Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Instruction & Ask the pros > Ask The Instructor
Reload this Page rhythm of the stroke...your thoughts
Page 7 of 7 « First 567

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#91)
mikemosconi
AzB Silver Member
mikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

04-06-2019, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranCrimi View Post
So what makes a person a 'natural' in sports? It's that hand-eye coordination thing they've got going called 'timing.' A natural athlete moves with great timing.

So those of you who feel like you want to work on your 'pause' in your stroke, I think it would be better if you think of it more in terms of developing your timing.
I agree with this statement 100% ALL great "natural" athletes and I mean ALL of them have ONE thing in common- every single one of them has the ability to have EXTREME FINAL Focus at the point of execution- as the golfer strikes the ball, as the batter swings at a pitch, as a basketball releases from the hand, as a tennis player releases the racket, etc. etc. IN billiards, as Max Eberle once described, and one of the very best pointers I ever heard on the game- you need to be visually present in the extreme to focus on the shot making, while INTERNALLY present to execute the correct stroke at the proper speed to bring the cue ball to the next desired position. Each person can work out their OWN mechanics to help achieve BOTH of those elements simultaneously, but it is always the most naturally gifted ones that will achieve this most consistently, hence they are the CHAMPS! If you are one of the majority who NEEDS to WORK on this to achieve it, then it is just a matter of discovering what method WORKS MOST CONSISTENTLY for you - that REQUIRES a lot of private time on the table to figure it out

Old
  (#92)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

04-06-2019, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemosconi View Post
I agree with this statement 100% ALL great "natural" athletes and I mean ALL of them have ONE thing in common- every single one of them has the ability to have EXTREME FINAL Focus at the point of execution
Yep. We used to say they play every shot like the match depends on it - and in a sense it always does.

Quote:
If you are one of the majority who NEEDS to WORK on this to achieve it, then it is just a matter of discovering what method WORKS MOST CONSISTENTLY for you - that REQUIRES a lot of private time on the table to figure it out
It's the main thing I work on.

pj <- getting there
chgo

Old
  (#93)
Island Drive
AzB Silver Member
Island Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

04-06-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranCrimi View Post
So what makes a person a 'natural' in sports? It's that hand-eye coordination thing they've got going called 'timing.' A natural athlete moves with great timing.

So those of you who feel like you want to work on your 'pause' in your stroke, I think it would be better if you think of it more in terms of developing your timing.
Was listening to the young announcers, not pros, talking about Shanes break speed/results compared to his peers in a match I just watched. They were trying to understand ''why'' he gets ALLOT more with the same forward speed. During this match, one time Shane made 6 balls, often 3 and twice 4 ''on the break''.

They were correct, his swing speed was about 80%....his results were over 100%. He's like a cat, who pounces/times their entire body weight on to one single target.

www.worldbilliardtour.com
Domain Name Only....

Bill Meacham

Old
  (#94)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

04-06-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Drive View Post
Was listening to the young announcers, not pros, talking about Shanes break speed/results compared to his peers in a match I just watched. They were trying to understand ''why'' he gets ALLOT more with the same forward speed. During this match, one time Shane made 6 balls, often 3 and twice 4 ''on the break''.

They were correct, his swing speed was about 80%....his results were over 100%. He's like a cat, who pounces/times their entire body weight on to one single target.
I don't think "getting body weight into" the shot has anything to do with the speed of the CB - the soft flesh of the hand prevents getting even the arm's weight into it. Might help with his stroke timing, though.

I think his main "trick" is standing up as he delivers the shot stroke, so he can use his whole arm propelled by his shoulder muscles.

pj
chgo

Page 7 of 7 « First 567

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: