Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Products Talk > Ask The Cuemaker
Reload this Page The Finishing Conundrum
Page 3 of 4 123 4

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
Michael Webb
AzB Silver Member
Michael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

06-26-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
I have a few dozen of my cues posted on my website and I finished all but a couple I had Scot do. They look good but the time it took me to do it was not fulfilling and it's not getting better. I know some of you are in it for a job and couldn't afford to have someone else finish your cues and stay afloat, but I'm a hobbyist and hobbies should be fun. I guess I'm just on a totally different wavelength than most here.

I have personally seen some cues from respected makers with crappy (IMO) finishes that I would not have tolerated. My problem is I'm a perfectionist and making my finish perfect is making me old fast.

JC

Getting methods down to where your happy with the results seems hard at first. I have lost more sleep than I can afford researching and studying. Not good for someone like me who's sleep habits suck to begin with. I have followed your progression here. You should be proud of how far you have come so far. Even if you never put finish on another cue, you'll still have to understand what ever method your person is doing because sooner or later, your going to see that cue again.
I wish you the best of luck.

Best Wishes
Michael Webb
webbcues@cox.net

Old
  (#32)
JC
Needs Moderation

JC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond repute

06-26-2019, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Webb View Post
Getting methods down to where your happy with the results seems hard at first. I have lost more sleep than I can afford researching and studying. Not good for someone like me who's sleep habits suck to begin with. I have followed your progression here. You should be proud of how far you have come so far. Even if you never put finish on another cue, you'll still have to understand what ever method your person is doing because sooner or later, your going to see that cue again.
I wish you the best of luck.
And by then the person who did the clear coat for me will have died of cancer?

Just kidding, thanks for the words of encouragement Michael.

JC

It's not what you don't know that get's you in trouble
It's what you know that just ain't so

Old
  (#33)
Michael Webb
AzB Silver Member
Michael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond repute

06-26-2019, 10:16 PM

Quote:
And by then the person who did the clear coat for me will have died of cancer?

Just kidding, thanks for the words of encouragement Michael.

JC
On a real serious note.
Mark Bear, God bless him.
Cancer got him. Mark told me the doctors felt it was brought on by his UV finish booth.
A friend of mine passed and he suffered. Spraying cars and not taking precautions.
That's as real as you can get.
Spray booth are worth the money. If you build your own. Protect yourself and build it wisely.

Best Wishes
Michael Webb
webbcues@cox.net

Old
  (#34)
Michael Webb
AzB Silver Member

06-26-2019, 10:22 PM

My comment about posting pictures of your work with finish, was directed at everyone in this thread except JC. It would be great to see some actual work to go with your AZ name.

Best Wishes
Michael Webb
webbcues@cox.net

Old
  (#35)
Mike81
AzB Silver Member
Mike81 has a reputation beyond reputeMike81 has a reputation beyond reputeMike81 has a reputation beyond reputeMike81 has a reputation beyond reputeMike81 has a reputation beyond reputeMike81 has a reputation beyond reputeMike81 has a reputation beyond reputeMike81 has a reputation beyond reputeMike81 has a reputation beyond reputeMike81 has a reputation beyond reputeMike81 has a reputation beyond repute

06-27-2019, 06:05 AM

I made only one cue. It was a lot of work and a learning experience as well. When it came time to finish I chickened out and took it to Scott at proficient. I just couldn’t risk doing it myself due to inexperience and it would break my heart If I screwed it up. Needless to say it came about fantastic. I just finished a shelf I was making with Waterlox Tung Oil. It was the sealer finish but they also offer a high gloss which I may still use. I was thinking this wouldn’t be too bad on a cue. So my question is why or how the standard of cue finishing became so high? I mean do people really demand a glass like finish? I would think the average pool player would not mind., a cue collector maybe different. I was impressed with the finish I got with the Tung Oil. Just a thought.

