Little scenario at home with apa rules.

burnmarkpubcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My uncle and I where playing apa 8 ball and I missed a shot and after about 30 seconds later one of my object balls that was sitting on the edge of a pocket dropped without my uncle hitting the table. So we where curious on what was the correct call in this situation.

Thanks for your time..

brokenarrowjbe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BAll goes back to table, I believe.
From the APA rule book:
Note: If a ball which has been hanging in a pocket for more than a few seconds suddenly falls in, it is to be placed back on the table where it was originally.

However, this is from the 9 ball rules, not 8 ball.
http://www.poolplayers.com/8-9-ball-Rules.pdf
See the above PDF for official rules.

Winston846

Aspiring 14.1 Player
Silver Member
From the APA rule book:
Note: If a ball which has been hanging in a pocket for more than a few seconds suddenly falls in, it is to be placed back on the table where it was originally.

Assuming it's a barbox, then the question becomes "Who puts up the quarters to get the ball back"? ;)

burnmarkpubcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am pretty sure it is replaced if you are no longer at the table.

From the APA rule book:

Thank you both .

rackem

SUPPORT CLUB MEMBERSHIP
Silver Member
But since it is a barbox and APA most of the time the table is opened so replacing it would work.

PaulieB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sure this frustrates others as well, but why make a set of rules and leave them so ambiguous? What exactly is the definition of "for more than a few seconds"? Why not just say 3 seconds? You know someone is gonna say 6 seconds counts as a "few seconds" and they should be allowed to keep shooting.

Just seems silly to me.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sure this frustrates others as well, but why make a set of rules and leave them so ambiguous? What exactly is the definition of "for more than a few seconds"? Why not just say 3 seconds?

Could you honestly tell the diffeence between 3 seconds and 4 seconds without a stop watch while being distracted with having just lost (or gained!) your spot at the table?

Secondly, if you specified 3 seconds in the rules, what happens at 3.1 seconds? 3.05 seconds,..... 3.99 seconds ?

When I play (under more gentlemanly rules) if his ball falls before I take the next shot, I give him the table back.

Total_Chaos13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But since it is a barbox and APA most of the time the table is opened so replacing it would work.

Man that must be nice to get an open table during apa. We have to drop quarters. We get no free table time playing apa around here unless its one of the APA's tournaments, and then we only get free table time once it starts, no free practice.

All the tables are $1.00 around here. I would more than happily pay extra for open tables. As it is now when me and the wife both shoot we blow through 10 bucks in quarters in no time. With 2-3 practice games before hand, and if we both shoot 8 and 9 we send 13-16 in quarters a night.

Out of curiosity what do you pay in league dues where you get open tables? We play double jeopardy 2 days a week. Our fees are $48 per team weekly. Luckily the bar we shoot out of pays half so we only have to pay 24 per night. We all just give 5 each a night and the left over money at the end of each session is used to pay for playoffs or the first few weeks of the next one.

Winston846

Aspiring 14.1 Player
Silver Member
Not necessarily...

When I played APA, very few of the tables were ever actually opened. I'm guessing that probably had something to do with the vending companies that owned them. And some bars put up the quarters and some didn't. In the ones that didn't, we were on our own.

TheNewSharkster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They open the tables for my APA league as well but everyone pays "green fees" at the start of each session. It comes out to be $5 per player so a lot less than $1 per game split over the course of the season.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Out of curiosity what do you pay in league dues where you get open tables? We play double jeopardy 2 days a week. Our fees are $48 per team weekly. Luckily the bar we shoot out of pays half so we only have to pay 24 per night. We all just give 5 each a night and the left over money at the end of each session is used to pay for playoffs or the first few weeks of the next one.

The one place we play at that has coin-op tables opens them up for league night. Everywhere else is drop-pocket tables. 9-footers everywhere, even the coin-ops.

We pay $40 per team, per week. Free practice tables, too. Although we do have better than average payouts at the end of session, at least going by what folks say here on AZB. Just cashed our second-place check for last session this morning, $448. 1st thru 4th place "cash", every session here.

burnmarkpubcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Could you honestly tell the diffeence between 3 seconds and 4 seconds without a stop watch while being distracted with having just lost (or gained!) your spot at the table?

Secondly, if you specified 3 seconds in the rules, what happens at 3.1 seconds? 3.05 seconds,..... 3.99 seconds ?

When I play (under more gentlemanly rules) if his ball falls before I take the next shot, I give him the table back.

Thats what we ended up doing. Then I said I would ask azbilliards and we will find out. Didn't know it was going to be this difficult though lol.. :)