Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page UBL: Why So Little Discussion?
Page 2 of 3 12 3

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
darmoose
Shutin@urhole is OVERATED
darmoose has a reputation beyond reputedarmoose has a reputation beyond reputedarmoose has a reputation beyond reputedarmoose has a reputation beyond reputedarmoose has a reputation beyond reputedarmoose has a reputation beyond reputedarmoose has a reputation beyond reputedarmoose has a reputation beyond reputedarmoose has a reputation beyond reputedarmoose has a reputation beyond reputedarmoose has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

05-20-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickin' Chicken View Post
watching the final match with the lady named Dani shooting for the team that won, it was a bit distressing to see a player with her skill having 3 Balls In Hand avail for her to use every game whenever she chose. The commentators at one point were saying she was a SL3 in another league (APA?) and they added that she didn't play like a 3 and so that brings up the distressing part for me. What always made leagues like APA so unappealing to me was the sandbagging so I'm wondering does UBL have some safeguard in place to keep sandbagging in check?

Again, I don't know the lady, Dani, and so she could have just been having an unusually good night. The commentators did also say, however, that she has a 10' snooker table at here house.

I could see some frustration in her opponent's body language who, btw, was a high SL who was eligible for 0 Balls In Hand
best,
brian kc
Handicaps are calculated automatically, no subjectiveness whatsoever. Everyone starts a a 3. If you win two matches in a row you go down 1bih. If you lose two matches in a row you go up 1bih. You might try to lose a bit to raise your handicap, but that may keep you from winning the league session or qualifying for the final big money tournament.

They said that there were some who tried to game the system, and they ended up not qualifying for the final big money event. So, as you attempt to sandbag you are working against yourself and your team.

Sounds like a hard system to beat to me.

Old
  (#17)
Nostroke
AzB Silver Member

Nostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 10475
  Send a message via MSN to Nostroke  
05-20-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichSchultz View Post
LJ lambasted me for having the audacity to ask where the money came from. Her response was, ďWho cares?Ē Well, I do.
Yeah after all Mike and Pool in general have such a great track record. Money talks BS Walks as they say. If this thing doesn't show income soon, it will be gone faster than Bonus Ball. Count on it.

Old
  (#18)
RiverCity
~Chuck Fields~
RiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond repute

05-20-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostroke View Post
Yeah after all Mike and Pool in general have such a great track record. Money talks BS Walks as they say. If this thing doesn't show income soon, it will be gone faster than Bonus Ball. Count on it.
Shhhhhhh the short sighted greedy folks who only care about a payday and not any kind of future dont want to hear about your high and mighty reality and all of its implications.

You naysayer you.

I don't like making plans for the day, because then the word "premeditated" gets thrown around in the courtroom.
Player: Custom Full Splice
Breaker: Poison
Case: JB Cases

Last edited by RiverCity; 05-21-2019 at 01:01 PM. Reason: spelling

Old
  (#19)
sbpoolleague
Banned
sbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond repute

05-22-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickin' Chicken View Post
What do you all think?
My Spidey detector smells a Scam with a capital S

Old
  (#20)
Positively Ralf
AzB Silver Member
Positively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond repute

05-22-2019, 11:06 AM

Given the reaction from people here and others around the web, I get the feeling they just want it to fail for whatever reasons they have. Maybe it's because they only think of Mike Sigel as being an associate of Kevin Tredau(sp?)

hmmm
Old
  (#21)
Drop The Rock
1652nd on AZ Money List
Drop The Rock has a reputation beyond reputeDrop The Rock has a reputation beyond reputeDrop The Rock has a reputation beyond reputeDrop The Rock has a reputation beyond reputeDrop The Rock has a reputation beyond reputeDrop The Rock has a reputation beyond reputeDrop The Rock has a reputation beyond reputeDrop The Rock has a reputation beyond reputeDrop The Rock has a reputation beyond reputeDrop The Rock has a reputation beyond reputeDrop The Rock has a reputation beyond repute

hmmm - 05-22-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbpoolleague View Post
My Spidey detector smells a Scam with a capital S
Ol Captain Hook had another league a few years back, anybody know what happened to that?

Mathers

Proud Dad, Struggling Pool Player

Old
  (#22)
AtLarge
AzB Gold Member
AtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond repute

05-22-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop The Rock View Post
Ol Captain Hook had another league a few years back, anybody know what happened to that?
The prior iteration of Sigel's BIH-handicapping league (with a planned $250,000 first prize) was called the Global Pool Players Association (GPPA), announced back in 2013: https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=338485

Here are a couple of posts by Scott Lee, in 2017 from that same thread, as to what became of the league.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Lee View Post
... Mike was "kicked out" of the new league by the owners. He has no financial interest in the GPPL. The owners (in Vegas) sold the league to one of their area directors in TX. That person has decided to put the league on hold, for the time being.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Lee View Post
The league played only one session, played by a few dozen teams in several states. The winning teams were paid some money. 1st Place was by a team out of Corner Pocket Billiards in Largo FL (where I live and play out of). They won $10,000. 2nd and 3rd got $5k and $3K IIRC. Sigel was there to personaly "present" the checks to the winners. I was present too, and all Mike cared about was getting interviewed by the local tv station...they didn't show up. LOL

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Old
  (#23)
RiverCity
~Chuck Fields~
RiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond repute

05-22-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLarge View Post
The prior iteration of Sigel's BIH-handicapping league (with a planned $250,000 first prize) was called the Global Pool Players Association (GPPA), announced back in 2013: https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=338485

Here are a couple of posts by Scott Lee, in 2017 from that same thread, as to what became of the league.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTJY5l872GA

If that video doesnt help people understand the snake oil salesman aspect of Sigel, maybe this one will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqOnOQTuVRQ

I don't like making plans for the day, because then the word "premeditated" gets thrown around in the courtroom.
Player: Custom Full Splice
Breaker: Poison
Case: JB Cases

Old
  (#24)
youngstownkid
AzB Silver Member
youngstownkid has a reputation beyond reputeyoungstownkid has a reputation beyond reputeyoungstownkid has a reputation beyond reputeyoungstownkid has a reputation beyond reputeyoungstownkid has a reputation beyond reputeyoungstownkid has a reputation beyond reputeyoungstownkid has a reputation beyond reputeyoungstownkid has a reputation beyond reputeyoungstownkid has a reputation beyond reputeyoungstownkid has a reputation beyond reputeyoungstownkid has a reputation beyond repute

05-22-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhilton777 View Post
Mark (youngstownkid) was on the team that won. He might chime in.

I deposited my check yesterday. The BIHs are there to facilitate run outs. The idea of the league it to turn anyone into a run out player. Itís different and I felt pretty silly taking BIHs at first. Then I got over it and decided I would master it, but as you might have seen it didnít help my break .

"That kid right there shoots straighter than (bleepin') Robin Hood."

"Look, boss, I only got one rule. And that's never bet money that you don't have on a dog race with an ex-girlfriend who happens to be a stripper."

Old
  (#25)
gregnice37
Bar Banger, Cue Collector
gregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond repute

05-22-2019, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngstownkid View Post
I deposited my check yesterday. The BIHs are there to facilitate run outs. The idea of the league it to turn anyone into a run out player. Itís different and I felt pretty silly taking BIHs at first. Then I got over it and decided I would master it, but as you might have seen it didnít help my break .
Congratulations on the big money regardless of how your break went lol. That's a lot of money each no matter how you won.

Old
  (#26)
sjm
Sweating the 2017 Mosconi
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 525

05-22-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngstownkid View Post
Well done! Congratulations.

Old
  (#27)
Beelzebubba
AzB Silver Member
Beelzebubba has a reputation beyond reputeBeelzebubba has a reputation beyond reputeBeelzebubba has a reputation beyond reputeBeelzebubba has a reputation beyond reputeBeelzebubba has a reputation beyond reputeBeelzebubba has a reputation beyond reputeBeelzebubba has a reputation beyond reputeBeelzebubba has a reputation beyond reputeBeelzebubba has a reputation beyond reputeBeelzebubba has a reputation beyond reputeBeelzebubba has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to Beelzebubba Send a message via Yahoo to Beelzebubba  
06-11-2019, 09:33 AM

After playing the first session of UBL, I'm a big fan of it. I'll try to address all of the questions of this thread in one post since I have experienced it first hand. A lot of people have their opinions about it, but most of those have never played it or won't even give it a chance. How can you tell someone what a Coca Cola tastes like if you've never tried it yourself?

I had 14 teams out of my bar play UBL for this past session. Five teams made the playoffs & two made it to Chattanooga. I was lucky enough to be on both of those teams. And each of those two teams were totally different skill wise. One had five 0s & a 5. The other had one 0 & and assortment from a 1-4.

Starting the session off was a little frustrating. But after a couple weeks, everybody caught on on how to use the app & how to play. After that it was fun, exciting & went very smooth. The best part was the playoffs, in my opinion.

Where the money comes from is not top secret. There are investors involved. They will take a loss for the beginning, just like in any other business. NO business starts off in the positive. The investors understand that. They will continue on for a few years regardless of what happens. And I don't understand why this is such a big deal to people. Everybody got paid. ALL checks cleared. There were NO issues with the money. I came out with over $13k. That's between my monthly commission for hosting it in my bar, being on two teams that came out 3rd & 4th in nationals & the bar prize money for the teams that cashed. That's not bad for a 16 week session.

As far as APA's resistance, read this thread on what they tried to do to me. Keep in mind, at one point I had close to 60 APA teams playing out of my room. https://www.facebook.com/bubba.bourq...14817662368396

Last edited by Beelzebubba; 06-11-2019 at 09:41 AM.

Old
  (#28)
Beelzebubba
AzB Silver Member
Beelzebubba has a reputation beyond reputeBeelzebubba has a reputation beyond reputeBeelzebubba has a reputation beyond reputeBeelzebubba has a reputation beyond reputeBeelzebubba has a reputation beyond reputeBeelzebubba has a reputation beyond reputeBeelzebubba has a reputation beyond reputeBeelzebubba has a reputation beyond reputeBeelzebubba has a reputation beyond reputeBeelzebubba has a reputation beyond reputeBeelzebubba has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to Beelzebubba Send a message via Yahoo to Beelzebubba  
06-11-2019, 09:36 AM

Once you play it, I would be very surprised if you don't like it. It grows on you very quickly & there's more safety play & strategy than in other leagues.

Old
  (#29)
kaznj
AzB Silver Member
kaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond repute

06-11-2019, 09:54 AM

I am going to give it a try. Starts at sandcastle in two weeks. In the last session two of the top players in this area dropped out after two weeks. An a player and an open level. They couldn't play safe because of ball in hand. If I played an open player I would get 3 or 4 ball in hand. He would zero. You cannot get ball in hand for the eight. But you can for the key ball
Your team gets $5000 for making to nationals. This covers expenses like air and hotel. This alone would make me happy. After that you can start making a profit or at least get weekly fees back.
The thing I find interesting is that the computer matches up the players. This prevents two players from facing off multiple times.

Old
  (#30)
Poolhall60561
AzB Silver Member
Poolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond repute

06-11-2019, 11:33 AM

One of the big problems with APA pool and all the rest of the handicap leagues is sloooowwwww play.
Maybe BIH will speed up the games.

Page 2 of 3 12 3

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: