Any more bar tables with big cue balls?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It seems that over-sized cue balls on bar tables are a thing of the past. The ball return mechanisms in coin-operated tables used to need a size difference so scratches could be returned. Now cue balls are magnetic or returned optically in the case of Diamond tables.

Does anyone here still suffer from the big ball problem?

At English 8-ball they took the opposite tack. The cue balls are smaller (I think 2 inches with 2 1/16 object balls) for the ball return on coin-ops.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
I know of one local table with a big CB. I'm sure there are more.. somewhere.
You're right though Bob. The oversize bar box CB is not really an issue today.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
at a 8ball tournament i was at, the next table i was to play on i immediately noticed the massive ball, was like a carom ball soon as i looked at it

i was watching the last guy struggle to make one shot over and over he couldnt understand, they just played their whole match using that massive ball, i couldnt believe it, the director said if no one could notice that, thats their own fault and put it back to the valley table

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seems like every bar I go to in Michigan has an old Valley with a big ball return. If I see a magnetic return it a Diamond table it seems like the exception, not the rule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
at a 8ball tournament i was at, the next table i was to play on i immediately noticed the massive ball, was like a carom ball soon as i looked at it

i was watching the last guy struggle to make one shot over and over he couldnt understand, they just played their whole match using that massive ball, i couldnt believe it, the director said if no one could notice that, thats their own fault and put it back to the valley table
The big ball makes shooting balls frozen on the cushion a little more challenging and makes power draw shots a lot more challenging. I watched a friend spend all one night in a nine ball ring game with the big ball and the main thing to be learned was "Follow!".

The good news is that the big ball breaks harder.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i'm surprised there hasn't been a design that requires a lesser payment to retrieve the cue ball on scratches.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i know. i had a thought and went off on a tangent... which table are the bar-owners going to buy, though?
A table that charges for scratches will just encourage even more catching the cue ball as it heads towards the pocket.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A table that charges for scratches will just encourage even more catching the cue ball as it heads towards the pocket.

I don't see that as the manufacture's problem, but, if chaos ensues, I suppose the return could be opened-up with the turn of a key.

Overall, I think most people pay the money.

Maybe, someone will take the idea and run with it... or fall flat on their face.

Everything else being equal, even, but not necessarily, the price, I can't immediately think of a reason why a business owner would choose a table without the option.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I have a very limited experience playing in bars.

...but I would not play with a magnetic ball....unpredictable

I would play with the big ball...predictable

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
When I lived in Belize the locals would put Dixie cups in the pockets of coin tables. I'm sure it was just to prevent the CB getting stuck...

pj
chgo

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
David Matlock was an absolute WIZARD with the big cue-ball. As was Mike Hyland. They could do things with the big rock that defied belief.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a very limited experience playing in bars.

...but I would not play with a magnetic ball....unpredictable

I would play with the big ball...predictable

I would venture to say you have already played with a magnetic ball.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
It seems that over-sized cue balls on bar tables are a thing of the past. The ball return mechanisms in coin-operated tables used to need a size difference so scratches could be returned. Now cue balls are magnetic or returned optically in the case of Diamond tables.

Does anyone here still suffer from the big ball problem?

At English 8-ball they took the opposite tack. The cue balls are smaller (I think 2 inches with 2 1/16 object balls) for the ball return on coin-ops.
Zillions across the country still use a weighted ball or big ball. Most of them could use at least the magnetic system in Valleys for the Green or Purple Aramith cue ball, but so many bars still use the oversized (2 3/8) or the Universal B (resin flake / mud ball) or the Dynamo Red Dot (heavy magnet, 2 1/4 diameter). I could go to ten bars in the immediate area and find any of these three.

Freddie <~~~ needs to lose the weight

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
By “play” I really meant gamble
...a magnetic cue ball makes a drug store golf ball feel like a Titleist

Roger, makes a little more sense. That being said, I don't have too many issues with the magnetic CB's but I don't get to play with decent CB's very ofen, only when I play on one of the 6 diamonds (2 different bars) I know about in Boise.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Zillions across the country still use a weighted ball or big ball. Most of them could use at least the magnetic system in Valleys for the Green or Purple Aramith cue ball, but so many bars still use the oversized (2 3/8) or the Universal B (resin flake / mud ball) or the Dynamo Red Dot (heavy magnet, 2 1/4 diameter). I could go to ten bars in the immediate area and find any of these three.

Freddie <~~~ needs to lose the weight
I haven't seen the big cue ball in my area(Kan, Tex,Ok) in a long time. Still see a lot of weighted/magnetic ones.