Brunswick Billiards is now...?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I doubt the 50mil. figure. That's a LOT of tables/access. in a year. They haven't cared about pool tables in years. They just kept it as a legacy deal.
I think the majority of Brunswick's sales have been home tables. Look at their product line. I heard that Brunswick purchased Valley to keep the top sales rank and that it didn't work out for them. I suppose that Olhausen might be top US sales at this point and that the vast majority of that is home tables. And I'm not sure how to count all of this if you go by country of origin.

9 Ball Fan

Darth Maximus
Silver Member
Perhaps this is an opportunity for someone to point out what the improvements are on the newer style Diamond tables, etc.

I have Simonis 860 and Aramith Premium on my 9 foot Brunswick Ashbee. Other than perhaps better rails; what is different on the Diamond tables, that is considered an upgrade? Honest question....

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Perhaps this is an opportunity for someone to point out what the improvements are on the newer style Diamond tables, etc.

I have Simonis 860 and Aramith Premium on my 9 foot Brunswick. Other than perhaps better rails; what is different on the Diamond tables, that is considered an upgrade? Honest question....
I've posted a list of about a dozen fundamental mistakes in the original GC design. From an engineering/functionality point of view, they show that Brunswick relied on people who did not play pool for the design.

9 Ball Fan

Darth Maximus
Silver Member
I've posted a list of about a dozen fundamental mistakes in the original GC design. From an engineering/functionality point of view, they show that Brunswick relied on people who did not play pool for the design.

So you're saying that the people who started Diamond, looked at what Brunswick had already done; and said, "we can do it better than they did"?

I would guess that's also the premise that Olhausen started out with?

That's their business model: Design things better than Brunswick did, and build better tables in the process.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FTR...there are at least 10-20x more Brunswick tables sold every year (even last year) than Diamond. Greg's output is about 1000/yr. I like the Diamond tables better myself, but nobody can dispute that Brunswick still has the dominant market share.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Where did you get that information? Or is it just opinion. I find that hard to believe with the amount of diamond 7 footers that are made and sold commercially and Brunswick has no commercial coin op that I’m aware of.

Last edited:

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
There are enough older, very playable or rebuildable Gold Crowns out there for my ta le buying lifetime. If I ever want a brand new table (unlikely) I'd consider a new Brunswick on its merits and not care one bit about what other products they make or who owns them...as long as it isn't the French.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
There was no money for them in pool, which is why they diversified. They don't even produce their own balls, Brunswick Centennials are made under contract by Saluc, makers of Aramith brand.

Truth, I find it unfortunate that they went from being the table of choice to nowhere as Diamond took over the table market. Many like Diamond but I'll never be one of them.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where did you get that information? Or is it just opinion. I find that hard to believe with the amount of diamond 7 footers that are made and sold commercially and Brunswick has no commercial coin op that I’m aware of.
They make/sell more than a 1000 units/yr. Diamond is a global seller and i'd guess they do five times that if not more.

Last edited:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So, you can dislike Diamond all you want, it's a free country, but you should dislike Brunswick even more for outsourcing their tables to far away lands, and for basically abandoning billiards in the US for the past few decades

I like Diamond tables but prefer a GC for the home. Timeless beauty.
My experience with the Brunswick lifetime warranty is a joke.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They make/sell more than a 1000 units/yr. Diamond is a global seller and i'd guess they do five times that if not more.
I msg'd Diamond on this. They replied that they couldn't give exact figure but said its a "few thousand a year".

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks. For those who don't like to follow links, here's the text. If you can't think of a couple of other problems you either don't play on GCs or you are imprinted too much to them.
Try standing back and thinking about how you would change a GC to make it better. If you can think of nothing then you are not afflicted with my problem: engineer's attitude.

I have scars on my knuckles because some Brunswick idiot decided to put scorewheels and nameplates exactly where my knuckles pass if I use a nice, level stroke.

I get nasty, greasy goo on my cue when I have to bridge over the cheap fake rubber pocket liners which often stick out and help balls rattle.

People get dings on their cues because the pocket irons are not flush with the rest of the table.

The rack hanger (GC3) is another idiot design.

Put the balls into the front of the table at 1 pocket and they either rattle back and forth or they slide through to your opponent's side. Sometimes they hide behind the obnoxious Brunswick logo/nameplate, which makes counting difficult.

Pretty much every GC3 installed in this area about 15-20 years ago has dead/dying cushions. Technically, this is not a design misfeature, but it is broken supply chain monitoring. They started dying within a few years of installation. It makes every cushion contact an adventure.

The GC3 does not have doweled slates. (Usually there are brass pins that pass between adjoining slates to keep them aligned.) Some idiot at Brunswick decided to save a little money on the so-called top-of-the-line table. Good job, fool. This may not apply to all GC3s, but it does to the one I often play on where the foot slate started to buckle up.

The diamond sites on the curved rails are often hard to see.

The drop pockets ("drop" means there is no ball return) hold only three balls if you care about hard shots not being rejected. I shot a shot last night into an empty pocket and the ball took a loop around the bottom of the pocket and jumped back onto the table. Here's a trick I learned from Tony Annigoni: if you are going to shoot a ball hard, make sure there are exactly two balls in the pocket. One sits centered on the drain hole and is likely to spring the new ball back. Two balls are random enough to damp the extra energy. Three starts to be too full, and four is very, very dangerous.

All of the cheap, thin plating has worn off the pocket irons where I play. That happened in the first five years or so. Probably more cost-cutting on the "Cadillac". On older GCs, the metal trim leaves your light-colored pants streaked with oxide.

You might be interested in this comment from the official history of the Brunswick company, an excellent book called "Brunswick - The Story of an American Company - The First 150 Years", written by Rick Kogan and published in 1995 by Brunswick (page 97):

During the 1960s, billiards experienced a renaissance thanks to a film called "The Hustler," starring Paul Newman, Jackie Gleason, Piper Laurie, and George C. Scott. It re-introduced Americans to poolrooms around the county, and new facilities began to go up in suburban shopping centers and middle income neighborhoods. Many of these featured wall-to-wall carpeting, ersatz Tiffany lamps, and pastel tabletops. Most of them featured Brunswick tables. In 1966, some 3,000 new poolrooms opened, the majority called "family billiard centers." Though families sampled, they didn't stay. By 1970, this boom too was bust, and billiards would not again play a major role in Brunswick's operations .
(emphasis mine)