I almost killed my opponent last night at league--literally!!!

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
no I chose to play their sub on a rerack. I already felt bad about getting him worked up

You guys continued to play? Seems like the match should have been cancelled for the night. How could his teammates play? They must have been very concerned about his health

hunger strike

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I laughed hard as well

lmao!! i spit soda all over the keyboard.

yeah, if I had soda in my mouth when I read this I would have spewed as well. I hope he posts good ones like this more often. That being said, isn't the forfeit a given? Maybe you should have turned one of the striped balls to where it was striped from your vantage point and solid from his, or vice versa. Now that's a good compromise. They need to make a one ball that's spotted to help those with life-endangering levels of OCD. If you don't know how bad OCD can get, my former boss had a neighbor who owned a huge corner lot and cut her entire lawn on all fours with scissors. When she got to one end the other had grown back..... If you don't know how FUNNY OCD can be, then look up the Squidbillies episode where the serial killer squid locks up and can't kill grandma..... "because nobody ever let me get to 33 before"

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Yep, the old "heart attack rack", if you know on whom, and when, to pull it, it works pretty often. :D

J

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Don't fret over your decision and the decision of the league operator.

The heart attack had nothing to do with your decisions.

The guy just had a bad heart and a bad attitude.

You are all good as far as this is concerned.......and don't forget that.

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
no I chose to play their sub on a rerack. I already felt bad about getting him worked up
I call BS on this entire story. No teammate in their right mind, or at least one with a sliver of compassion, would continue playing if one of their teammates is close to death. Story is false or vastly exaggerated.

Poolhalljunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
not false

I was there seen the paramedics me and sme buddies were like WTH. When we seen them roll in witht he stretcher and all their gear.

Travis3c

AV Pool Nut
Silver Member
i guarantee the story is not false, as soon as the ambulance left. The room went back to playing. His teamates were looking for a sub during all the commotion.

worktheknight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can almost relate with you. Playing in a state tournament, I scratched from the break, waited for cue ball to come out the table (bar box), picked it out of the hole and handed it to my opponent coming to the table. I changed my break two games later and drew it back into the corner pocket where I caught it and turned to hand the cue ball to my opponent who had not got his butt of his chair yet and he went ballistic yelling and causing a scene because I was handing him the cue ball. Long story short, he couldn't get out and when I was up 4-0 in a race to 5, he starts sharking me. Ticked me off and I start the color of money treatment (Mcgrady Style) on him, making a ball, talking out loud to drown him out as I took over and ran that table. He was so mad that when his wife finally said something to him, I thought he was going to something real bad. Operators stepped in and tossed him from the tournament on the spot. Sadly, it would not have suprised me if he would have dropped to the floor. Sometimes, folks get real short tempered and have no patience at the onslaught of a major medical situation. This easily could have been your situation. You were just fine and did nothing wrong. As they say, wrong place...wrong time. Hope he recovers and finds his patience again. All will be good hopefully.

PaulieB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder how they chose the substitute. I know if my captain asked the team "Ok, who wants to play the guy who just killed his last opponent?" there would be a whole lot of "NOT IT!" replies, heh.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I thought random placement of all but the 8, the two insiders different, and one each on the corner was the rule? Everthing else is random, right?

I racked random ('cept the above rules) the other night and my opponent complained about too many solids together on one side and he asked me to rearrange the balls. I said but the rules say random. He didn't care about that.

So, I reracked them exactly as he wanted them. I would have put them anyway he wanted them, no matter how. I'd have put them in a straight line if he wanted it that way.

Then I beat him.

Jeff Livingston

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I always thought you were supposed to have a solid in one corner and a stripe in the other. And to mix up the rest as best possible. As such, I got into the habit of a particular sequence, and I guess I'm OCD enough that I rack the same way every time. (I even started putting the same balls in the corner. Something I started one night when a friend seemed to be putting in the same corner ball three rails every break. It was fun to see and I wanted to make it easier to track, so I kept putting the three there. That stuck, too.

st st
so 8 st
st so st so
3 st so so 9

No one has given me any grief about it, and I rack a lot! :p

OP, you did nothing wrong. Must've been a crazy night. Hopefully your opponent makes a swift recovery, and you'll have a story to tell forever.

Travis3c

AV Pool Nut
Silver Member
i talked to him the following day, hes not doing to good. He apologized to me and then I gave him an apology for working him up. He is a regular and I was very surprised that the racking issue came up. He said Im the only person in the room that racks exactly the same every rack and he thought i was setting the rack to my advantage.

I rack the same even if Im racking for my opponent also.

rackem

SUPPORT CLUB MEMBERSHIP
Silver Member
Actually I think although legal your rack pattern is a little bit lopsided.
This is more like it should be.
s
-s
s8-
-s-s
s-ss-

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kind of related: one of our Kitsap county BCA players got shoved and his head landed on a curb a couple weeks ago and he is still in a coma while his wife just had their first child.

Really tragic. Be thankful for what you have everyday.