Old
  (#36)
JC
Needs Moderation

JC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond repute

06-27-2019, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike81 View Post
I made only one cue. It was a lot of work and a learning experience as well. When it came time to finish I chickened out and took it to Scott at proficient. I just couldn’t risk doing it myself due to inexperience and it would break my heart If I screwed it up. Needless to say it came about fantastic. I just finished a shelf I was making with Waterlox Tung Oil. It was the sealer finish but they also offer a high gloss which I may still use. I was thinking this wouldn’t be too bad on a cue. So my question is why or how the standard of cue finishing became so high? I mean do people really demand a glass like finish? I would think the average pool player would not mind., a cue collector maybe different. I was impressed with the finish I got with the Tung Oil. Just a thought.
Bob Flynn who I bought several cues from prior to getting interested in building them myself used a tung oil finish and it looks pretty good hot off the press but is softer and ages less well than some others. One cue I have played lightly with over the years and the finish is getting milky looking. Another one I have played with a lot and it's beat to hell with what I consider normal use.

Bob is in his 80s now and as far as I know cancer free so did he make the right choice? HIs cues play really well BTW, he's the one who ultimately inspired me to build full core cues. Every time I shot with the cues he made I thought yes, this is the hit I like. Thanks Bob if you read this.

JC

Old
  (#37)
thoffen
AzB Silver Member
thoffen has a reputation beyond reputethoffen has a reputation beyond reputethoffen has a reputation beyond reputethoffen has a reputation beyond reputethoffen has a reputation beyond reputethoffen has a reputation beyond reputethoffen has a reputation beyond reputethoffen has a reputation beyond reputethoffen has a reputation beyond reputethoffen has a reputation beyond reputethoffen has a reputation beyond repute

06-27-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Bob Flynn who I bought several cues from prior to getting interested in building them myself used a tung oil finish and it looks pretty good hot off the press but is softer and ages less well than some others. One cue I have played lightly with over the years and the finish is getting milky looking. Another one I have played with a lot and it's beat to hell with what I consider normal use.

Bob is in his 80s now and as far as I know cancer free so did he make the right choice? HIs cues play really well BTW, he's the one who ultimately inspired me to build full core cues. Every time I shot with the cues he made I thought yes, this is the hit I like. Thanks Bob if you read this.

JC
That's cool. Thanks for sharing. I've wondered about a Tung oil finish for cues. Theoretically you can build it up pretty nicely and have it cure completely. Would be a great green product, although the thinner that's used is pretty important. It would probably take a long time though to build up a finish for cues comparable to others out there, although there isn't any real need to have a thicker clear coat finish on cues. Seems to be the standard for quality, though.

I wonder if the issues he had over time might be related to using a tung oil product that's not actually 100% tung oil (often it's blends to cure much faster, but only pure tung oil should polymerize 100%) or if some of the issues relate to the thinner used or if it hadn't dried long enough between coats or if the storage of the oil isn't perfect. If you don't do a good job keeping the air out, you'll get a film of partially polymerized oil and it will ruin the whole batch. I've only ever used it for boxes and never tried to build up a coat like would be typical on cues. May try it one day if I ever actually get into building cues of my own.

Old
  (#38)
captainjko
Kirk
captainjko has a reputation beyond reputecaptainjko has a reputation beyond reputecaptainjko has a reputation beyond reputecaptainjko has a reputation beyond reputecaptainjko has a reputation beyond reputecaptainjko has a reputation beyond reputecaptainjko has a reputation beyond reputecaptainjko has a reputation beyond reputecaptainjko has a reputation beyond reputecaptainjko has a reputation beyond reputecaptainjko has a reputation beyond repute

06-27-2019, 11:07 AM

My latest... Epoxy seal coat.. Then clear coat finish..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruN4Egv1T6s

Player- T.K.O. Custom Sneaky
Breaker- T.K.O. Custom Sneaky
Jump- T.K.O. Custom Jump

Old
  (#39)
63Kcode
AKA Larry Vigus
63Kcode has a reputation beyond repute63Kcode has a reputation beyond repute63Kcode has a reputation beyond repute63Kcode has a reputation beyond repute63Kcode has a reputation beyond repute63Kcode has a reputation beyond repute63Kcode has a reputation beyond repute63Kcode has a reputation beyond repute63Kcode has a reputation beyond repute63Kcode has a reputation beyond repute63Kcode has a reputation beyond repute

06-27-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
My comment about posting pictures of your work with finish, was directed at everyone in this thread except JC. It would be great to see some actual work to go with your AZ name.
This one was finished with Hightower’s Cue Cote. I have probably sprayed more auto finish than most cuemakers having restored cars for 30 years and painted Peterbilt trucks for a few years(10 trucks a night. 5 nights a week). Cue Cote can provide a great finish, but not perfect. I may have to start spraying soon.
Attached Images

Not taking orders at this time, Thanks!

Old
  (#40)
Kim Bye
AzB Silver Member
Kim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond repute

06-27-2019, 01:43 PM

I suck at taking pictures, but this is a cue I`m refinishing for a customer now.
[IMG][/IMG]

Cold silence
has a tendency
to atrophy any
sense of compassion

Old
  (#41)
JC
Needs Moderation

06-27-2019, 02:20 PM

I believe it's all but impossible to assess a finish via photos. You need to see it, touch it and feel it to know it's quality.

And then you need to see it again in a few years.

JC

Old
  (#42)
Michael Webb
AzB Silver Member

06-27-2019, 04:51 PM

Sweet. Thanks Guys.
I'm a sprayer but what I've learned is,
We take all the time needed to construct our cues. But the finishing always seemed like it's rushed.
Why? I just don't know. Anxious maybe.
I started in 91, started building in 94. Leonard Bludworth talked me into building. Bare with me a bit.
95 I bought a bench top Pantigraph. Thank God I only did a few cues with floating points. Not for me but I kept the first and play with it til this day. The finish, yup sprayed. But thin coats. To much to fast will come back to haunt you.
So this, ebony, uncored. Malacite and ivory rounded nasty inlays, Aluminum rings.
Lmao. I have never polished it since it was finished. To this day, you still can't feel anything. I didn't even buff it to post pictures.

Name:  IMG_20190627_194813.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  127.5 KB
Name:  IMG_20190627_194804.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  146.0 KB

Best Wishes
Michael Webb
webbcues@cox.net

Old
  (#43)
Michael Webb
AzB Silver Member

06-27-2019, 05:00 PM

This one, there's a story. There's always a story.
Customer gets his cue. Thank you!
Customer and wife one nite get drunk at the pool room. Wifey, tries to make him jealous. IT WORKS, she gets tagged. She takes his brand new cue and treats it like a bat.

Name:  IMG_20190627_194833.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  134.4 KB
Name:  IMG_20190627_194824.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  143.8 KB

When they showed me. I literally started laughing.
They said. What the hell is so funny?
I said.
Look at my finish. It didn't pop. That's friggin awesome.
Moral to the story on finish.
What's the rush?

Best Wishes
Michael Webb
webbcues@cox.net

Old
  (#44)
Michael Webb
AzB Silver Member

06-27-2019, 05:10 PM

As Cue makers, Craftsman or what ever you want to call yourself. CUEOLOGIST practicing the art of Cueology. How's that sound?
We search for our methods that we can be confident using and live by. It's not in stone because the search never ends. So with that being said, auto finish is great, but it really doesn't like wood. So just like UV finish, it needs a (buffer) if you will that likes and sticks to wood and that the finish will stick to that.

Name:  IMG_2212.JPG
Views: 129
Size:  82.2 KB
Name:  IMG_20190612_201415.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  140.4 KB

Happy Cue making. There's no compromise. You either love it or you don't.

Best Wishes
Michael Webb
webbcues@cox.net

Last edited by Michael Webb; 06-27-2019 at 05:12 PM.

Old
  (#45)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4400

06-27-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
As Cue makers, Craftsman or what ever you want to call yourself. CUEOLOGIST practicing the art of Cueology. How's that sound?
We search for our methods that we can be confident using and live by. It's not in stone because the search never ends. So with that being said, auto finish is great, but it really doesn't like wood. So just like UV finish, it needs a (buffer) if you will that likes and sticks to wood and that the finish will stick to that.

Attachment 523488
Attachment 523489

Happy Cue making. There's no compromise. You either love it or you don't.
Damn!
Those ebony or most dark exotics are a pain to deal with.
I hate doing them but, you have to deal with them.

I use two coats of epoxy and two spraying sessions of auto clear.
Not quite as great as yours Mike but I'm getting there.
Attached Images

Last edited by JoeyInCali; 06-27-2019 at 06:34 PM.

Page 3 of 4 123 4

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: