Finish to make up the wrap grove?

cnyncrvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Recently had a customer bring me an older Mc Dermott that he had tried to refinish himself because he "Cracked the finish on the butt end of the cue" He wanted me to refinish and install a new wrap. I ended up turning the job down because I am not setup for cue finishing. The customer had tried in vain to refinish the butt cap himself. He had removed the old linen wrap and started to sand the butt and soon noticed that as he sanded the clear finish away, the wrap groove was diminishing. So much so that at the butt you can barely feel that there was ever a wrap groove there.

So my question is: Are some manufacturer's actually finishing a cue and then going back and cutting through the clear finish to the base material to establish their wrap groove's and if so how would you pro's go about dealing with that in the case of a refinish job?

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
FWIW, you did the right thing in refusing the work. Not all would have.
There are very few who are actually equipped to do a compatible McD UV finish.
The ambitious client would be best served at this point by ceasing his attempts and
sending the cue to McD and have them make the necessary repairs.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
To answer your question about finish process, I clearcoat the forearm and buttsleeve, overlapping the wrap area, then take a SHARP carbide cutter to just touch the edge of the groove at each end.

Sanding the clear at the edges will require a refinishing of those areas to restore a proper groove.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Recently had a customer bring me an older Mc Dermott that he had tried to refinish himself because he "Cracked the finish on the butt end of the cue" He wanted me to refinish and install a new wrap. I ended up turning the job down because I am not setup for cue finishing. The customer had tried in vain to refinish the butt cap himself. He had removed the old linen wrap and started to sand the butt and soon noticed that as he sanded the clear finish away, the wrap groove was diminishing. So much so that at the butt you can barely feel that there was ever a wrap groove there.

So my question is: Are some manufacturer's actually finishing a cue and then going back and cutting through the clear finish to the base material to establish their wrap groove's and if so how would you pro's go about dealing with that in the case of a refinish job?

It really helps to have some knowledge of finishes that others use and how thick. Every cue should be looked at on an individual basis. They are not all the same. People that think, they can do what we do, usually do more harm then good.