Something New For Pool Players To Contemplate

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ64n9R_BsU

Only the last part - starts after 2+ minutes of attempted problem solving.

Scaramouche:

You may've meant that tongue-in-cheek (i.e. that pool players "would never encounter such a situation"), and it certainly was a very funny situation in how it played out. But I guarantee you that, even on a "lowly 9-footer," and specifically in the games of 14.1 straight pool and One Pocket, that this type of shot comes up all the time, because of the "playing behind the rack/pack" situations specific to these two games. Colloquially, we here in the Northeast call that shot "being tree-topped" -- i.e. shooting over the tops of trees -- and it comes up more often than we'd like because of the games themselves.

Personally, I carry two (yes, 2!) Tiger Corona leather bridge heads in my case for just this scenario. Just last week, I've had to use both of them, in tandem (stacked on top of each other) to reach a severe cut shot behind the pack in a game of One Pocket. (Yes, my opponent "slightly sold out" with his previous shot; after a bit of finagling with stacking and stabilizing the two bridges, I made the shot, and got out.)

The fact that Steven Maguire had to use extensions on *both* the cue and the two bridges, and then after all the finagling with putting this Rube Goldberg creation together, finally decided to scrap it and just shoot the shot left-handed, gave the audience some entertainment for sure!

Thanks for sharing this,
-Sean