Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Non Pool Related
Reload this Page Fan who scored Oakland A's contract with viral 96-mph pitch makes professional debut

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Fan who scored Oakland A's contract with viral 96-mph pitch makes professional debut
Old
  (#1)
Rybord
AzB Silver Member
Rybord has a reputation beyond reputeRybord has a reputation beyond reputeRybord has a reputation beyond reputeRybord has a reputation beyond reputeRybord has a reputation beyond reputeRybord has a reputation beyond reputeRybord has a reputation beyond reputeRybord has a reputation beyond reputeRybord has a reputation beyond reputeRybord has a reputation beyond reputeRybord has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1500

Fan who scored Oakland A's contract with viral 96-mph pitch makes professional debut - 08-19-2019, 03:11 PM

Fan who scored Oakland A's contract with viral 96-mph pitch makes professional debut

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/fan-o...al-pitch-debut

Nathan Patterson, 23, took the mound Thursday for the first time as a minor leaguer and whiffed all three batters he faced, USA Today reported Sunday.

“I’m not gonna lie, the nerves were flowing until I threw strike one," Patterson said on Instagram the next day. “After that, I took a big deep breathe (sic) and realized all the hard work over the last year has prepared me for this moment."

The A’s took notice of Patterson’s video of his 96-mph pitch at a Colorado Rockies game on July 15. The viral video attracted more than 700,000 views.

In a month's time, Patterson has gone from a software salesman who believed his playing days had ended in high school to major league prospect, according to the Kansas City Star.

His debut for the Athletics Gold came in the first inning of a game in the rookie-level Arizona League against a Cubs team. His strikeout victims all went down swinging, the Star reported.

Patterson called his first professional outing "incredible and truly a blessing.”

Old
  (#2)
Sofla
AzB Silver Member
Sofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

08-19-2019, 03:33 PM

viral 96-mph pitch

That IS sick!!!

The point of modern propaganda isn't only to misinform or push an agenda. It is to exhaust your critical thinking, to annihilate truth.

― Garry Kasparov

... the line separating good and evil passes not through states, nor between classes, nor between political parties either -- but right through every human heart -- and through all human hearts.

― Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn

Old
  (#3)
sixpack
AzB Silver Member

sixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond repute

08-19-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofla View Post
viral 96-mph pitch

That IS sick!!!
Viral...sick... I see what you did there!

Splitting time between Chicago and San Francisco.

"If voting made any difference they wouldn't let us do it." - Mark Twain

Old
  (#4)
jimmyco
These go to 11
jimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond repute

08-19-2019, 06:00 PM

Let's remember that 96 MPH pitch happened at Coors Field, a mile high.

It's not like that guy who blazed one 96 MPH in Nashville earlier.

Oh wait, same guy!

*Sarcasm for the benefit of the naysayers.

Hope he makes The Show.

Player-Bob Owen Custom
Breaker-N.E. O'Barqueue
Case-Rusty Melton 1x2

Old
  (#5)
WGDave
AzB Silver Member
WGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond repute

08-19-2019, 07:03 PM

His story is much more remarkable than this article presents.

He had not played organized baseball since he was a junior in HS, and that was only at the JV level.

He suffered an avulsion fracture to his right throwing elbow between his junior and senior year. He did not play his senior year, and was not able to find a junior college to take him on the baseball team.

He dropped out of junior college to start a landscaping business with a friend. Mowing lawns six days a week only lasted a year,

If you have a subscription to The Athletic, just search his name for his full story.

If you do not have a subscription to The Athletic, I HIGHLY recommend it if you enjoy reading about sports, both local to you, national, and international.

Use a search engine to find an article, start reading it until you hit the pay wall, then look for a discount. I was able to get 50% off the first year ($30.00 after discount). Do not settle for the 30% discount; wait until you get a 50% code.

The journalism is top notch.

In order to continue advancing their illogical arguments modern liberals have to pretend not to know things…

Old
  (#6)
Sofla
AzB Silver Member
Sofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond repute

08-20-2019, 02:34 PM

Someone showing up basically out of nowhere with such major league fastball speed is an astounding story, and something more like a movie.

He'll need more than that heater to make and stay in the majors, of course. I'm rooting for him!

The point of modern propaganda isn't only to misinform or push an agenda. It is to exhaust your critical thinking, to annihilate truth.

― Garry Kasparov

... the line separating good and evil passes not through states, nor between classes, nor between political parties either -- but right through every human heart -- and through all human hearts.

Old
  (#7)
ChicagoRJ
EEEEEXCELLENT ;)
ChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond repute

08-20-2019, 02:41 PM

Throwing 96mph with a little running start. Throwing 95 plus is a dime a dozen in the pro's these days. The chance that he makes it to the show is very unlikely.

And I guarantee you he signed for peanuts. If you are not signed in the first round you are in the last round

But, hey, it beats the HELL out of landscaping Hope he has fun and becomes a coach or something one day.

RUSSIAN Magic Chalk - "The Best Chalk of the World"

TZAR Tips now available.

"I have been playing pool for 60 years and started using Kamui about four years ago. I tried Magic Chalk several months ago and will use it from now on" - jrhendy - Noted Player and Gambler

Baltic BLUE & Chernobyl GREEN

Check us out in "For Sale" section on AZB

ChicagoRJ, the Minister of Truth and Magic Chalk. - WGDave

Old
  (#8)
Kimmo
AzB Silver Member
Kimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25
 Send a message via ICQ to Kimmo Send a message via MSN to Kimmo Send a message via Skype™ to Kimmo 
08-22-2019, 05:07 AM

Troy Williams from NY was visiting Finland 2015 to get to know the Finnish Pesäpallo....a version of baseball played there and was surprised about the throwing speeds of the Finnish players....the random game he visited he had a radar-gun with him and clocked one guy throwing on average about 94-95 mph with a high of 96.9mph.
He was quoted to say that he would not be suprirsed if in some years there would be Finnish players entertaining a chance to play in MLB.

The ball in Finnish pesäpallo ist a little bit heavier but smaller than in baseball

baseball: between 5 and 5 1⁄4 ounces and is 9 to 9 1⁄4 inches in circumference)
pesäpallo: between 5.6 and 5.8 ounces and is 8 1/2 and 8 3/4 inches in circumference)

Don't try to add days to your life, add life to your days! - This message is environmentally friendly...it has been written in it's entirety with recycled bits and bytes.

Name: Kimmo
Playing cue: Predator P3/314², ~20oz + KamuiBlack SS
Break cue: Predator BK2
Jump: Custom
Nationality: Finnish
Hours of pool per week: Hours?? As in PLURAL? You've got to be kidding me...I've got 3 kids!

Old
  (#9)
ChicagoRJ
EEEEEXCELLENT ;)
ChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond repute

08-22-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmo View Post
Troy Williams from NY was visiting Finland 2015 to get to know the Finnish Pesäpallo....a version of baseball played there and was surprised about the throwing speeds of the Finnish players....the random game he visited he had a radar-gun with him and clocked one guy throwing on average about 94-95 mph with a high of 96.9mph.
He was quoted to say that he would not be suprirsed if in some years there would be Finnish players entertaining a chance to play in MLB.

The ball in Finnish pesäpallo ist a little bit heavier but smaller than in baseball

pesäpallo: between 5.6 and 5.8 ounces and is 8 1/2 and 8 3/4 inches in circumference)
I'm pretty sure there will be as more folks play the game or one similar to the game. There is a German born player right now in the Majors. Plays for the Twins, but can't think of his name right now. Damn, we just played them too

RUSSIAN Magic Chalk - "The Best Chalk of the World"

TZAR Tips now available.

"I have been playing pool for 60 years and started using Kamui about four years ago. I tried Magic Chalk several months ago and will use it from now on" - jrhendy - Noted Player and Gambler

Baltic BLUE & Chernobyl GREEN

Check us out in "For Sale" section on AZB

ChicagoRJ, the Minister of Truth and Magic Chalk. - WGDave

Old
  (#10)
Smooth
AzB Silver Member
Smooth has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth has a reputation beyond repute

08-22-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmo View Post

if used as a closer, it could be a Finnish finish...

PT made me do it

Old
  (#11)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member
Chopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond repute

08-22-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGDave View Post
He suffered an avulsion fracture to his right throwing elbow between his junior and senior year.
Hence the fast ball.

They "tweaked" the tendon.

Remarkable journey against the odds for sure.

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"
Member of the world famous Lock Society

Cases I made: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=258632

Old
  (#12)
Sofla
AzB Silver Member

08-22-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth View Post

PT made me do it
Oooooooh, oof.

― Garry Kasparov

Old
  (#13)
Kimmo
AzB Silver Member
Kimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25
 Send a message via ICQ to Kimmo Send a message via MSN to Kimmo Send a message via Skype™ to Kimmo 
08-22-2019, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth View Post

PT made me do it
I thought that was trademarked already for Ice Hockey by Selänne, and is Markkanen for Chicago Bulls called the Finnisher or something like that...

Don't try to add days to your life, add life to your days! - This message is environmentally friendly...it has been written in it's entirety with recycled bits and bytes.

Name: Kimmo
Playing cue: Predator P3/314², ~20oz + KamuiBlack SS
Break cue: Predator BK2
Jump: Custom
Nationality: Finnish
Hours of pool per week: Hours?? As in PLURAL? You've got to be kidding me...I've got 3 kids!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: