Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Gold Crown Barn Find
Page 3 of 21 123 4513 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
Lawnboy77
AzB Silver Member
Lawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

08-03-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realkingcobra View Post
Adjustable feet came out in 63' when Brunswick changed the aluminum foot mold. The capture nuts used to replace the fig 8 nut plate also changed early in the GC1 production years.
Thanks for the corrections Glen!

Old
  (#32)
xianmacx
AzB Silver Member
xianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond repute

08-03-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Don't know how many times I need to mention this, but the ONLY change in the GC1 to a GC2 was the bronze coated feet and ball tray trim. And the GC2 was ONLY available in a rosewood paint stained finish. Every single change other than those listed above happened on the GC1's first, including the switch from the plastic name plate to the metal one. Even the GC3's first came out with the GC1 casting mounting hardware design. You would be right 99% of the time calling every older GC you see or run across a GC1 as the 2 only came out from 74'-76'....and was rosewood paint stained....not white, Gold, Blue, or Orange painted....those colors were GC1's exclusively!!
I have a gc2 billiard table. the decal on the stretcher said gc2. I forgot to take a picture before I painted it though. As you mention it has bronze feet and was rosewood, otherwise indistinguishable from a gc1. I painted it and powder coated feet to make it look like a gc1.

Old
  (#33)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member
realkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5785

08-03-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexus31 View Post
Thanks for the feedback, Glen! In your opinion, is my find an all original GC1 down to the slate? What's your take on the Brustone vs slate debate?
Great find, and its Brunstone. You won't find any finish grinding marks on the surface anywhere.

Old
  (#34)
rexus31
AzB Silver Member
rexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 542

08-03-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Great find, and its Brunstone. You won't find any finish grinding marks on the surface anywhere.
Cool, thanks Glen!

"What 'aint no country I ever heard of. They speak English in What?" - Jules Winnfield

Old
  (#35)
rexus31
AzB Silver Member
rexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond repute

08-03-2019, 05:39 PM

Productive first day. I got the pedestals, runner and bal rack box prepped for spot prime and paint and also got the skirts primed. I hope to paint the pedestals and runner tomorrow.

"What 'aint no country I ever heard of. They speak English in What?" - Jules Winnfield

Old
  (#36)
rexus31
AzB Silver Member

08-03-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L I F D 1 View Post
Yes, show and tell all the way home.
Also, let us know what you're final thoughts are to do with the GC 1. (you do know you got lucky)

Are they Pro 8, or 9?
They are both 9'.

Old
  (#37)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member
realkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond repute

08-03-2019, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Productive first day. I got the pedestals, runner and bal rack box prepped for spot prime and paint and also got the skirts primed. I hope to paint the pedestals and runner tomorrow.

I get rid of that seam between the solid maple outer cap and the plywood paneling, it's so inconsistent in looks.
Attached Images

Old
  (#38)
rexus31
AzB Silver Member

08-03-2019, 06:33 PM

Quote:
I get rid of that seam between the solid maple outer cap and the plywood paneling, it's so inconsistent in looks.
Looks good!

Personal preference I suppose. I kinda like the seam.

Old
  (#39)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

08-03-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
My buddy (@pocket) and I stumbled upon a very cool find locally. We responded to an ad on Offer Up for a Gold Crown 1 for sale in a bowling alley 3 miles from my house. Upon reading the ad, they had two for sale for $1K each. Needless to say, we went to check them out. The tables were in what used to be the bar area of the bowling alley that had been drywalled off and under construction so the owner could lease it out as a standalone commercial space. The person selling them believed they were purchased new sometime in the early to mid '60's. We found them filthy with torn cloth but were complete for the most part except for one was missing the plastic skirts. I started negotiating with the seller (who was not the owner) and he immediately said he's authorized to sell them for $500 each but can't go lower. I explained to him they have good bones but are missing some pieces and it is going to take quite a bit of work to clean them up to make them playable and offered $300 each. He countered with $400 but would need approval from the owner. The approval came in short order and we were the proud owners of a pair of Gold Crown 1's for $400 each; less than the asking price for one. Upon tear down, it became evident these table were well cared for and had only been recovered once. The original tack marks and one set of staple marks in the slate backing can be seen in one of the pics below. Judging from that and the near pristine formica rail tops and counters, it appears these table have hardly been played on in some 50+ years. Now the fun begins. We both plan to extend the sub rails, new rubber and drop pockets and a cosmetic restoration. The aprons will be sprayed Brunswick Blue; shoutout to @Xianmacx for the paint codes as well as fielding countless questions on the topic of restoration/preservation. The pedestals, stringer, ball rack box and plastic skirts will sprayed Brunswick White. My buddy plans to keep his original and will respray everything Brunswick White.

I will update with pics throughout the course of the restoration leading up to final assembly.
You scored big time!

http://www.jayhelfert.com/ to order More Pool Wars

Old
  (#40)
rexus31
AzB Silver Member

08-03-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay helfert View Post
You scored big time!
Thanks, Jay! Yes, I (we) did!

Old
  (#41)
dnixon
AzB Silver Member
dnixon has a reputation beyond reputednixon has a reputation beyond reputednixon has a reputation beyond reputednixon has a reputation beyond reputednixon has a reputation beyond reputednixon has a reputation beyond reputednixon has a reputation beyond reputednixon has a reputation beyond reputednixon has a reputation beyond reputednixon has a reputation beyond reputednixon has a reputation beyond repute

08-03-2019, 07:34 PM

Nice find enjoy them

Old
  (#42)
detroitfan0877
AzB Silver Member
detroitfan0877 has a reputation beyond reputedetroitfan0877 has a reputation beyond reputedetroitfan0877 has a reputation beyond reputedetroitfan0877 has a reputation beyond reputedetroitfan0877 has a reputation beyond reputedetroitfan0877 has a reputation beyond reputedetroitfan0877 has a reputation beyond reputedetroitfan0877 has a reputation beyond reputedetroitfan0877 has a reputation beyond reputedetroitfan0877 has a reputation beyond reputedetroitfan0877 has a reputation beyond repute

08-03-2019, 08:33 PM

Quote:

Can you explain the process you used to prepare everything to be ready to paint?
I imagine you sanded everything down. What grit did you use?
Thanks for everything.

Old
  (#43)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member

08-03-2019, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Looks good!

Personal preference I suppose. I kinda like the seam.
Call me, I'll let you know what you need to change to make the process of assembling the table much better.

Glen 702-927-5689

Old
  (#44)
Ron Padilla
AzB Silver Member
Ron Padilla has a reputation beyond reputeRon Padilla has a reputation beyond reputeRon Padilla has a reputation beyond reputeRon Padilla has a reputation beyond reputeRon Padilla has a reputation beyond reputeRon Padilla has a reputation beyond reputeRon Padilla has a reputation beyond reputeRon Padilla has a reputation beyond reputeRon Padilla has a reputation beyond reputeRon Padilla has a reputation beyond reputeRon Padilla has a reputation beyond repute

08-03-2019, 09:24 PM

Yes you got a deal, I drove from TN to PA and back about a month and half a go for a GC 1 for a grand! it also has adjustable feet! the date of the casting should be on the bottom of the feet. I am taking my time on mine as I spoke with Glenn and will be adding metal braces under the sub frame, and mine also has the same rubber on the rails. My intent is to sand the sub frame and stain dark ( to match top rail looks) mine also has the brownstone slate! The one I bought came out of a closing down pool hall so it had lots of use and recovering, but right at the moment I cannot have the rubber redone and have not been able to devote much time, my wife just went through bilateral knee replacement so that has taken my time. Mine also came with a set of used top o the line Brunswick balls, 4 house cues, one looks to be an old school Duf along with 2 old school bridge sticks. Good luck with yours! As soon as my wife is home where I can take care of her here I plan to get back to work on mine.

Old
  (#45)
rexus31
AzB Silver Member

08-03-2019, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Call me, I'll let you know what you need to change to make the process of assembling the table much better.

Glen 702-927-5689
Thanks, Glen. I'll buzz you tomorrow.

Page 3 of 21 123 4513 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: