right now? Even in the high run portion of the 2019 Derby City event, John ran fewer than each of Filler, Orcullo and Melling, not one of whom you'd call a serious 14.1 player. He then lost in the quarterfinals to Mika Immonen.

John is a very fine 14.1 player whose pedigree will be remembered for a long long time, but Mosconi mass produced 150 and out games in competition. To my knowledge, John hasn't done it even once, although I've not attended every single 14.1 event in which John has participated, so I could be mistaken.

John, defined by his obsession with practice runs rather than with competitive excellence, is the Babe Cranfield of this era, not the Willie Mosconi. In fact, in this generation, nobody, Hohmann included, is the Mosconi.
Gotta stick up for the Babe here....pool was his hobby.
He managed to win the US Junior, the US Amateur, and the World pro 14.1 in his spare time.
He was in the Airforce for WWII and worked for Muzak for 40 years.

You think maybe if he played full time as a professional, he mightíve left an even bigger
footprint in the game?

I feel honored that I had a long conversation with him...he was 80, but still sharp.
...and Iím happy to have a print by Leroy Neiman of a scene where he is leading Lassiter
....presumably for the World title.

Pool history is littered with great players who died poor and disillusioned...
...the Babe had it all

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#50)
maldito
AzB Silver Member
maldito has a reputation beyond reputemaldito has a reputation beyond reputemaldito has a reputation beyond reputemaldito has a reputation beyond reputemaldito has a reputation beyond reputemaldito has a reputation beyond reputemaldito has a reputation beyond reputemaldito has a reputation beyond reputemaldito has a reputation beyond reputemaldito has a reputation beyond reputemaldito has a reputation beyond repute

05-17-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLarge View Post
For Mosconi's 526, it is well documented that it was in one of his regular exhibition matches with an opponent (Earl Bruney). He purportedly had higher runs in practice, without an opponent.
Ok thanx - clears that up

The toughest shot on the table is the one you just missed......Myron Zownir

I've been watching guys tilt the rack before you were born ... Earl Strickland

Even If Donald Trump wins all of the toss up States He can't win ...... Rachel Madow

Kamala Harris ÖÖÖÖ. would you ??

Old
  (#51)
Poolmanis
AzB Silver Member
Poolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond repute

05-17-2019, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiard dave 7 View Post
I understand that John is playing cue ball fouls only. Still great runs, but suspect for records.
I believe he does that because some peoples flame about possible fouls from video. That is just for making attempts little bit more relaxing. IMHO of course.

-special man for a special shots-
Straight Pool addict
My Snooker 147 with Pool Cue https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRtIEF_vL0A
HOW TO RUN RACKS IN 14.1 - Livestreamed with 103 run.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgnCaoYpzaM

Old
  (#52)
sjm
Sweating the 2017 Mosconi
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 525

05-17-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolmanis View Post
I believe he does that because some peoples flame about possible fouls from video. That is just for making attempts little bit more relaxing. IMHO of course.
I think it's perfectly acceptable to play cue ball fouls only in an exhibition.

Old
  (#53)
wrldpro
H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
wrldpro has a reputation beyond reputewrldpro has a reputation beyond reputewrldpro has a reputation beyond reputewrldpro has a reputation beyond reputewrldpro has a reputation beyond reputewrldpro has a reputation beyond reputewrldpro has a reputation beyond reputewrldpro has a reputation beyond reputewrldpro has a reputation beyond reputewrldpro has a reputation beyond reputewrldpro has a reputation beyond repute

05-17-2019, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLarge View Post
For Mosconi's 526, it is well documented that it was in one of his regular exhibition matches with an opponent (Earl Bruney). He purportedly had higher runs in practice, without an opponent.
Correct. He had said he ran over 600 balls 3 times but considered it practice only so he didn't consider much to these runs. Here is a great audio link from the greatest Mosconi Historian to live Charlie Ursitti. Here Charlie witnessed Mosconi run a 589 on a 9ft Gold Crown table.

copy and paste this link.
https://www.facebook.com/mr3cushion/...42760693483993

"Justis Cases the Choice of Champions Cuemakers & Collectors"

Efren Allison EddieTaylor StevieMoore, VanBoening Orcullo LeeVan Corteza Bustamante Alcano Jeanette Lee GaYoungkim Souquet Hopkins Archer,Buddy

Szamboti,Searing,Scruggs,Tonkin

Will Prout,TheGlenns,Kerner,Tikkler

And many more that trust to protect their cues traveling the world to make a living & protect all their high end constructed cues & investments.
.www.americanmadematters.com/index.php[/url]

Old
  (#54)
ctyhntr
RIP Ginky
ctyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond repute

05-18-2019, 10:58 AM

In addition to Willie, others claimed higher runs. I heard Mike Eufemia ran 625 at Logan's Billiard Academy in Brooklyn, back in 1960. Other than himself, there were no witnesses who saw the entire run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maldito View Post
Ok thanx - clears that up

My ego is writing checks that my stroke can't cash.

Old
  (#55)
kaznj
AzB Silver Member
kaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond repute

05-19-2019, 05:42 AM

Does anyone know if John is getting sponsored for this? Is someone offering a prize?

Old
  (#56)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

05-19-2019, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaznj View Post
Does anyone know if John is getting sponsored for this? Is someone offering a prize?
I think he is getting help from the room, Sardo, Predator and maybe a couple of other companies and there is some kind of bonus for personal or world records.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#57)
Mick
AzB Silver Member
Mick has a reputation beyond reputeMick has a reputation beyond reputeMick has a reputation beyond reputeMick has a reputation beyond reputeMick has a reputation beyond reputeMick has a reputation beyond reputeMick has a reputation beyond reputeMick has a reputation beyond reputeMick has a reputation beyond reputeMick has a reputation beyond reputeMick has a reputation beyond repute

05-19-2019, 06:53 AM

He should be getting sponsored by taom chalk. After what he had to say about it, it made me think about trying it.

Old
  (#58)
Poolmanis
AzB Silver Member
Poolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond repute

05-19-2019, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
He should be getting sponsored by taom chalk. After what he had to say about it, it made me think about trying it.
Yes. That would help him. practically no bad contacts. I Have been using Taom over year now and never going back. Our private room gonna get Taom for every table because no mess. Tables stay a lot cleaner.

Straight Pool addict

Old
  (#59)
Poolmanis
AzB Silver Member

05-24-2019, 02:32 AM

John Schmidt shared thought about Taom on FB

The taom pyro chalk is truly unreal.
I have played 12 days with it.
It doesnít transfer from tip to cueball.
Cueball is spotless after playing all day and itís not getting on cloth. The first piece would barely get on cloth.
This second piece is not getting on cloth.
First piece was almost worn out but loaned to me .
Iíve had like two miscues in two weeks and one skid.

Iím absolutely blown away by this chalk.
Itís perfect and what Iíve been looking for for a decade. Iíll have 100 pieces of it soon and Iíll easily sell them all.

The chalk will sell itself after buyers see what I just said is true. Iím using a outsville tip and the taom pyro chalk. Unreal results. No skids because chalk isnít getting on balls, no miscues because it stays on tip, and doesnít shock off at impact. Maybe other chalks work as well and this will be motor oil debate.

Iím pretty good experiment. Iíve played on same table, cloth , balls, tip and chalk for 13 straight days . This chalk is amazing flat out amazing

He is now sponsored by Taom

Straight Pool addict

Old
  (#60)
measureman
AzB Silver Member
measureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1500

05-24-2019, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolmanis View Post
John Schmidt shared thought about Taom on FB

The taom pyro chalk is truly unreal.
I have played 12 days with it.
It doesnít transfer from tip to cueball.
Cueball is spotless after playing all day and itís not getting on cloth. The first piece would barely get on cloth.
This second piece is not getting on cloth.
First piece was almost worn out but loaned to me .
Iíve had like two miscues in two weeks and one skid.

Iím absolutely blown away by this chalk.
Itís perfect and what Iíve been looking for for a decade. Iíll have 100 pieces of it soon and Iíll easily sell them all.

The chalk will sell itself after buyers see what I just said is true. Iím using a outsville tip and the taom pyro chalk. Unreal results. No skids because chalk isnít getting on balls, no miscues because it stays on tip, and doesnít shock off at impact. Maybe other chalks work as well and this will be motor oil debate.

Iím pretty good experiment. Iíve played on same table, cloth , balls, tip and chalk for 13 straight days . This chalk is amazing flat out amazing

[B]He is now sponsored by Taom[/B]
there you go.
follow the money.
not saying the chalk isnt good but.............................................

Playing cue- The Mighty Lucasi Cocobolo
Back up cue - Troy Downey

I woke up.
Triangles tips and Masters chalk are good enough.

The Truth: If you have a stroke the gear don't matter... If you don't have a stroke the gear won't help.
The above quote by Softshot

Page 4 of 7 « First 234 56 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: