New CNC coming soon

jameson

Registered
Please keep in mind the pictures are of an unfinished machine. I will post pics of it completed before it is shipped and try to make a video of it running. Thanks

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
nice!
cnc goes way over my head & I might be too old to change.
But i've built/modified plenty of machines.

So my question is, are you machining the carriage and top ways? what are the materials? If not, where do you get the parts? I can see some applications for components like that.

Thanks!
smt

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Please keep in mind the pictures are of an unfinished machine. I will post pics of it completed before it is shipped and try to make a video of it running. Thanks

IMHO, you're better off forgetting the lathe functions of the machine.
Make it a dedicated CNC turning center .
Use enclosed linear actuators and make it 4 axis.

Reactions: JC

Guerra Cues

I build one cue at a time
Silver Member
Joey,

The CNC has X, Y and A axis, the Z is adjustable manually. The headstock has a closed loop stepper as well and it spins like a regular motor for tapering and indexes like a A axis head as well. I’m sure Shane can give more technical details on it. Your suggestions are valid for sure. Hope all is well with you Joey.

jameson

Registered
It is 3 axis, x is diameter z is length and a is head. The spindle has to be adjusted manually. The lathe functions sets this machine apart from other machines. By making it cnc you now have a machine that has digital readouts and the ability to index your tools so that when you change tools your readout will change to match the tool. You can batch run jobs like cutting tendons on shafts, you would write a program insert shaft and hit a button and watch it cut the tenon for you. The lathe should have the ability to do live threading also but I have not attempted any yet. This lathe is designed to be an all around machine that can be setup for multiple tasks.

jameson

Registered
IMHO, you're better off forgetting the lathe functions of the machine.
Make it a dedicated CNC turning center .
Use enclosed linear actuators and make it 4 axis.

This is what tony is doing, his machine is specifically for tapering and cutting pockets for true points. In order to use a stationary machine tool the motor has to be changed to a standard dc motor that has more torque than a closed loop stepper. The closed loop stepper is for low speed low torque applications like tapering with a live tool.

jameson

Registered
nice!
cnc goes way over my head & I might be too old to change.
But i've built/modified plenty of machines.

So my question is, are you machining the carriage and top ways? what are the materials? If not, where do you get the parts? I can see some applications for components like that.

Thanks!
smt

The lathe itself is bought from midamerica lathes and I modify it to be cnc. My brackets that I make are made of 3/8" 6061 aluminum

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Personally I would skip the tool post, focus on a true 4 axis design and maybe a larger diameter ballscrew and linear rails.
Prices on CNC machines has dropped quite a bit the last years. My 24x48 was about $4000 with true 4 axis capability and a 2.2Kw ER20 spindle

jameson

Registered
Personally I would skip the tool post, focus on a true 4 axis design and maybe a larger diameter ballscrew and linear rails.
Prices on CNC machines has dropped quite a bit the last years. My 24x48 was about $4000 with true 4 axis capability and a 2.2Kw ER20 spindle

A cnc router is a valuable asset in a shop but you absolutely must have a lathe and people don't usually have enough money to purchase both. This setup gives the user the most bang for the buck, it allows a person to build a cue from start to finish.

I am not building these for the money and I'm not trying to sell anybody something they don't need. I started out building these for myself and word got around about them and I am just trying to help people out if they want one. I'm not doing it for the money, I'm doing it because I think it's a good setup and it could be a valuable addition to someone's shop.

Guerra Cues

I build one cue at a time
Silver Member
A cnc router is a valuable asset in a shop but you absolutely must have a lathe and people don't usually have enough money to purchase both. This setup gives the user the most bang for the buck, it allows a person to build a cue from start to finish.

I am not building these for the money and I'm not trying to sell anybody something they don't need. I started out building these for myself and word got around about them and I am just trying to help people out if they want one. I'm not doing it for the money, I'm doing it because I think it's a good setup and it could be a valuable addition to someone's shop.

And we all appreciate your efforts Shane.
I know it will be awesome.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Ok, I really didn`t think about that. Can you flip the router mount horizontally so you can use the router to live thread?

ELBeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, I really didn`t think about that. Can you flip the router mount horizontally so you can use the router to live thread?

Good question. I'm assuming you're asking about ID threading since the outer threads can be done with a straight fluted endmill.

jameson

Registered

The way I am planning on doing Internal threads would be with a dremel or rotozip mounted to the quick change tool post. It's more efficient than unbolting the spindle and it can be indexed into the cnc tool table

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can we get a concise list of everything included? Something just seems off to me. I know what I paid for my lathe, and what it sells for brand new. Somehow I’m not seeing the extra $2500-$3000 of value for that.

jameson

Registered
Can we get a concise list of everything included? Something just seems off to me. I know what I paid for my lathe, and what it sells for brand new. Somehow I’m not seeing the extra $2500-$3000 of value for that.

There isn't really a set price, because there are so many options of how the machine can be setup. $4500 is just a number representing a possible combination of parts and to let possible buyers know a possible price.

Yes, you can buy a manual cue lathe from Mid America for $1500 or their tapering machine for $2600 to $3000 plus shipping and handling and your more than welcome to do so but the CNC will not perform like my setup will. I purchase my lathes from Mid America to build these machines.

When I get Tony's machine finished I will take pictures and I will post a price for a machine with these options.

I also don't care for the way you are assuming that I am trying to price gouge customers. I assume you are a cue builder? Its like me jumping on a cue you are trying to sell and questioning how much the parts cost then saying I can get a Mcdermot Lucky for $50 so what makes your cue so special. Its just rude, I have worked hard and put a lot of time in designing this machine so yes I do expect to make some money for my labor and time spent.