Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page UBL: Why So Little Discussion?
Page 1 of 3 1 23

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
UBL: Why So Little Discussion?
Old
  (#1)
Kickin' Chicken
Kick Shot Afficionado
Kickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

Exclamation UBL: Why So Little Discussion? - 05-20-2019, 10:59 AM

I watched a little of a semi-final and some of the final last night including the end where Mike Seigel handed over $40k to the runners up (a wild card team, btw) and $100k to the winning team. That's a lotta dough for an amateur event.

The format is interesting; lots of BIH opportunities for the lower cap players.

Where all the prize money came from is top-secret-ish and we'll have to keep an eye on how this league progresses. I can imagine there will be a lot of resistance from apa.

Guess we'll have to stay tuned.

What do you all think?

best,
brian kc

"Don't let your alligator mouth overload your jaybird ass!" - my Father

"That was stronger than cat piss, right there." - Brandon Shuff

Playing cues: Tim Scruggs - Jeff Olney
Break cue: Predator BK2 w/White Diamond Tip
Jump cue: Jacoby/Lomax

Old
  (#2)
skip100
AzB Silver Member
skip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

05-20-2019, 11:01 AM

There are a couple threads where various arguments about the money and the rules have been discussed.

Probably just lots of people taking a wait and see approach, combined with very little firsthand exposure since the league is so small.

Old
  (#3)
gregnice37
Bar Banger, Cue Collector
gregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond repute

05-20-2019, 12:31 PM

Here is the facts about it for me personally.

Don't like how the handicap works with all the BIH's but if they going to continue with those payouts I might have to suck it up and play.

Old
  (#4)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
05-20-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregnice37 View Post
Here is the facts about it for me personally.

Don't like how the handicap works with all the BIH's but if they going to continue with those payouts I might have to suck it up and play.
Get in there...the $s gotta come from somewhere.

Old
  (#5)
mhilton777
AzB Silver Member
mhilton777 has a reputation beyond reputemhilton777 has a reputation beyond reputemhilton777 has a reputation beyond reputemhilton777 has a reputation beyond reputemhilton777 has a reputation beyond reputemhilton777 has a reputation beyond reputemhilton777 has a reputation beyond reputemhilton777 has a reputation beyond reputemhilton777 has a reputation beyond reputemhilton777 has a reputation beyond reputemhilton777 has a reputation beyond repute

05-20-2019, 12:39 PM

Mark (youngstownkid) was on the team that won. He might chime in.

Old
  (#6)
gregnice37
Bar Banger, Cue Collector
gregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond repute

05-20-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-Balled View Post
They kept saying investors. How long will investors keep putting that much in if they aren't making it back.

From what I heard during the Livestream is that this bonus tourney was just after 1 session. That was only for this session. From now on, the bonus tourney will be after 3 sessions, so 1 year worth of league, like most other leagues. Obviously if the league takes off like they are hopeing, there will be many more teams in the upcoming year, so it's going to be harder to most likely win that much.

They also waived fees to join this 1st session and the upcoming one, not sure what the fees will be when they start charging.

Old
  (#7)
noMoreSchon
AzB Silver Member
noMoreSchon has a reputation beyond reputenoMoreSchon has a reputation beyond reputenoMoreSchon has a reputation beyond reputenoMoreSchon has a reputation beyond reputenoMoreSchon has a reputation beyond reputenoMoreSchon has a reputation beyond reputenoMoreSchon has a reputation beyond reputenoMoreSchon has a reputation beyond reputenoMoreSchon has a reputation beyond reputenoMoreSchon has a reputation beyond reputenoMoreSchon has a reputation beyond repute

05-20-2019, 12:49 PM

Those BIH was a real tough spot to fade...I kind of enjoyed it. The money is extreme, and

if it keeps up we can see more in the future. If players do not get behind it, will be something

we talk about failing in the future. I do find it interesting that I have not heard more about it

on the forum.

Old
  (#8)
AtLarge
AzB Gold Member
AtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond repute

05-20-2019, 01:36 PM

I'm not a fan of any league or event that attempts to completely eliminate the gap between higher and lower skilled players. Partial handicaps are OK, as they allow the lesser skilled players to have a chance to win in any match, but leave it likely that the higher skilled players will have better records in the long run.

The United Billiard Leagues claims to use "a system that allows all people to compete on an equal level regardless of previous experience." Such a system would produce matches that are just coin flips, not true competition. A novice and a pro competing on "an equal level" is not a sports competition. Now, some people may enjoy participating in such a league as some form of entertainment. And some will join to try to win what amounts to a lottery. Have fun, but it's not for me.

As for the big money paid after that first session -- they are priming the pump.

Last edited by AtLarge; 05-20-2019 at 01:38 PM.

Old
  (#9)
Kickin' Chicken
Kick Shot Afficionado
Kickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond repute

05-20-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLarge View Post
I'm not a fan of any league or event that attempts to completely eliminate the gap between higher and lower skilled players. Partial handicaps are OK, as they allow the lesser skilled players to have a chance to win in any match, but leave it likely that the higher skilled players will have better records in the long run.

The United Billiard Leagues claims to use "a system that allows all people to compete on an equal level regardless of previous experience." Such a system would produce matches that are just coin flips, not true competition. A novice and a pro competing on "an equal level" is not a sports competition. Now, some people may enjoy participating in such a league as some form of entertainment. And some will join to try to win what amounts to a lottery. Have fun, but it's not for me.

As for the big money paid after that first session -- they are priming the pump.
watching the final match with the lady named Dani shooting for the team that won, it was a bit distressing to see a player with her skill having 3 Balls In Hand avail for her to use every game whenever she chose. The commentators at one point were saying she was a SL3 in another league (APA?) and they added that she didn't play like a 3 and so that brings up the distressing part for me. What always made leagues like APA so unappealing to me was the sandbagging so I'm wondering does UBL have some safeguard in place to keep sandbagging in check?

Again, I don't know the lady, Dani, and so she could have just been having an unusually good night. The commentators did also say, however, that she has a 10' snooker table at here house.

I could see some frustration in her opponent's body language who, btw, was a high SL who was eligible for 0 Balls In Hand
best,
brian kc

"Don't let your alligator mouth overload your jaybird ass!" - my Father

"That was stronger than cat piss, right there." - Brandon Shuff

Playing cues: Tim Scruggs - Jeff Olney
Break cue: Predator BK2 w/White Diamond Tip
Jump cue: Jacoby/Lomax

Old
  (#10)
Nostroke
AzB Silver Member

Nostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 10475
  Send a message via MSN to Nostroke  
05-20-2019, 03:11 PM

Were the checks cashed?

Old
  (#11)
bbb
AzB Silver Member

bbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond repute

05-20-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostroke View Post
Were the checks cashed?
lets wait until the checks clear the bank
jmho

Old
  (#12)
pt109
WO double hemlock

pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

05-20-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostroke View Post
Were the checks cashed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb View Post
lets wait until the checks clear the bank
jmho
UBL and the elephant in the room

Name:  FE024FE7-5538-4A2D-9D0A-4C480FCDAD4C.jpeg
Views: 747
Size:  49.5 KB

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#13)
one stroke
AzB Silver Member
one stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond repute

05-20-2019, 05:57 PM

Gaff game for sure kinda fits in today's views like the me too movement,, me too should have a handicap to win a big prize that I don't have to work hard for

Old
  (#14)
RiverCity
~Chuck Fields~
RiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond repute

05-20-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-Balled View Post
Stanley Ho.

I don't like making plans for the day, because then the word "premeditated" gets thrown around in the courtroom.
Player: Custom Full Splice
Breaker: Poison
Case: JB Cases

Old
  (#15)
RichSchultz
AzB Silver Member
RichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond repute

05-20-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt109 View Post
UBL and the elephant in the room

Attachment 520510
LJ lambasted me for having the audacity to ask where the money came from. Her response was, “Who cares?” Well, I do.

Page 1 of 3 1 23

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: