Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Evan Clarke -vs- Bob Runde ...And Schon Cues
Page 4 of 6 « First 234 56

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average.
Old
  (#46)
mamono
AzB Silver Member

mamono has a reputation beyond reputemamono has a reputation beyond reputemamono has a reputation beyond reputemamono has a reputation beyond reputemamono has a reputation beyond reputemamono has a reputation beyond reputemamono has a reputation beyond reputemamono has a reputation beyond reputemamono has a reputation beyond reputemamono has a reputation beyond reputemamono has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 30450

05-21-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinDoctor View Post
To the poster who said that runde didn't core his cues, mine may prove otherwise. My cue has an ebony forearm with no points and I have to assume it's cored because of weight of solid ebony. I have had it dated to the runde era but can't seem to find a model number and have never seen another one.
I was under the impression that if you have a ebony forearm that is cored, you can look inside the joint sleeve to see if the wood that the joint pin screws into is the black ebony color. If it is not and is a light brown straight grained wood, then it is cored.

Stl 20
Old
  (#47)
mr8ball
AzB Silver Member
mr8ball has a reputation beyond reputemr8ball has a reputation beyond reputemr8ball has a reputation beyond reputemr8ball has a reputation beyond reputemr8ball has a reputation beyond reputemr8ball has a reputation beyond reputemr8ball has a reputation beyond reputemr8ball has a reputation beyond reputemr8ball has a reputation beyond reputemr8ball has a reputation beyond reputemr8ball has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500
  Send a message via Yahoo to mr8ball  
Stl 20 - 05-21-2010, 02:40 PM

I have an STL 20 asn i was told by Evin that it was on 2 or 3 made as an LTD series. I was wondering if anyone could tell me when it was made. I do know it does not have sharp points on it. Here is a pic of it. Thanks in advance
Attached Images

Old
  (#48)
SpinDoctor
AzB Silver Member
SpinDoctor has a reputation beyond reputeSpinDoctor has a reputation beyond reputeSpinDoctor has a reputation beyond reputeSpinDoctor has a reputation beyond reputeSpinDoctor has a reputation beyond reputeSpinDoctor has a reputation beyond reputeSpinDoctor has a reputation beyond reputeSpinDoctor has a reputation beyond reputeSpinDoctor has a reputation beyond reputeSpinDoctor has a reputation beyond reputeSpinDoctor has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1100

05-21-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamono View Post
I was under the impression that if you have a ebony forearm that is cored, you can look inside the joint sleeve to see if the wood that the joint pin screws into is the black ebony color. If it is not and is a light brown straight grained wood, then it is cored.
I actually hadn't thought of that, I'll have to take a look and see. Thanks for the tip. I'll keep you posted :-)

SpinDoctor

Do or do not, there is no try. ~Yoda

Old
  (#49)
jbravo2984
~{BULL DURHAM CUES}~
jbravo2984 has a reputation beyond reputejbravo2984 has a reputation beyond reputejbravo2984 has a reputation beyond reputejbravo2984 has a reputation beyond reputejbravo2984 has a reputation beyond reputejbravo2984 has a reputation beyond reputejbravo2984 has a reputation beyond reputejbravo2984 has a reputation beyond reputejbravo2984 has a reputation beyond reputejbravo2984 has a reputation beyond reputejbravo2984 has a reputation beyond repute

08-27-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay helfert View Post
All I have to offer is an observation. In the 80's and 90's a lot of good players were using Schon's. It was one of the most popular "players" cues. Their resale value was equal or greater then the cost new. Not many cues at that time held value as well.

By the mid to late 90's fewer and fewer pros were playing with Schons. It was well known that Bob Runde was no longer making them. The pros for the most part passed on the new Schons. At that point they became a true mass production company, marketing mainly to all the amateur pool players. A good company decision I'm sure. They had already built their reputation. Now they were just another production cue, along with Meucci, McDermott and Viking. Still good cues but not 'Rundes'.

I personally owned several early Schon's. Some of them were one of kind cues, with no model number. I regret the fact that I sold all of them. Those old four pointers Bob made were the NUTS! And still are if you can find one.
I don't understand this whole, production vs. custom thing...
Evan has admitted to having like 4 or 5 guys in their shop. Jacoby has had at least that many for quite some time now. Southwest is in the same boat as schon. Does that mean southwest is a production cue company? People won't say so because they don't make "that many cues" and have a backlog of people waiting for their cues for like 6,7, or 8 years...
I'll tell you the difference here, southwest has a different marketing strategy than schon. That's it. Really, all schon did was make it harder on themselves by increasing volume/decreasing demand. It's unfortunate, but it happened. Like someone said, "many top pro's were using shon cues in the 1990's... but then started passing on them soon after." Well, it wasn't because quality went down. If that was the case, why would't they just play with the slightly older "runde-shons"? The answer is this, someone else started offering endorsements or these guys were tired of shooting with what everyone else had. Joey Gold came to the scene with his gimmick g-10 GLASS PIN! Yeah it has its benefits, but its a gimmick and it was a beautifully thought out gimmick. BTW, from what I understand Joey Gold does less on the cues that "he builds" than he would lead most to believe (at least from what I've heard-maybe someone could chime in that has first hand knowledge). From what I understand he doesn't program his cnc, he's NEVER built a spliced forearm cue to my knowledge (it wasn't part of his genious master plan-and I'm serious about that). So do those things make him a production cue maker or a custom cue maker? What is he? He makes over 100 cues a year, yet his cues demand the highest of prices. His quality is the BEST that money can buy. Ask Deno Andrews about all the cues he saw broken and thrown out during his time with joey. He maintains a top notch quality as well as consistancy. Schon does as well. Their attention to detail may not be as great as Joey's, but whose is? And I'm sure that it isn't because they lack the ability, but the demand is so high, based on their current pricing, that they couldn't keep up with demand if they were to tighten up their tolerances as much as some their top notch high-end CNC using NON-PRODUCTION "CUSTOM CUE" building competition. They have a niche' they fill it well.

HERE'S MY BIGGEST POINT- If you want a top notch, high-end "CUSTOM" cue (and I haven't done this but may...) Call up EVAN and see if he'll build a cue to your specs (hence the custom part) spliced, cnc, or whatever tickles your fancy, and see what results you get when the order is filled. I'm sure that if one were to work with the man and explain your expectations, they can be met. For the right price i'm sure, but methinks they can be met.

That guy's about as tough as a two dollar steak!- John Gruden

Last edited by jbravo2984; 08-27-2010 at 03:37 PM.

Old
  (#50)
jbravo2984
~{BULL DURHAM CUES}~
jbravo2984 has a reputation beyond reputejbravo2984 has a reputation beyond reputejbravo2984 has a reputation beyond reputejbravo2984 has a reputation beyond reputejbravo2984 has a reputation beyond reputejbravo2984 has a reputation beyond reputejbravo2984 has a reputation beyond reputejbravo2984 has a reputation beyond reputejbravo2984 has a reputation beyond reputejbravo2984 has a reputation beyond reputejbravo2984 has a reputation beyond repute

08-27-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
unless there's an insert that the pin was set into.

That guy's about as tough as a two dollar steak!- John Gruden

Old
  (#51)
SCCues
< Searing Twins
SCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

08-27-2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Here's a shot of my Runde cue that has an ebony forearm and looking at the ivory joint you can see maple inside the ebony. If my cue wasn't cored it would be way too heavy for me.......

James

Playing cue:-Mottey-
Cues:--Paul Mottey and Kenny Murrell--
Favorite Pool Games:--9 Ball & One Pocket--

Old
  (#52)
deanoc
AzB Silver Member
deanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

08-27-2010, 06:09 PM

i believe both evan and bob make good pool cues,i don't think the runde era schons are enough different for anyone to tell the difference in play,sharp poins vs rounded points
if i were to mask the cues i doubt if anyone could pick out the different ones by playing
also i think when evan retires all of us will wish we had some of his cues,

and that time may not be long a from now,in my opinion schon cues are among the best cues made,no telling how many great players have won us opens playing schon,but i would guess more than most if not all

dean

Old
  (#53)
justin.powell
AzB Silver Member
justin.powell has a reputation beyond reputejustin.powell has a reputation beyond reputejustin.powell has a reputation beyond reputejustin.powell has a reputation beyond reputejustin.powell has a reputation beyond reputejustin.powell has a reputation beyond reputejustin.powell has a reputation beyond reputejustin.powell has a reputation beyond reputejustin.powell has a reputation beyond reputejustin.powell has a reputation beyond reputejustin.powell has a reputation beyond repute

08-28-2010, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanoc View Post
i believe both evan and bob make good pool cues,i don't think the runde era schons are enough different for anyone to tell the difference in play,sharp poins vs rounded points
if i were to mask the cues i doubt if anyone could pick out the different ones by playing
also i think when evan retires all of us will wish we had some of his cues,

and that time may not be long a from now,in my opinion schon cues are among the best cues made,no telling how many great players have won us opens playing schon,but i would guess more than most if not all

dean
Good post. The Evan Schons play as well as about any cue I have played with. They are well built.

Runde vs Clark
Old
  (#54)
mattb
AzB Silver Member
mattb has a reputation beyond reputemattb has a reputation beyond reputemattb has a reputation beyond reputemattb has a reputation beyond reputemattb has a reputation beyond reputemattb has a reputation beyond reputemattb has a reputation beyond reputemattb has a reputation beyond reputemattb has a reputation beyond reputemattb has a reputation beyond reputemattb has a reputation beyond repute

Runde vs Clark - 08-28-2010, 06:19 AM

I prefer the Runde era cues, because like most have stated they have more of a solid hit. But this an opinion and preference. Schon must be doing something right because they sell a heck of a lot of cues. My point is that cues, manufacturers and processes evolve. Some like evolution for the better, some do not. Look at the picture I attached. BOTH are Schon cues, the implex joint is earlier than the R series it sits next to. Imagine what it would be like if Runde had not evolved into a different set up which defined the hit the R series are famous for.
Attached Images

10 years ago we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash. Now we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

I was arrested and the judge said life in prison, or you can join an APA league. I wish now that I had taken the prison term.

Old
  (#55)
cuesmith
BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
cuesmith has a reputation beyond reputecuesmith has a reputation beyond reputecuesmith has a reputation beyond reputecuesmith has a reputation beyond reputecuesmith has a reputation beyond reputecuesmith has a reputation beyond reputecuesmith has a reputation beyond reputecuesmith has a reputation beyond reputecuesmith has a reputation beyond reputecuesmith has a reputation beyond reputecuesmith has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via Yahoo to cuesmith  
09-01-2010, 03:07 PM

Just a quick question for the Schon Gurus here: I was under the impression, or I thought I'd heard that Nubs Wagner was also a key players at Schon before he branched out and started Nova Cues. Am I right about this or not? I haven't seen his name mentioned in this thread which surprised me a little. Hope someone can clear this up for me. Maybe it's just my "mad cow" acting up!

just more hot air!

Sherm

Sherm Custom Billiard Cues
cuesmith@ymail.com
Sort of retired!

Old
  (#56)
TATE
AzB Gold Mensch
TATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

09-01-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuesmith View Post
Just a quick question for the Schon Gurus here: I was under the impression, or I thought I'd heard that Nubs Wagner was also a key players at Schon before he branched out and started Nova Cues. Am I right about this or not? I haven't seen his name mentioned in this thread which surprised me a little. Hope someone can clear this up for me. Maybe it's just my "mad cow" acting up!
I don't know Sherm, but can you find out where he got the name "Nubs" anyway. I like it.

Chris

Visit my historic cues site:
www.palmercollector.com

Old
  (#57)
PDX
AzB Silver Member
PDX has a reputation beyond reputePDX has a reputation beyond reputePDX has a reputation beyond reputePDX has a reputation beyond reputePDX has a reputation beyond reputePDX has a reputation beyond reputePDX has a reputation beyond reputePDX has a reputation beyond reputePDX has a reputation beyond reputePDX has a reputation beyond reputePDX has a reputation beyond repute

12-12-2010, 03:25 PM

Here the info that I have picked up:

Bob setup McD's machinery back in the day.
Evan worked at McD.

Per Bob, he never used a Szamboti forearm. I keep forgetting that Terry could have and probably would have ordered the forearms, as he owned the pool hall. Doesn't mean they where used, or at least by Bob for a Schon cue.

Per Barry, he has records showing Schon ordering forearms.

Runde sold in 92 and started making Runde's in 95.

Runde Schons should not be cored.

New Schons are, as are Runde's.

I think non-cored noses are the difference in hit, i.e. old school.

Patrick

Patrick
Sowder Conversion
Huebler RH7
Brunswick by Palmer
Saul Rich
1981 Viking A450
A bunch of unknown sneakys

Old
  (#58)
BassMasterK
AzB Silver Member
BassMasterK has a reputation beyond reputeBassMasterK has a reputation beyond reputeBassMasterK has a reputation beyond reputeBassMasterK has a reputation beyond reputeBassMasterK has a reputation beyond reputeBassMasterK has a reputation beyond reputeBassMasterK has a reputation beyond reputeBassMasterK has a reputation beyond reputeBassMasterK has a reputation beyond reputeBassMasterK has a reputation beyond reputeBassMasterK has a reputation beyond repute

12-12-2010, 04:10 PM

I got a variation of a Runde R5 as a christmas present from my then girlfriend back around 1990. I have hit with other cues and nothing that I have hit with felt as solid. Like some others have said, I tried out a newer Schon and it had a hollower feel to it. Nothing wrong with it, it was a beautiful cue and some people may prefer that type of hit but to me it didn't compare to my Runde. I am so glad I held onto that cue. I got out of the sport for many years and now that I am playing again I am so happy to have it.

Schon
Old
  (#59)
knifemaker
AzB Silver Member
knifemaker has a reputation beyond reputeknifemaker has a reputation beyond reputeknifemaker has a reputation beyond reputeknifemaker has a reputation beyond reputeknifemaker has a reputation beyond reputeknifemaker has a reputation beyond reputeknifemaker has a reputation beyond reputeknifemaker has a reputation beyond reputeknifemaker has a reputation beyond reputeknifemaker has a reputation beyond reputeknifemaker has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5700

Schon - 12-12-2010, 05:38 PM

I had a Schon that was made in the late 70's it must have been since I got it from Jimmy King at the Texas Open in Austin at Moyer's in 79.
It had 4 ebony points with a ivory diamond in each point and a matching diamond in the butt straight in line with the ones in the points. It had a 14 mm shaft and hit as solid as any cue I have ever had. I quit playing in the early 80's and sold it along with several other nice cues I wish I still had.
The story Jimmy King told me was that Terry named the company after I think his daughter, can anyone verify that or not? I guess it doesn't really matter but was just wondering. I know they are great cues period.

Old
  (#60)
BassMasterK
AzB Silver Member
BassMasterK has a reputation beyond reputeBassMasterK has a reputation beyond reputeBassMasterK has a reputation beyond reputeBassMasterK has a reputation beyond reputeBassMasterK has a reputation beyond reputeBassMasterK has a reputation beyond reputeBassMasterK has a reputation beyond reputeBassMasterK has a reputation beyond reputeBassMasterK has a reputation beyond reputeBassMasterK has a reputation beyond reputeBassMasterK has a reputation beyond repute

12-12-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knifemaker View Post
I had a Schon that was made in the late 70's it must have been since I got it from Jimmy King at the Texas Open in Austin at Moyer's in 79.
It had 4 ebony points with a ivory diamond in each point and a matching diamond in the butt straight in line with the ones in the points. It had a 14 mm shaft and hit as solid as any cue I have ever had. I quit playing in the early 80's and sold it along with several other nice cues I wish I still had.
The story Jimmy King told me was that Terry named the company after I think his daughter, can anyone verify that or not? I guess it doesn't really matter but was just wondering. I know they are great cues period.
According to Blue Book Schon didn't start making cues until '81 and it said they named the company after the german word for 'beautiful' if that helps at all...could maybe have been a nickname for his daughter? Funny nickname now that I think about it but stranger things have happened.

Page 4 of 6 « First 234 56

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: