I think it's very telling...

DeadPoked

Inadequate User
Silver Member
I think it's really telling of a persons character to come on here and bash a young kid, who frequents this forums and a fellow AZ'er if you will, that was only trying to fullfill a dream of playing against the greatest player ever.

I think it took a lot of bravery for the kid to put himself in that position to play against the best player in the world and to be such a huge underdog in front of so many people. The only thing I've ever heard anyone bash the kid on is his maturity level and I think this match was a big stepping stone in gaining maturity on the table. I did not see the very end of the match but I did see most of it and the interviews and I thought Austin handled himself very well.

After Austin was able to get his nerves in check he started playing some very good pool. I believe he ran the table off Efrens dry break and then followed that up with the first break and run of the match. I remember seeing Efrens face when Austin started to really play, you could tell that he knew he had to pull back the reins on the kid and it was time to get serious.

I feel that it was a treat to be able to watch a match between the greatest player ever who is nearing the end of competitive pool career and a future star who is just coming into his own.

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are some unfortunates who don't have a clue about professional pool. In fact, they most likely are envious of Austin's capabilities at such a young age. To compensate for their inferiorities, bashing Austin on this forum gives them some sense of gratification.

Opinions can be expressed without being mean-spirited.

JAM

UrackmIcrackm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hopefully the elder Mr. Murphy can help the younger Mr. Murphy understand that it is a simple matter of jealousy. He should not take it personally as hurtful but instead be flattered that he has something (talent & the good fortune of playing a true ledgend) that others (Mr. GREEN with envy bumpy pickle) can only dream of having.

Mr. Green with envy realizes he'll never be where the young Mr. Murphy is or where he is sure to go in the future so he's trying to make himself feel better about himself by saying derrogatory remarks. I call it being a "sore loser".

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
funny thing is the internet empowers them to say things they would never say in person to Austin.

On top of it Austin's family are trying to do things the right way, not let their son be some kind of pool hall delinquent. They have to now deal with jackasses in the best forum for pool taking cheap shots at their son. Its disgusting imo.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Here's how I see it....

EVERY SINGLE PERSON I've EVEEEEEEEEER seen post on here has dogged their GUTS out in front of GROUPS of people. I don't care who you are, what world championship you've won, you've puked on yourself sometime in your life. Maybe long ago, maybe yesterday - or you might do it tomorrow.

I think people voted Austin in because they knew he has game and it's a stark contrast to have a 14-year-old play the best. How much electricity would there have been if he played over his head? It'd be like all the little Hulkamaniacs running wild on AZB posting a gazillion posts about how he's a genius and a prodigy, etc.etc. I'm the first to admit, he was out-gunned no matter how he played and it wasn't the most exciting match-up (for my personal tastes) - but cut the kid a break.

The bottom line is that young kid who dogged out against arguably the best ever would take the HEART of nearly every player on here for the cash and make those posters PUKE and DOG in front of their own families, if you ever invited your family along to watch you get bashed by someone who can't even drive legally yet.

Last edited:

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Great post, DeadPoked.

When I was 16 years old, I had the opportunity to play against Steve Mizerak. I almost crapped my pants when he won the lag and tossed a 3 pack on me to get things started. It was all downhill for me from there - I was awestruck - nervous - playing wayyyyyy out of my league - but I had the balls to show up, screw my cue together, take the beating - and the ridicule I received from friends and family that told me I had no business playing the top pros.

When a 14 year old has the balls to hook-em-up with THE GREATEST PLAYER IN HISTORY - and is able to put a few games together - run a few racks - he gets my respect.

For those that have come on here and made the negative comments, they probably couldn't have done half as well as Austin did - given the pressure, exposure, and chance of a lifetime opportunity to play a legend.

Back in 1988, I was playing in a tournament and I drew Cowboy Jimmy Moore in the first round. I was talking to Randyg - I told him what bad luck I had about drawing (of all people) Cowboy Jimmy Moore to start the tournament. I'll never forget what Randy said to me that day - He said, "It's not bad luck at all - what a wonderful opportunity to be able to play and learn from a legend." I've kept that with me for almost 20 years now, because it is the best attitude for anybody to take when they are playing the elite.

Austin has a great career ahead of him, this is just the beginning. He has played the greatest player that the world has to offer, and he knows where he stands. The match against Efren is no longer a "what if" for Austin. In 25 years he can tell the story of how he fared against The Magician in this match. I look forward to seeing the young guns, such as Austin, Landon Shuffett, Justin Bergman - they are the future of our game - and they all have my utmost respect, support, and admiration.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
easy-e said:
Word. Some people are just born as A-holes.

First of all I don't know what match the people who bashed that youngster were watching, but what I saw was a great young player with tons of skill.

I agree that anyone who would bash such a great young player is way out of line.

But .. .back to the A-hole thing. While I watched this great fun match, (and "listened" to it) I wonder if the real A-hole would please stand up. :rolleyes:

cubc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SpiderWebComm said:
Here's how I see it....

EVERY SINGLE PERSON I've EVEEEEEEEEER seen post on here has dogged their GUTS out in front of GROUPS of people. I don't care who you are, what world championship you've won, you've puked on yourself sometime in your life. Maybe long ago, maybe yesterday - or you might do it tomorrow.

I think people voted Austin in because they knew he has game and it's a stark contrast to have a 14-year-old play the best. How much electricity would there have been if he played over his head? It'd be like all the little Hulkamaniacs running wild on AZB posting a gazillion posts about how he's a genius and a prodigy, etc.etc. I'm the first to admit, he was out-gunned no matter how he played and it wasn't the most exciting match-up (for my personal tastes) - but cut the kid a break.

The bottom line is that young kid who dogged out against arguably the best ever would take the HEART of nearly every player on here for the cash and make those posters PUKE and DOG in front of their own families, if you ever invited your family along to watch you get bashed by someone who can't even drive legally yet.

True statements. Everyone does go through it. I still remember the match, game, and specific shot where I was shaking like a leaf. I know many people are hoping I choke in 16 days too.

The kid did seem very polite and well mannered. I do agree with what Mike Sigel said about the spin on the ball though... the same thing Earl told someone who went to the archer / earl pool school too. If he adds that to his game it'll help.

olauzon

HANK THE TANK
Silver Member
i think it's more about making a provocative or stupid comment. normal people back off or explain while others, damn well knowing that they're in the wrong, are stupid enough to stick with it; in their minds being special and separating themselves from the crowd. and they are, negatively.

i voted for Austin because i would've loved saying today i played Fats in a money game when i was 14. Austin will always be a favorite of mine.

oh man, i should've been divilsh in that post... #666

wt.. and got 66 inbox messages.. (is that a tail?.. damn i got a tail too..)

Last edited:

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
> Don't look at me,I never said a word. Personally,I think it took balls to just get up there. Tommy D.

Ktown D

Neverwuzzz
Silver Member
DeadPoked said:
I think it's really telling of a persons character to come on here and bash a young kid, who frequents this forums and a fellow AZ'er if you will, that was only trying to fullfill a dream of playing against the greatest player ever.

I think it took a lot of bravery for the kid to put himself in that position to play against the best player in the world and to be such a huge underdog in front of so many people. The only thing I've ever heard anyone bash the kid on is his maturity level and I think this match was a big stepping stone in gaining maturity on the table. I did not see the very end of the match but I did see most of it and the interviews and I thought Austin handled himself very well.

After Austin was able to get his nerves in check he started playing some very good pool. I believe he ran the table off Efrens dry break and then followed that up with the first break and run of the match. I remember seeing Efrens face when Austin started to really play, you could tell that he knew he had to pull back the reins on the kid and it was time to get serious.

I feel that it was a treat to be able to watch a match between the greatest player ever who is nearing the end of competitive pool career and a future star who is just coming into his own.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to DeadPoked again.

Good post man. I was thinkin along those same lines but I am too damn lazy to type as much as you do.:)

bigskyjake

you heard the man
Silver Member
what's the deal with pickles beef with Austin. He's been talking shit about him for quite a while now. My guess would be some kind of super-envy

Southpaw

Swing away, Meril....
Silver Member
DeadPoked said:

I agree 100%. Austin should chalk this one up to exposure....He is 14 and will absorb alot right now and learn to use it to his advantage. Good job, Ausitn...

Southpaw

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
...useless arguing...deleted
sorry azb

Last edited:

catscradle

<< 2 all-time greats
Silver Member
DeadPoked said:

Maybe I missed something because I've been busy and missed a lot of posts on that subject, but I didn't think anybody was really bashing Austin. True, some people were brutally frank, but I don't really see anything wrong with that. When you throw yourself in the public eye, that comes with the territory.
I admire the kid's balls, but personally I think the viewing public would have been better served by a less lopsided match-up.

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
I've seen Austin progress his game since he was 9 years old.

His Parents and brother have been with him (at least his Dad has attended all of them) in almost every tournament he's played in.

Austin is also a baseball and tennis player for his high school. He is considered the best of the high school team as a freshman. Austin's dad was a semi-pro tennis player. Austin's dad is his primary coach and mentor.

I admire the parents dedication to their sons (both Austin and Braden). Braden plays at least 2 Wheelchair events a year. Braden seems to always cash in those events.

And if it hasn't been discussed before... Austin hasn't discovered the effects of the female attractions yet!!!

Last edited:

bigskyjake

you heard the man
Silver Member
Tom In Cincy said:
I've seen Austin progress his game since he was 19 years old.
His Parents and brother have been with him (at least his Dad has attended all of them) in almost every tournament he's played in.

Austin is also a baseball and tennis player for his high school. He is considered the best of the high school team as a freshman. Austin's dad was a semi-pro tennis player. Austin's dad is his primary coach and mentor.

I admire the parents dedication to their sons (both Austin and Braden). Braden plays at least 2 Wheelchair events a year. Braden seems to always cash in those events.

And if it hasn't been discussed before... Austin hasn't discovered the effects of the female attractions yet!!!

He's only 14 years old