Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Former straight pool champions react to news of John Schmidt's 626
Page 3 of 8 123 45 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
jasonlaus
Rep for Smorg
jasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

09-19-2019, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls View Post
So many things better to be doing with my time...

How nice.

Well, let's go through these.

Thorsten Hohmann - a Candian
I really wish this person was here contributing and telling stories.
Darren Appleton - a Brit
I really should look into him more.

This is an American Legend topic. I have no idea why they feel they can chime in except to say congrats.

<fun>
On the order of are there "Russians" messing with domestic policy, here you go.
</fun>

Nick Varner
"I think this run should be accepted for what it is. It's not a game situation in either case."

I don't think he is agreeing as you want. Translated it means, it is "John's best-ever high run" or whatever but not related or linked to Mosconi. If he wants to beat Mosconi, he needs to do it the same way, as the end of a game and no bank shots.

Mike Sigel
Put me down as a fan. I just wish when they put a mic on him the would actually let us listen to what he is saying.

"I don't think this should be questioned at all. Give him the credit."

No this isn't something that should be questioned. The evidence should be so clear that there is no room to question any aspect. But there is no tangible public evidence to support his claim that he, in fact, ran 626 balls with strict adherence to the rules except a statement from the BCA. This isn't the Miss whatever title and we are going to "Give" it sally because she tries so hard to keep the weight off. This is something earned by doing something amazing. Not having a good day on your practice table under a lot of sketchy conditions.

If you want the credit for beating Mosconi, then you need to beat him on his own turf, 1 game, 1 chance, one long run until you miss, with a ref, a normal rack, right side of the table, Maple cue, Masters, same table dimensions, no 5 hour boost, on a table used by the public, with the same kind of felt, balls, and a licensed attorney with a Notary to make it all nice and legal just like happened to the Legend. Hec you might as well drive there that day and sleep in your car for a while before you start at 8:00 before 50 or so near-strangers that have assembled in advanced who are having a few "pops" and waiting to see the famous you play pool.

Good luck with that.

Bottom line, you can't "GIVE HIM" an achievement he didn't earn.
What really sucks(besides your attitude) is I cannot leave you Red Rep without leaving a comment because I'm on my phone.

Have a nice day

Old
  (#32)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member
realkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5785

09-19-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:

How nice.

Well, let's go through these.

Thorsten Hohmann - a Candian
I really wish this person was here contributing and telling stories.
Darren Appleton - a Brit
I really should look into him more.

This is an American Legend topic. I have no idea why they feel they can chime in except to say congrats.

<fun>
On the order of are there "Russians" messing with domestic policy, here you go.
</fun>

Nick Varner
"I think this run should be accepted for what it is. It's not a game situation in either case."

I don't think he is agreeing as you want. Translated it means, it is "John's best-ever high run" or whatever but not related or linked to Mosconi. If he wants to beat Mosconi, he needs to do it the same way, as the end of a game and no bank shots.

Mike Sigel
Put me down as a fan. I just wish when they put a mic on him the would actually let us listen to what he is saying.

"I don't think this should be questioned at all. Give him the credit."

No this isn't something that should be questioned. The evidence should be so clear that there is no room to question any aspect. But there is no tangible public evidence to support his claim that he, in fact, ran 626 balls with strict adherence to the rules except a statement from the BCA. This isn't the Miss whatever title and we are going to "Give" it sally because she tries so hard to keep the weight off. This is something earned by doing something amazing. Not having a good day on your practice table under a lot of sketchy conditions.

If you want the credit for beating Mosconi, then you need to beat him on his own turf, 1 game, 1 chance, one long run until you miss, with a ref, a normal rack, right side of the table, Maple cue, Masters, same table dimensions, no 5 hour boost, on a table used by the public, with the same kind of felt, balls, and a licensed attorney with a Notary to make it all nice and legal just like happened to the Legend. Hec you might as well drive there that day and sleep in your car for a while before you start at 8:00 before 50 or so near-strangers that have assembled in advanced who are having a few "pops" and waiting to see the famous you play pool.

Good luck with that.

Would you still feel the same if SVB had ran the 626, or is it that you just don't care for John Schmidt?

Oh it's worse then you thought on Thorsten Hohmann
Old
  (#33)
Balls
Big Brass Balls

Balls has a reputation beyond reputeBalls has a reputation beyond reputeBalls has a reputation beyond reputeBalls has a reputation beyond reputeBalls has a reputation beyond reputeBalls has a reputation beyond reputeBalls has a reputation beyond reputeBalls has a reputation beyond reputeBalls has a reputation beyond reputeBalls has a reputation beyond reputeBalls has a reputation beyond repute

Cool Oh it's worse then you thought on Thorsten Hohmann - 09-19-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realkingcobra View Post
Would you still feel the same if SVB had ran the 626, or is it that you just don't care for John Schmidt?
yes and I don't know John.

I also don't know who's on first and what's on second.

I use the Lucassi cue called the hitman that was endorsed by him.

I have to get back to my projects, Big meeting for me in a couple of hours and yesterday and my mind is there. Sorry for the confusion but even if he endorsed the cue I have grown to love, I am an American defending one of its legends and arguing amongst many that do not possess the same ethics.

SVB can't do it. lol.

BarBoxRules.com
Supporting Olympic dreams since 2009
I am no longer active in this forum.

Old
  (#34)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member
realkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond repute

09-19-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
yes and I don't know John.

I also don't know who's on first and what's on second.

I use the Lucassi cue called the hitman that was endorsed by him.

I have to get back to my projects, Big meeting for me in a couple of hours and yesterday and my mind is there. Sorry for the confusion but even if he endorsed the cue I have grown to love, I am an American defending one of its legends and arguing amongst many that do not possess the same ethics.

SVB can't do it. lol.
I guess you defended Babe Ruth's record from being beaten.....by another AMERICAN as well, right?

Old
  (#35)
erhino41
AzB Silver Member
erhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond repute

09-19-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:

Yet here you are.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Old
  (#36)
ChicagoRJ
EEEEEXCELLENT ;)
ChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond repute

09-19-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrctherake View Post

However, in some cases, it wouod be better to be eaten by ducks than to have to listen to the dribble of the jealous morons.
Jeff
now, now, Lou has feelings too lol

RUSSIAN Magic Chalk - "The Best Chalk of the World"

TZAR Tips now available.

"I have been playing pool for 60 years and started using Kamui about four years ago. I tried Magic Chalk several months ago and will use it from now on" - jrhendy - Noted Player and Gambler

Baltic BLUE & Chernobyl GREEN

Check us out in "For Sale" section on AZB

ChicagoRJ, the Minister of Truth and Magic Chalk. - WGDave

Old
  (#37)
erhino41
AzB Silver Member
erhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond repute

09-19-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyco View Post
That didn't take long at all.

It would be nice to read a thread about John where most, if not all of the posts are about John and what he has done.
What John did is amazing. I am very glad to hear from some well respected players who know what they are talking about. To the op thanks for sharing.

What John did doesn't erase Mosconi. You guys realize that right. You can still have your precious memories and celebrate a freakish achievement by another human being.

I don't care what minute detail you can dig out to make it seem like a walk in the park. You can't do it and neither has all but one and maybe a second person.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Old
  (#38)
rossaroni
AzB Gold Member
rossaroni has a reputation beyond reputerossaroni has a reputation beyond reputerossaroni has a reputation beyond reputerossaroni has a reputation beyond reputerossaroni has a reputation beyond reputerossaroni has a reputation beyond reputerossaroni has a reputation beyond reputerossaroni has a reputation beyond reputerossaroni has a reputation beyond reputerossaroni has a reputation beyond reputerossaroni has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 7175

09-19-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realkingcobra View Post
I guess you defended Babe Ruth's record from being beaten.....by another AMERICAN as well, right?
Sadly, some people did have an issue with Hank Aaron beating Ruth’s home run record. Death threats and all....a lot to do with his race.

I guess since Hank Aaron had around 4000 more at bats then Ruth, then his record doesn’t count.

Old
  (#39)
ctyhntr
RIP Ginky
ctyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond repute

09-19-2019, 09:56 AM

I saw Tony two weeks ago at his 14.1 Clinic at Amsterdam. One of the students in the class asked about John's record, and Tony was very happy to point out that the BCA has certified the record.

My ego is writing checks that my stroke can't cash.

Old
  (#40)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member

09-19-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossaroni View Post
Sadly, some people did have an issue with Hank Aaron beating Ruth’s home run record. Death threats and all....a lot to do with his race.

I guess since Hank Aaron had around 4000 more at bats then Ruth, then his record doesn’t count.
I've heard that ignorance is a blessing to some people, because without it, they would cease to exist!!!

Old
  (#41)
Maniac
2manyQ's
Maniac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

09-19-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm View Post
Well done, John. The respect of your peers means everything!
IMHO, I believe the fact that his peers believe he did it speaks volumes.

Has anyone heard a professional pool player cast doubt on the fact that he accomplished his feat? Anyone???

{crickets chirping}

I would bet that John Schmidt cares more about what his peers feel about his 626 ball run than any keyboard punching, half-a$$ed pool playing pool forum contributor does.

Maniac

Playing cues: 2 Larry Vigus 60" customs, Jacoby D11 w/314-2
Break/jump cues: Larry Vigus 60"dedicated break, Jerico Stinger, Jacoby jump cue
Cases: JB Ultimate Rugged 3x6, 2 Sterling Wave 4x8's, Sterling butterfly

"I try to think, but nothing happens!" Curly Howard

Old
  (#42)
Tony_in_MD
You want some of this?
Tony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond repute

09-19-2019, 10:16 AM

Yeah and he played in a smaller ball park too.

I heard all the excuses by the haters then. Guess it doesn't change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossaroni View Post

Tony Marcino - PBIA Instructor
Member of the SPF family of instructors
Background Verified
443-624-0912

"High quality fundamentals beats all of the high quality concepts and esoteric executions ever created." -- Bert Kinister

Old
  (#43)
td873
BCA PCA ABA
td873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1000

09-19-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
...and a licensed attorney with a Notary to make it all nice and legal just like happened to the Legend.

It's a record. Not a legal document. You don't need an act of congress to report that something happened.

As to your last statement, you are correct. You can't give him something he didn't earn. But, by your own logic, you should be able to recognize something he did accomplish. That is, even if you challenge the fact that he "beat" Mosconi, you cannot deny that he ran 626 balls, on camera.

-td

Black + Gilbert J/B
Justis
9' GC I/II [Diamond Specs] [Littman light]
Simonis HR [Tournament blue]
Aramith Pro Cup TV / Cyclop

Kudos for Mr. Schmidt
Old
  (#44)
wahcheck
AzB Silver Member
wahcheck has a reputation beyond reputewahcheck has a reputation beyond reputewahcheck has a reputation beyond reputewahcheck has a reputation beyond reputewahcheck has a reputation beyond reputewahcheck has a reputation beyond reputewahcheck has a reputation beyond reputewahcheck has a reputation beyond reputewahcheck has a reputation beyond reputewahcheck has a reputation beyond reputewahcheck has a reputation beyond repute

Kudos for Mr. Schmidt - 09-19-2019, 10:59 AM

Count me as one of the admirers of John Schmidt's feat; I also don't see anyone ever beating 626...although some may say "nothing is impossible"...

Congratulations to John Schmidt for attaining what seems to have been at least one of his life's goals.......it most certainly must've seemed like the "Impossible Dream...." ........ Maybe even more amazing to me is the number of times he attempted to do this and failed, after running 100-400 and more balls each time......(208 times, if I read right?) ....

I am very happy for him, and also that the BCA seems to have recognized this
feat, along with the Guinness Book of World Records.

Credit duly given See Hypertexts for consideration
Old
  (#45)
xradarx
AzB Silver Member
xradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond repute

Credit duly given See Hypertexts for consideration - 09-19-2019, 11:00 AM

Arthur "Babe" Cranfield, straight pool, 768 balls, unofficial, during a practice session (for legitimacy issues, see his witnessed 450 and 420 runs below)
Goto all of these former straight pool champions websites and you will find that they all are expecting to sell something of theirs to each and every visitor, same as JS wanting to sell all pool players a copy of the video. No one would expect any of them to knock any other one of them.
They're business people, in it for the money. And we wonder why pool has gone downhill so much lately.
Don't spread any of your straight pool playing knowledge unless someone is willing to pay for it.
Que Sara, Sara(American Slang) for let the chips fall where they may!

Page 3 of 8 123 45 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: