Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Evan Clarke -vs- Bob Runde ...And Schon Cues
Page 3 of 6 123 45 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average.
Old
  (#31)
stormshadow1
AzB Silver Member
stormshadow1 has a reputation beyond reputestormshadow1 has a reputation beyond reputestormshadow1 has a reputation beyond reputestormshadow1 has a reputation beyond reputestormshadow1 has a reputation beyond reputestormshadow1 has a reputation beyond reputestormshadow1 has a reputation beyond reputestormshadow1 has a reputation beyond reputestormshadow1 has a reputation beyond reputestormshadow1 has a reputation beyond reputestormshadow1 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

06-14-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryg View Post
I am a former resident of Milwaukee. I also used to work at Terry Romine's original pool room on Wisconsin Avenue, where Schon cues was started in the back room of the pool room. Bob was the driving force that was behind Schon's success as a custom cue shop. I had one of the first plain birdseye maple cues he ever built, no I don't have it anymore, sold it for one of Bob's rare flat faced joint cues. That one got stolen off of a UPS truck. Since I moved to New Jersey in 1987, Bob sold his portion of Schon back to Terry Romine. Shortly afterward, Terry hired Evan away from McDermott cues. Unless he bought in after getting hired, he is not to my knowledge a Schon partner, he just runs the shop. As far as the quality of the hit of post Runde era Schon's, that is probably due to the fact that they outsource some of the components that get used to make the cues. When Bob was a partner, all components were made in house. I still own five Runde era Schon's and have played with some of the current offerings. The new ones just don't have the same solid hit that Bob's do. Sorry for the long post, but it seems that quite a few of the previous posts had some misinformation that did not correspond with what I know and have talked about with Terry Romine over the last few years.
Great info.I used to play at Romine's High Pockets back in the day on wisconsin ave and Schon was started in the back of Terry's poolroom.Wish I still had one of those early cues.Thanks for the info.Very cool pieces of cuemaking history of Schon.A classic poolroom in midwest and one of the best.

schon
Old
  (#32)
butterflycues
AzB Silver Member
butterflycues has a reputation beyond reputebutterflycues has a reputation beyond reputebutterflycues has a reputation beyond reputebutterflycues has a reputation beyond reputebutterflycues has a reputation beyond reputebutterflycues has a reputation beyond reputebutterflycues has a reputation beyond reputebutterflycues has a reputation beyond reputebutterflycues has a reputation beyond reputebutterflycues has a reputation beyond reputebutterflycues has a reputation beyond repute

schon - 06-15-2009, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolplayer2093 View Post
i think they do it because they lack the attention to detail that Bob Runde had
Try filling that full of glue and screwing it together and see what happens. If there is no glue releif, It is coming through the side of the cue. Butterflycues

Old
  (#33)
poolproG
AzB Bronze Member
poolproG is on a distinguished road

04-26-2010, 02:32 PM

Was wondering if anyone has seen the schon sl-21 cue there was only one made and it has archers signature,It was the cue he played with when he played bustamanta in 91 for action,well someone bought it and it was sitting in a closet for years and the gentlemen is sending the cue to my friend just giving it away lol crazy but anyone we are both wondering what it looks like if anyone has pictures or has seen it which is rare get back with me

thanks

What about new Runde's
Old
  (#34)
PUTT4DACA$$H
AzB Silver Member
PUTT4DACA$$H has a reputation beyond reputePUTT4DACA$$H has a reputation beyond reputePUTT4DACA$$H has a reputation beyond reputePUTT4DACA$$H has a reputation beyond reputePUTT4DACA$$H has a reputation beyond reputePUTT4DACA$$H has a reputation beyond reputePUTT4DACA$$H has a reputation beyond reputePUTT4DACA$$H has a reputation beyond reputePUTT4DACA$$H has a reputation beyond reputePUTT4DACA$$H has a reputation beyond reputePUTT4DACA$$H has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

What about new Runde's - 04-26-2010, 02:52 PM

For all of the guys that are looking for a Runde hit in an old Schon that tis no longer available, what about Runde's current new cues that are one of a kind and hit better than the old ones???? IMO the design and craftsmanship was outstanding and the HIT was even better than his old work. Plus his new works are all one of a kinds. Just my opinion

Old
  (#35)
measureman
AzB Silver Member
measureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1500

04-26-2010, 03:09 PM

Here's little trivia about Schons.
It was the early 80's and Gus Szamboti was visiting the pool room because he was friends with the owner Tony. At this time there was no internet (The dark ages) and very few production cues available. Tony wanted to sell cues and asked Gus what he should offer. Gus said for the low end Helmsteter and the high end Schon. At that time retail on Helmsteters was around $180 give or take $20 depending on model and Schon was around $400 to $500 or so with 2 shafts and ivory ferules.
When i got my Schon Gus hit some balls with it and asked for some super fine sandpaper and Tony asked why he was sanding my shafts on a brand new cue. Gus replied "They use filler on the shafts" Tony asked why do they do that? Gus replied "Because they have to". That's all he said. Getting Gus to give up any knowledge about cue making was next to impossible. But he did seem to have some respect for the Schon product.

Playing cue- The Mighty Lucasi Cocobolo
Back up cue - Troy Downey

I woke up.
Triangles tips and Masters chalk are good enough.

The Truth: If you have a stroke the gear don't matter... If you don't have a stroke the gear won't help.
The above quote by Softshot

Old
  (#36)
cardiac kid
Super Senior Member
cardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via Yahoo to cardiac kid  
04-26-2010, 03:34 PM

My nearly twenty year old Schon six windows hits as well as any cue I've ever been allowed to play with. Which brings me to the point of "sharp points". How do they make a cue play better? How do they increase (or decrease) the value of a Schon Cue? Because Bob Runde may or may not have touched my cue while at Schon? On this forum today, a retailer offered a one of a kind Meucci cue. The value was quoted as being nearly fifty thousand dollars. Looking at pictures of the cue, one of the first things I noticed was the "points" were obviously CNC'd, not hand cut or spliced. Does that de-value that particular cue? Or mine?

Lyn

Old
  (#37)
J Layer
AzB Silver Member
J Layer has a reputation beyond reputeJ Layer has a reputation beyond reputeJ Layer has a reputation beyond reputeJ Layer has a reputation beyond reputeJ Layer has a reputation beyond reputeJ Layer has a reputation beyond reputeJ Layer has a reputation beyond reputeJ Layer has a reputation beyond reputeJ Layer has a reputation beyond reputeJ Layer has a reputation beyond reputeJ Layer has a reputation beyond repute

05-19-2010, 08:41 PM

I have several Runde schons and newer ones made by Evan Clarke.I really do enjoy playing with all the generations of them.I just love the way they hit/look.In choosing between them if I had too it would be the early schons.They all play great though..But you know what they say...nothing hits like a Runde!Gotta love a Schon!

Jonas "JR" playing some where...
Always looking for another R series
Cues:Player Schon SR-7 with predator 314-2 shaft
Break cue:Predator sport BK2
Cases:Jack Justis 3 x 6 Pro-lites
:Jay Flowers tribute 2 x 4
Tip of choice:Kamuii Brown Mediun soft

I'm looking for a R8,10,12,13,14 & R15...

http://billiardcoach.com/forums

http://www.minneapolisbilliardclub.com/

http://www.allaboutthegameroom.com/

Old
  (#38)
stevekur1
The "COMMISH"
stevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4700

05-20-2010, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The King View Post
No sorry Az'ers this is not a TAR match .... ...

I have loved Schon ever since I walked into what was my local cue dealer at the time and plopped down 300.00 for a R-11 he recommended I try ... He said it was something new but he thought it was a well built cue ... I quit playing for 18 years threw it into the closet and I guess you could say disappeared from the pool world for all of those 18 years... Call me Rip pool winkle ...

18 years later I wake up to pool again pull my R -11 out of the closet and I'm amazed at how much my 300.00 cue is worth ... I'm saddened that Bob Runde has left Schon , I'm surprised at how big that little company called Schon cues has become , I'm heartbroke that they no longer use the long sharp points that Runde used in his Schons and I'm wondering who the heck is this Evan Clarke guy? Is he good or is he feeding off of what Bob Runde started? I still love Schon heck who would'nt in my situation but it's more then that I love the hit of thier cues. What right does Evan have to discontinue the long sharp points that were standard in Schon? Was he not good enough to duplicate what Runde started ? I'm glad all Schons are still hand made But then again all of this just wants to make me go back to sleep ...

So maybe some of you know more then me perhaps some of you know what I slept through ... Is Evan better then Runde ? Who is Evan Clarke ?
I loved the hit of my R-11 for 300.00 brand new off the shelf it was a total bargain .... I also like the hit of the newer Schons though I hear many say that the Schons Evan makes are not as good as the Runde era Schons ... What is the reason for saying that? Was Runde that much better? I've often heard that the hit of the R series Schons from Runde are far superior then the hit of todays Schons ... I have to admit I hit both and like both ...

So feel me in AZ'ers what is up with all of this ... Who is better Runde or Evan ? How do you feel about Schon and all the changes? Why did Runde leave Schon or did Schon quit Runde?
I'll give you $300 for your R-11.....LOL, so jealous !!!!

PETE TONKIN CUSTOM CUES

Bayshore Billiards 14.1 League ~ Facebook Page ----> https://www.facebook.com/Bayshorebilliardsstraightpool

High Runs:

2019 - In Game - 127
2018 - Practice - 136
2011 - Highest on Video - 50

50 ball evaluation by Blackjack David Sapolis -->https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiBfKo85z4g

Old
  (#39)
$TAKE HOR$E
champagne - campaign
$TAKE HOR$E has a reputation beyond repute$TAKE HOR$E has a reputation beyond repute$TAKE HOR$E has a reputation beyond repute$TAKE HOR$E has a reputation beyond repute$TAKE HOR$E has a reputation beyond repute$TAKE HOR$E has a reputation beyond repute$TAKE HOR$E has a reputation beyond repute$TAKE HOR$E has a reputation beyond repute$TAKE HOR$E has a reputation beyond repute$TAKE HOR$E has a reputation beyond repute$TAKE HOR$E has a reputation beyond repute

05-20-2010, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The King View Post
What right does Evan have to discontinue the long sharp points that were standard in Schon?
Mass production.....probably already been said, at least I hope so.

Don't be afraid to say what everyone else is thinking, they will talk about you forever
~ unknown

The human brain can subjugate anything, even real pain
~ Bruce Lee

Ya'll warned me, but I didnt listen.....
~ Death Ball

I'm not surprised motherf*%$#@'s
~ Nate Diaz

WWW.MACECUES.COM

DOOM
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=463005

Old
  (#40)
SpinDoctor
AzB Silver Member
SpinDoctor has a reputation beyond reputeSpinDoctor has a reputation beyond reputeSpinDoctor has a reputation beyond reputeSpinDoctor has a reputation beyond reputeSpinDoctor has a reputation beyond reputeSpinDoctor has a reputation beyond reputeSpinDoctor has a reputation beyond reputeSpinDoctor has a reputation beyond reputeSpinDoctor has a reputation beyond reputeSpinDoctor has a reputation beyond reputeSpinDoctor has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1100

05-20-2010, 10:06 AM

I got lucky in the early 90s and stumbled upon a beautiful yet very plain schon. The first time I hit balls with it I fell in love and to this day i have never hit any cue that compare. I'm not sure what runde did differently but I have to agree that the clarke era cues just don't have the same feel.

To the poster who said that runde didn't core his cues, mine may prove otherwise. My cue has an ebony forearm with no points and I have to assume it's cored because of weight of solid ebony. I have had it dated to the runde era but can't seem to find a model number and have never seen another one.

SpinDoctor

Do or do not, there is no try. ~Yoda

Old
  (#41)
TheBook
Ret Professional Goof Off
TheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond repute

05-20-2010, 10:37 AM

Many years ago there was a Chinese restaurant that was the first dinner date that me and my wife had together. This was in China town in Det. We went there for years after. The area got real bad and the place closed. About 10 years ago we found that they relocated to a northern suburb that was about 50 miles away. We went there and had our favorites and talked to the owner that was the son of the original. We talked a long time about the old days. Not too long ago we decided to go there as it has been about 5 years since our last visit. Ordered our same favorites but they did not taste or look the same. The waitress said that new owners took over 3 years ago as the son died in a car crash and the children did not want to run the business as it was too much work. She said they are still using the same original recipes. The recipes may be the same but the cooks or something is lacking or missing. We found this out after dinner when the waitress presented the bill but before that we both commented to each other that there was something lacking in the food.

We will no longer go out of our way to go there and even when in the area it will not be on our list of things to do.

No one can play a guitar like Jimmy Hendricks, Clapton, Santana and etc even though they have the same notes in front of them.

The same can be said for anything. It is that personal magic that some have that just cannot be duplicated.

Last edited by TheBook; 05-20-2010 at 06:29 PM.

Old
  (#42)
J Layer
AzB Silver Member
J Layer has a reputation beyond reputeJ Layer has a reputation beyond reputeJ Layer has a reputation beyond reputeJ Layer has a reputation beyond reputeJ Layer has a reputation beyond reputeJ Layer has a reputation beyond reputeJ Layer has a reputation beyond reputeJ Layer has a reputation beyond reputeJ Layer has a reputation beyond reputeJ Layer has a reputation beyond reputeJ Layer has a reputation beyond repute

05-20-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $TAKE HOR$E View Post
Mass production.....probably already been said, at least I hope so.

Not all Evans work is cnc'd or "mass produced".Yes he does a have a production line...stl,sr,sl etc...As Bob had the S,and R series...Here's a example of each..And it is very tough to choose..IMO
Attached Images

Jonas "JR" playing some where...
Always looking for another R series
Cues:Player Schon SR-7 with predator 314-2 shaft
Break cue:Predator sport BK2
Cases:Jack Justis 3 x 6 Pro-lites
:Jay Flowers tribute 2 x 4
Tip of choice:Kamuii Brown Mediun soft

I'm looking for a R8,10,12,13,14 & R15...

http://billiardcoach.com/forums

http://www.minneapolisbilliardclub.com/

http://www.allaboutthegameroom.com/

Old
  (#43)
SCCues
< Searing Twins
SCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

05-21-2010, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbooks3 View Post
Bob is a talented cue maker but more importantly a real class act. He recently replaced a warped shaft for me at no charge...it took him less than two weeks and he even paid for the return shipping...and though the warped shaft had never hit a ball...the cue was over 2 yrs old.

Thanks,

Jeremy
I own the cue that had the warped shaft Jeremy is talking about. Bob sent a replacement shaft for the warped shaft with no questions asked. I've owned a number of Bob Runde's cues over the years and his workmanship is great and his cues play very well........

James

Playing cue:-Mottey-
Cues:--Paul Mottey and Kenny Murrell--
Favorite Pool Games:--9 Ball & One Pocket--

Last edited by SCCues; 08-27-2010 at 04:52 PM.

Old
  (#44)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

05-21-2010, 06:56 AM

All I have to offer is an observation. In the 80's and 90's a lot of good players were using Schon's. It was one of the most popular "players" cues. Their resale value was equal or greater then the cost new. Not many cues at that time held value as well.

By the mid to late 90's fewer and fewer pros were playing with Schons. It was well known that Bob Runde was no longer making them. The pros for the most part passed on the new Schons. At that point they became a true mass production company, marketing mainly to all the amateur pool players. A good company decision I'm sure. They had already built their reputation. Now they were just another production cue, along with Meucci, McDermott and Viking. Still good cues but not 'Rundes'.

I personally owned several early Schon's. Some of them were one of kind cues, with no model number. I regret the fact that I sold all of them. Those old four pointers Bob made were the NUTS! And still are if you can find one.

http://www.jayhelfert.com/ to order More Pool Wars

Old
  (#45)
Mitchorama
AzB Silver Member
Mitchorama has a reputation beyond reputeMitchorama has a reputation beyond reputeMitchorama has a reputation beyond reputeMitchorama has a reputation beyond reputeMitchorama has a reputation beyond reputeMitchorama has a reputation beyond reputeMitchorama has a reputation beyond reputeMitchorama has a reputation beyond reputeMitchorama has a reputation beyond reputeMitchorama has a reputation beyond reputeMitchorama has a reputation beyond repute

05-21-2010, 07:23 AM

I have 5 Schon cues from a STL-09 &15, R14, SL-17 and a Elite 54. The quality is very good and the hit on all of them are solid. I was amazed that I was able to buy the R14 for less than half the price of an Old Runde R14. I have one Schon IV shaft and it has a solid hit.
I think the issue is that some of the people feel cheated when Bob left and Schon started to go after a different market. Similar to a cue maker who made some high end cues then started selling his cues on eBay for a fraction and the old prices tank. Alot of people are still upset about that one. Mitch

Playing Cue: GB21 and 30" 314 shaft
Break Cue: Durrerin 21oz two piece cue
Pool Table: 9' Gandy

Page 3 of 6 123 45 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: